Makeup Allergies

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am currently experiencing an itchy breakout on my face from one or more of my makeup products. I think I'm allergic to the Maybelline Instant Pore Eraser or the MAC Pro Longwear Concealer. Anyone else ever experienced a breakout?

I've had problems with Maybelline's eyeliners in the past. I quit buying most drugstore makeup. So much of it I was allergic to, and I switched to more high end and indie brands, and so far I haven't had any problems.

A few weeks ago I noticed a small dry patch on each of my eye lids. I thought that's all it was, so when it didn't go away for a week I put some eye cream on it and the next day both my lids were swollen. I've been using this eye cream for a year now, so I don't think that caused the initial problem. I think it just irritated it. I'm pretty sure it's one of the new shades of shadow I was playing around with. I haven't been wearing shadow for two weeks now, and I can still see the faintest hint of the patches there on my lids and sometimes they get a bit itchy.

I've never had a reaction to cosmetics before.

My fiance recently woke up with both eyes swollen shut after using a new face wash the night before. He looked like he just lost a boxing match! It took a few days before he looked normal again. I felt pretty bad for him.

I have super sensitive eyes, especially my right one. I tend to not stray from a few certain products because I know I will get reactions, which really sucks. I always see new shades of eye shadow or eyeliner colors, but I know if I don't stick to specific brands (L'Oreal, NYX, Jordana, Urban Decay) I will definitely wake up with swollen eyelids. It's so weird too because I never had any problems with any makeup brands until about a year ago. 
confused.gif

I have fine itchy bumps on the side of my face, eyelids and temples. I also have itchiness under my eyes. I wish I knew which product caused this.

Don't forget to include your skin care products, including your removers and toners in your assessment.

Don't forget to include your skin care products, including your removers and toners in your assessment.
Thank you. That never crossed my mind. I have been a new witch hazel and moisterizer lately.

[@]vogueboy[/@] can you give me any tips on skin care products? I have been using organic skin care and there's not much info out there about it.

Thank you. That never crossed my mind. I have been a new witch hazel and moisterizer lately.
Witch Hazel is a mild toner. What type of moisturizer are you using? I suggest getting a skin consult done to really nail down what product(s) you're having difficultly with. This will save you weeks in trial and error, as it takes the skin 5-7 days to figure itself out with new products being put on it... And that's just with one product, not several, as we all layer products on in our routines.
[@]vogueboy[/@] can you give me any tips on skin care products? I have been using organic skin care and there's not much info out there about it.
Well, all I can say is, how are you finding the organic versions? Any positive / negative results? If you're buying your products from a drugstore, ask the sales associate to help you with the line, if they can't, ask them when the regional or local rep will be in, that way you can get first hand face-to-face information from them. (All brands have reps that visit the stores at least 1-2 times a month to check on stock, numbers etc). As for skin care tips in general... The best tip I can give, is to get a skin care consultation done to determine your skins pH balance. You can get this done at most, if not all department store cosmetic counters. That way you'll have a much better understanding of what your skin care needs are, and what types of products that you can confidently choose from. Good luck.

Witch Hazel is a mild toner. What type of moisturizer are you using? I suggest getting a skin consult done to really nail down what product(s) you're having difficultly with. This will save you weeks in trial and error, as it takes the skin 5-7 days to figure itself out with new products being put on it... And that's just with one product, not several, as we all layer products on in our routines. I've been using Trader Joe's Nourish Oil-Free Antioxidant Facial Moisturizer for a little over a week.

So I have a few allergies to skincare and makeup. I find silicones and synthetic fragrance to be the biggest culprit in my reactions. So far, I've had luck with natural/organic brands such as 100% Pure, Juice Beauty, W3LL People, Origins, Tarte, etc., but it's hard to find replacements for MAC type products. I've heard great things about Kjaer Weiss, but the transition is an expensive one. Also look into Christopher Drummond products, he has some very high quality stuff. I'd say the easiest switch, for me, was to Tarte, as it isn't fully natural/organic so you don't lose as much of the effect. For me it was ALOT of trial and error, and required shopping sites with generous return policies! For instance, I've learned the coconut oil-based RMS products were too heavy for my face, although they are well-reted (I personally didn't love the products, so it was an easy loss). As far as skincare, I know this sounds SUPER crunchy but honestly, it's the ONLY combo that has worked for me: Raw Honey (from trader joe's, the thick cloudy stuff, ~4.99), Acure Organics Resurfacing Restorative Lotion (not sure of the exact name), and Acure Organic's Argan Oil. Raw honey has antibacterial properties that has really cleared up the mess that is my skin. Argan Oil is magic, and I really like the price and effectiveness of Acure's product line. I will say the first step would be to avoid products with added synthetic fragrance and heavy silicones.... Then go from there! Good luck! I know how frustrating this all is, but it's nice in the end once you've found a routine that works!

So I have a few allergies to skincare and makeup. I find silicones and synthetic fragrance to be the biggest culprit in my reactions. So far, I've had luck with natural/organic brands such as 100% Pure, Juice Beauty, W3LL People, Origins, Tarte, etc., but it's hard to find replacements for MAC type products. I've heard great things about Kjaer Weiss, but the transition is an expensive one. Also look into Christopher Drummond products, he has some very high quality stuff. I'd say the easiest switch, for me, was to Tarte, as it isn't fully natural/organic so you don't lose as much of the effect. For me it was ALOT of trial and error, and required shopping sites with generous return policies! For instance, I've learned the coconut oil-based RMS products were too heavy for my face, although they are well-reted (I personally didn't love the products, so it was an easy loss). As far as skincare, I know this sounds SUPER crunchy but honestly, it's the ONLY combo that has worked for me: Raw Honey (from trader joe's, the thick cloudy stuff, ~4.99), Acure Organics Resurfacing Restorative Lotion (not sure of the exact name), and Acure Organic's Argan Oil. Raw honey has antibacterial properties that has really cleared up the mess that is my skin. Argan Oil is magic, and I really like the price and effectiveness of Acure's product line. I will say the first step would be to avoid products with added synthetic fragrance and heavy silicones.... Then go from there! Good luck! I know how frustrating this all is, but it's nice in the end once you've found a routine that works!
[@]camel11[/@] Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look into these products. I worked late last night and used my makeup wipes (cheap ones I got from the beauty supply store) to remove my makeup. This morning I experienced some itching on my face so that is one product I will be eliminating. I now need to find a replacement for them.

I use unscented baby wipes to get off my makeup, but definitely find I still need to wash my face after. But, they don't seem to irritate my skin.

An indie brand I really like is Rooted Beauty, and they have really quality organic/natural products that haven't irritated my skin. I would suggest their raspberry citrus facial wipes, but they have witch hazel in them... so if its your current skin care products with witch hazel bothering you, then you might not want to try it. Here's the link if you wanna check them out: http://www.rooted-beauty.com/product/raspberry-citrus-facial-wipes/

I kept buying Acne-fighting primers and foundations and wondering why they didn't work- turns out I'm majorly allergic to  witch hazel. Geez, my face was soooo sore.

Also one of my ELF eyeliners (pencil one) made my eye go so wonky and watery, I couldn't see for half a day. Missed school. D:

It sucked because DANG that colour was gorgeous, and I didn't even put it on my waterline!

Also, Vichy eye cream... burns in the worst way.

I kept buying Acne-fighting primers and foundations and wondering why they didn't work- turns out I'm majorly allergic to  witch hazel. Geez, my face was soooo sore. Also one of my ELF eyeliners (pencil one) made my eye go so wonky and watery, I couldn't see for half a day. Missed school. D: It sucked because DANG that colour was gorgeous, and I didn't even put it on my waterline! Also, Vichy eye cream... burns in the worst way.
I had been using witch hazel on my face each night and every morning. I stopped using it after my break out. Around my eye area felt so sore and looked raw. My eye lids and the rest of my face was itchy and it burned and tingle. It's healing now and I'm experiencing some flakiness around my eye area.
https://www.makeuptalk.com/content/type

Gosh, it's terrible that it happened, I hope you get well! Although I am a teeny bit relieved to know I'm not the only one, haha.

For the future, when you don't know which product is making you break out, apply a small bit to the skin on the inside of your elbow and wait 24 hours, keeping an eye out for reactions!

Just going to add in here, that wipes of any kind, are just a quick fix. I highly reccommend the typical 3 step process for your cleansing routine. I've written a few posts in a make-up removal thread, that I normally use wipes on actors / models at the end of the day or whenever they wrap, this is because I need to get them out of the trailer and off the clock as quickly as possible. And I always recommend to them (but they already know) to use their usual 3 step cleansing routine when they get home or when they get to their hotel.

Is the pore eraser that baby skin stuff? If so, I had the same issue with it. Breaking me out like crazy, sides of my face are red and bumpy now, I'm done with it. It's not the silicone since I don't have issues with that usually, but somethng in there isn't agreeing with my skin.

Is the pore eraser that baby skin stuff? If so, I had the same issue with it. Breaking me out like crazy, sides of my face are red and bumpy now, I'm done with it. It's not the silicone since I don't have issues with that usually, but somethng in there isn't agreeing with my skin.
Yes it is. The issue now is I had another breakout/flare up on yesterday and have been itching and taking Benadryl all night. I used all of my old products like MOM, BH cosmetics foundation and my Fix+. I also used my normal face wash and coconut oil. I have an appt to see a dermatologist on Tuesday but the patches itche so bad. I've bee. Medicine test samples on my inner arm and haven't gotten a reaction yet. I'm going to take a break from makeup for a while.

Latest posts

Back