Bariatric Surgery Pros/Cons Experiences

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJexie

Rachel
Reaction score
I am about a year into a Bariatric program, and I'm really seeking some honest opinions and experiences with bariatric surgery. Has anyone had surgery before? Was it successful? Any regrets? Any advice? I want ALL the information I can get.

(Extra info on me...optional read lol)

I've been overweight most of my life, but I only found it to be troublesome within the past two years. Once my weight started changing how often I was active, or started changing how I felt about myself, that's when I knew I had to do something. I've been in the bariatric program now since February of 2013. I've had a LOT of time to work on myself as well as think about if this is the right choice for me. So far in the program I have done the following:

- Bariatric Seminar

- Updated Physical, OBGYN, Blood work etc

- Appointment for evaluation and acceptance into program

- Individual behavioral medicine meeting

- 6 mandatory behavioral medicine group meetings

- A "how-to" class on exercise

- Introduction to Nutrition Class

- 4 Nutritionist appointments

- 3 voluntary behavorial medicine meetings

What I have left to do:

- Meet my weight loss goal (at least 5% of body weight must be lost before surgery)

- Meet with the surgeon to decide what kind of surgery I want

- Nutrition Meeting about what to eat after surgery

- Surgery!

I think that I have some reservations because I'm already hearing that I'm taking the "easy way out" from people. That bothers me so much because I've been working hard for a year now, not to mention working hard my entire life to try and get this weight off. People seem to forget that surgery is a tool, not a cure-all.

I am thinking of getting the Gastric Sleeve, but I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone that has had surgery before and what they think. I'd also love to hear the opinions of people who haven't had the surgery on what they think of people who do, or what they think of it in general.

This is basically my last chance to really make a decision once and for all on the matter and I want to make sure it's the right one!

No not me. But I am in hospital a lot for my heart condition and heard things there not the stories one wants to hear.

Google searches will bring up forums for persons  for WLS = weight loss surgery.

And the Dimensions fat acceptance forum has a WLS section where people post their experiences.

Some years ago I saw a tv documentary about a Haitian woman living in USA who went for WLS in Miami Florida.

Her surgeon Dr Oscar Hernandez and his youtube video about his diet plan you might try that

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_KhubX4go

If that helps a bit in aiding you then follow up with www.caloriecount.about.com

site over there the site explains how to keep food diary and activity diary.

Hope this helps.

I haven't had WLS myself, but I have known people who have, and I haven't heard any horror stories from them.  I think it's a very viable option that you researched with an open and unbiased mind.  I don't think there is ANY shame or reason to feel like you're taking an easy way out.  People who have never struggled with a weight problem often don't understand that it's isn't as easy as they think.  

It seems like you've made excellent progress toward this goal and I hope you see it through!

Quote: Originally Posted by BelleBeryl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  No not me. But I am in hospital a lot for my heart condition and heard things there not the stories one wants to hear.

Google searches will bring up forums for persons  for WLS = weight loss surgery.

And the Dimensions fat acceptance forum has a WLS section where people post their experiences.

Some years ago I saw a tv documentary about a Haitian woman living in USA who went for WLS in Miami Florida.

Her surgeon Dr Oscar Hernandez and his youtube video about his diet plan you might try that

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj_KhubX4go

If that helps a bit in aiding you then follow up with www.caloriecount.about.com

site over there the site explains how to keep food diary and activity diary.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your input! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have done a lot of online research, and have heard some of the horror stories, but I've also heard wonderful things about the surgery as well, which is why I thought I'd come here and see if any of the MUT girls have had experience with it.

I have been actively using myfitnesspal as a way to keep track of my calories/food etc and it works very well. However, I'm pretty much done with 'diets' as I feel they are usually dangerous/temporary. Not to mention I spent my entire life dieting and it has lead me here, still overweight. So I'm trying to monitor my food with myfitnesspal as well as being more active, however it's obvious to me that if I want to lose a significant amount of weight that I'm probably going to need surgery.

Also I should probably add that I have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) which causes me to have a lot of issues losing weight.

I'm not looking for a new diet or anything, more or less just some personal experiences or personal thoughts/feelings about weight loss surgery or thoughts/feelings about people that have it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I haven't had weight loss surgery. I have only known one person who has had it and she was just an acquaintance, so my only knowledge of it is from tv shows, articles etc.

I think if a person puts the proper effort into it before hand, like you seem to be doing, it can be a great way to go. It seems like so many people don't put the effort in before or after surgery and just expect it to be like magic and work...then are bummed when it doesn't go well.

It really sounds like you've put in the proper effort and are prepared to work hard for this. You've researched and done all the proper planning and prepping. I think you know more about what you should do than anyone else and you should follow your insticts!

I am over weight and need to lose quite a bit, but for me, I really don't think it would be the best option, but I am all for people doing it that feel it is what they need. I don't think negatively of people who have any of the weight loss surgeries available. Everyone should do whatever will work best for them to become healthy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Kelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I haven't had weight loss surgery. I have only known one person who has had it and she was just an acquaintance, so my only knowledge of it is from tv shows, articles etc.

I think if a person puts the proper effort into it before hand, like you seem to be doing, it can be a great way to go. It seems like so many people don't put the effort in before or after surgery and just expect it to be like magic and work...then are bummed when it doesn't go well.

It really sounds like you've put in the proper effort and are prepared to work hard for this. You've researched and done all the proper planning and prepping. I think you know more about what you should do than anyone else and you should follow your insticts!

I am over weight and need to lose quite a bit, but for me, I really don't think it would be the best option, but I am all for people doing it that feel it is what they need. I don't think negatively of people who have any of the weight loss surgeries available. Everyone should do whatever will work best for them to become healthy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks so much for your input Kelli! I definitely agree that it's super important to do your research when considering weight loss surgery. I've been thinking about doing it for a few years now and kept doing research and then never going through with it. But now after a year of working toward surgery, I will eventually sit down with my surgeon and decide if it's what I want to do, which I think it is!

If you have health insurance and are interested in losing weight, call your healthcare provider and see what kind of programs they offer. The program I am in is a bariatric program, but there are lots of people in my monthly groups that aren't planning on getting surgery, but they need the support and the guidance of a group of people that know what they're going through, not to mention working in conjunction with a nutritionist etc has been invaluable. As a fat person, I always thought I knew everything their was to know about weight loss (people are always surprised when I say that, but no one knows about weight loss better than fatties! LOL) but doing this program has taught me so much!

Anyway, thanks for giving your feedback! It really helps me to hear other people weigh in on the situation (no pun intended!
icon_smile.gif
)

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thanks so much for your input Kelli! I definitely agree that it's super important to do your research when considering weight loss surgery. I've been thinking about doing it for a few years now and kept doing research and then never going through with it. But now after a year of working toward surgery, I will eventually sit down with my surgeon and decide if it's what I want to do, which I think it is!

If you have health insurance and are interested in losing weight, call your healthcare provider and see what kind of programs they offer. The program I am in is a bariatric program, but there are lots of people in my monthly groups that aren't planning on getting surgery, but they need the support and the guidance of a group of people that know what they're going through, not to mention working in conjunction with a nutritionist etc has been invaluable. As a fat person, I always thought I knew everything their was to know about weight loss (people are always surprised when I say that, but no one knows about weight loss better than fatties! LOL) but doing this program has taught me so much!

Anyway, thanks for giving your feedback! It really helps me to hear other people weigh in on the situation (no pun intended!
icon_smile.gif
)
LOL So true :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't have health insurance, so for now I am not able to do any programs, but when I do get healthcare, it's definitely something I will look into. I think all of the prep work you are doing and the stuff you mentioned, just without the surgery, could be helpful for me. I think I am at the place where I just need that extra little nudge in the right direction :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by MissJexie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I am about a year into a Bariatric program, and I'm really seeking some honest opinions and experiences with bariatric surgery. Has anyone had surgery before? Was it successful? Any regrets? Any advice? I want ALL the information I can get.

(Extra info on me...optional read lol)

I've been overweight most of my life, but I only found it to be troublesome within the past two years. Once my weight started changing how often I was active, or started changing how I felt about myself, that's when I knew I had to do something. I've been in the bariatric program now since February of 2013. I've had a LOT of time to work on myself as well as think about if this is the right choice for me. So far in the program I have done the following:

- Bariatric Seminar

- Updated Physical, OBGYN, Blood work etc

- Appointment for evaluation and acceptance into program

- Individual behavioral medicine meeting

- 6 mandatory behavioral medicine group meetings

- A "how-to" class on exercise

- Introduction to Nutrition Class

- 4 Nutritionist appointments

- 3 voluntary behavorial medicine meetings

What I have left to do:

- Meet my weight loss goal (at least 5% of body weight must be lost before surgery)

- Meet with the surgeon to decide what kind of surgery I want

- Nutrition Meeting about what to eat after surgery

- Surgery!

I think that I have some reservations because I'm already hearing that I'm taking the "easy way out" from people. That bothers me so much because I've been working hard for a year now, not to mention working hard my entire life to try and get this weight off. People seem to forget that surgery is a tool, not a cure-all.

I am thinking of getting the Gastric Sleeve, but I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone that has had surgery before and what they think. I'd also love to hear the opinions of people who haven't had the surgery on what they think of people who do, or what they think of it in general.

This is basically my last chance to really make a decision once and for all on the matter and I want to make sure it's the right one!

My mom has the sleeve right now, and it's worked really well for her. She's lost about 65 lbs since September with it.

Prior to the sleeve, she had the lap band. It did not work well for her. It caused her to throw up a lot when it was too tight, and she didn't lose hardly any weight and she had it for like 2 years. 

I think the sleeve is reversible, vs. gastric by pass surgery isn't. I think that would be comforting to know that if there is some adverse reaction or it doesn't work for you, you can reverse it. 

good luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by chaosintoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My mom has the sleeve right now, and it's worked really well for her. She's lost about 65 lbs since September with it.

Prior to the sleeve, she had the lap band. It did not work well for her. It caused her to throw up a lot when it was too tight, and she didn't lose hardly any weight and she had it for like 2 years. 

I think the sleeve is reversible, vs. gastric by pass surgery isn't. I think that would be comforting to know that if there is some adverse reaction or it doesn't work for you, you can reverse it. 

good luck!

Thanks for sharing that! I remember years ago I was considering the lap band because at the seminar I went to, they were pushing it as a safer alternative to gastric bypass. The sleeve was still new and they mentioned it, but said it was still an experimental surgery etc, so I was leaning toward the lap band years ago, until I did more research and realized that there were so many risks of corrosion, the endless visits to fill/unfill etc, having a foreign object in my body like that just seems really weird so I decided to wait and see if I could lose the weight on my own.

Years later, I'm actually bigger than I was back then, so now I know I need some kind of surgical intervention. I am SO glad to hear yet another successful story in regards to the gastric sleeve. The complications and issues surrounding bypass always made me very nervous, but after doing my research it seems that not only is the sleeve a faster and easier surgery, but there are much less complications after the fact. I'm happy to hear your mom is doing well this far out from surgery! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just randomly found this thread and accidentally clicked on it, but felt it necessary to comment! I can't pretend that I personally know what you're going through, but I know several people who are overweight and are going through the struggles that you are! My old supervisor who I still keep in contact with got gastric bypass. She lost a ton of weight, but did have a lot of side effects. Most of it was due to post op nutrition. She had a hard time getting the adequate vitamins and minerals since she wasn't eating that much food. She looked quite sick for awhile and started losing her hair. She also got really weak. Luckily, those effects went away after some dr appointments to pinpoint her exact deficiencies. And as for the stigma of having the surgery, I personally would never look down on someone for it. You never know what's going on with a person that keeps the weight from coming off with more conventional methods. I know several overweight people who have thyroid issues. The medications they take prevent them from losing weight even with diet and exercise! I used to be in healthcare and you wouldn't believe how many medications cause weight gain as a side effect. Not to mention that some people may have medical issues that prevent them from exercising. I might be in the minority, but I would assume that if someone is willing to go through surgery and deal with the pain of recovery, they probably really need it. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and everything goes well for you! Good luck!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just randomly found this thread and accidentally clicked on it, but felt it necessary to comment! I can't pretend that I personally know what you're going through, but I know several people who are overweight and are going through the struggles that you are! My old supervisor who I still keep in contact with got gastric bypass. She lost a ton of weight, but did have a lot of side effects. Most of it was due to post op nutrition. She had a hard time getting the adequate vitamins and minerals since she wasn't eating that much food. She looked quite sick for awhile and started losing her hair. She also got really weak. Luckily, those effects went away after some dr appointments to pinpoint her exact deficiencies. And as for the stigma of having the surgery, I personally would never look down on someone for it. You never know what's going on with a person that keeps the weight from coming off with more conventional methods. I know several overweight people who have thyroid issues. The medications they take prevent them from losing weight even with diet and exercise! I used to be in healthcare and you wouldn't believe how many medications cause weight gain as a side effect. Not to mention that some people may have medical issues that prevent them from exercising. I might be in the minority, but I would assume that if someone is willing to go through surgery and deal with the pain of recovery, they probably really need it. I hope you make the right decision for yourself and everything goes well for you! Good luck!!!

Thanks so much for stumbling on this thread and giving your feedback, it's really appreciated! I did have concerns about the vitamin deficiencies and complications after surgery, however I've been told that getting the gastric sleeve rather than bypass, you actually have less of a chance of developing deficiencies/malabsorption etc, so that's why I'm considering it over bypass. I have heard that there is nothing you can do about losing your hair, it just happens to almost everyone, I guess! I am already on a very strict vitamin/supplement regimen because of other health issues, and I do take Biotin due to having very thin/weak hair and nails already, so what's more hair lost for the sake of overall health, right? (that's what I keep telling myself LOL)

Thanks so much for your kind words! <3

Thanks so much for stumbling on this thread and giving your feedback, it's really appreciated! I did have concerns about the vitamin deficiencies and complications after surgery, however I've been told that getting the gastric sleeve rather than bypass, you actually have less of a chance of developing deficiencies/malabsorption etc, so that's why I'm considering it over bypass. I have heard that there is nothing you can do about losing your hair, it just happens to almost everyone, I guess! I am already on a very strict vitamin/supplement regimen because of other health issues, and I do take Biotin due to having very thin/weak hair and nails already, so what's more hair lost for the sake of overall health, right? (that's what I keep telling myself LOL) Thanks so much for your kind words! <3
You have such a great outlook on everything and seem quite determined to get healthy and not just thin! I think that is what's going to make you come through it all ahead! Bravo to you! And I have to say your profile pictures always look gorgeous. You totally look like a much prettier version of Kat Von D! :)

Quote: Originally Posted by caseybean025 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You have such a great outlook on everything and seem quite determined to get healthy and not just thin! I think that is what's going to make you come through it all ahead! Bravo to you! And I have to say your profile pictures always look gorgeous. You totally look like a much prettier version of Kat Von D! :)
HAHAH oh thank you so much! The funny thing is my bestie and I are both a little chunky and she (lovingly of course!) calls me Fat Von D! LMAO ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I guess we'll have to find a new nickname for me after the surgery! I am absolutely determined to get healthy, this isn't about weight for me at all. I've always been pretty confident as a larger person but when I started getting TOO big and it was interfering with my ability to be active and be healthy, I knew it was finally time to do something about it other than a new diet every year!

Back