Out of Control Curls

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey girls, I have really curly hair that is dry and prone to frizz. I've tried lots of different serums and mousses but none seem to work can any of you help? Getting sick of wasting money on things that never do anything HELP! Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have fine, thin permed hair. The magic ingredient for me is silicone (cyclomethicone, dimethicone, etc). I always check the ingredients list before I buy a product. I also use an apple cider vinegar or citric acid rinse as the last step after washing my hair. The acid makes the cuticle of your hair contract, which makes the strands appear smoother. For coarse hair I've heard of using glycerine from the drugstore. That was a tip I heard on another forum from a stylist who uses it on her daughter's hair.

Quote: Originally Posted by jjbeauty123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hey girls, I have really curly hair that is dry and prone to frizz. I've tried lots of different serums and mousses but none seem to work can any of you help? Getting sick of wasting money on things that never do anything HELP! Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What is your routine and what products (actual names so that we can check ingredients) are you using? Right off the bat, though, it sounds like your hair needs more moisture, possibly a leave-in conditioner at the least. 

Hi, a friend with curly hair recently advised me to try new products based on Argan oil, called Argan dew.

I have wavy hair and I am very pleased with the results! I feel that it nourishes my hair and defines my waves!

You should maybe try it, they have few different products!

I think using a good conditioner and deep conditioning frequently is key to having decent curls. Hair gets frizzy when it lacks moisture. Try using a good moisturizing conditioner (drugstore is fine) after shampooing and apply it from root to tip of your hair making sure all sections are covered. Let it sit for at least five minutes and then rinse in cool water. Also, apply a leave in conditioner and don't touch your hair while it is drying. For deep conditioner, use a salon brand like Morrocanoil or Macadamia Natural Oil mask. Apply it from root to tip and put on a shower cap. Leave it on for half an hour and rinse in cool water. Do this once or twice a week depending on how damaged your hair is.

Hey JJBeauty! 

I know I've had a similar problem all my life with my curly/ frizzy hair. I came across TIGI Curls Rock Conditioner and it seemed to show some improvement. Don't apply it on your roots as it may get your hair greasy but it did a great job for my hair. I came across this on mybeautycompare.com in my personalized recommendations after I inputted my details. It's quite useful as I don't think I would've ever tried this conditioner if it had not been recommended to me. 

Let me know how you get on x 

Not all curls are created equal. I have very very thick 3A (bordering 3B) beige blonde curly hair. Although my hair is dry, putting anything with oil in it causes me to have to wash daily, which is really bad for curly girls. Too much serum also weighs down my curls making them look like cooked spaghetti. I use coconut oil ONLY on the ends and only once a week. Have you tried Ouidad or Devacurl products? I prefer ouidad and use their stuff as well as miss jessie's. It has made a difference. I also only use shampoo once a week and use cowash and dry shampoo other days. And I use a deep conditioning mask every other week.

It's difficult to recommend a specific product, as everyone curls are different, but general rule of thumb is moisturize and texturize. For some people products with silicones are life savers, for others (like me) they just make matters worse. Some curelies swear by co-washing (that is using conditioner instead of shampoo), but does not work for everyone. Bottom line is there is no cut and dry answer, you have to experiment and find out what works for your hair. Here is a forum for curlies I found very helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter has loose curly shoulder length hair and she has found that by using Pro Naturals Hair Repair System following their regime her hair is very manageable and healthy.   The shampoo, conditioner, hair mask and the leave in treatment all contain Argania Spinosa as a common ingredient.

Have any of you tried any of the Carol's Daughter? Is there any anti-frizz products (preferably more natural brand) that you could recommend? Trying to find a good anti frizz product (for after washing to leave in hair)

Let me know if you have any recommendations! Thanks! :smilehappyyes:  

- Kailey

Try the new Dove Quench Absolute line for coarse curly hair. It smells amazing!! I bought the Quench Absolute crème serum and i am in love with it! It made my curls so soft, didnt take much for my long thick hair and it actually held the scent which is impossible for my hair! Its around 6 bucks at walmart. So worth it! They also have the shampoo, conditioner and two tubs of intense treatment mask and maybe a deep conditioner i think. Cant remember exactly what they were but i plan on purchasing all of it soon.

I see that this is an old post but I have some info that can help. You should look up the Curly Girl Method (aka CG). Like others stated, everyones hair is different. I don't know what kind of mousse you use, but if it contains alcohol it'll definitely dry your hair out. See if your shampoo contains sulfates, which could also be drying out your hair. I have 3a/3b curls and moisture will mean everything to keep your curls looking good!

I have really thick curly/kinky hair down to my waist. It's type 3A on top and 3B underneath. Recently I've been using DevaCurl One Condition. I use it as a conditioner at night, and then again as a leave-in conditioner (mostly at the ends). (@@klt19 - I recommend trying this product, as it's sulfate-, paraben-, and silicone-free) I wrap my hair in a low bun before bed. In the morning, I let it down and just air dry. Sometimes I add a little Macadamia spray oil on the top where it can get frizzy. I find that the weight of my hair, combined with this routine, has enabled my curls to stay manageable throughout the day. By the end of the day, it inevitably becomes a bit frizzy/messy, so If I go out at night, I'll put a little of Lush's R&B hair moisturizer on my hands and scrunch my curls (especially underneath!) to try and relieve some of the frizz.

Just my two cents  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Try deep condition your hair every week and co washing your hair every other day .Oil your hair a lot. The natural oils from your body doesn't get down your whole hair strand as quickly as straight hair because it's not going straight down. Hope this helped

Last edited by a moderator:
Back