redjill

(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsoliviaaah View Post

The only mystery anything I ever ordered was Secret Surprise #1 from the Secret Store this month. While I admit I'm satisfied with what I received, that is the only taste of any Julep mystery crap that I will allow myself to have for the forseeable future. Watching the quality of mystery boxes slip from month to month is pretty sickening, considering the cult following Julep seemed to work so hard for back in 2011-2012. & I know I just said this in an earlier post but...samples? REALLY? In a mystery box claiming to have $100+ retail value?

Seriously. The mystery boxes when I first started out as a maven were uh-mazing. I don't know if I am on Julep overload (over 100 bottles) or what but all of the mystery boxes for the last few months have been seriously disappointing, and they didn't even necessarily contain dupes. I am very glad I have not bought any and have waited for spoilers. 

• Like 1

Seriously. The mystery boxes when I first started out as a maven were uh-mazing. I don't know if I am on Julep overload (over 100 bottles) or what but all of the mystery boxes for the last few months have been seriously disappointing, and they didn't even necessarily contain dupes. I am very glad I have not bought any and have waited for spoilers. 
I agree, the mystery box when I first got started in May of last year was amazing. Even the secret stores was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunii View Post

I agree, the mystery box when I first got started in May of last year was amazing. Even the secret stores was better.

The last good mystery box was definitely the the Galaxy one. They gave you all the colors to create a specific look and each variation made sense to the overall theme of the "Galaxy" nail look. I hope they eventually go back to that idea and be more thoughtful in putting together future mystery boxes but I highly doubt that will happen. 

• Like 1

I think part of the problem with the mystery boxes is that they are releasing too many of them. They used to only do seasonal/holiday boxes and they have now shifted to one every month. Maybe they should go back and only offer them a few times a year so they can offer new polishes and fun mysteries without having to unload all their extra polish and products. The amount of polish Julep releases is crazy --with a new collection every month, birthstone polishes, extra mystery colors, "exclusive" colors to them and various stores, and the other promotions they often do. I think it's time for Julep to scale back, offer fun/exciting/new colors to their monthly mavens, and then focus on all the extra promotions, although from a business perspective (and especially now with their investors) I don't know if that is possible.

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post

I think part of the problem with the mystery boxes is that they are releasing too many of them. They used to only do seasonal/holiday boxes and they have now shifted to one every month. Maybe they should go back and only offer them a few times a year so they can offer new polishes and fun mysteries without having to unload all their extra polish and products. The amount of polish Julep releases is crazy --with a new collection every month, birthstone polishes, extra mystery colors, "exclusive" colors to them and various stores, and the other promotions they often do. I think it's time for Julep to scale back, offer fun/exciting/new colors to their monthly mavens, and then focus on all the extra promotions, although from a business perspective (and especially now with their investors) I don't know if that is possible.

I think, from a business perspective that they make more money off of the smaller, identical mystery boxes than what they were doing with the mystery boxes a year or ago. Sadly, that means that it looks like the mystery boxes are a dumping ground for overstock because "it's a mystery, what you get is what you get", which is a smart way to offload extra stock from a business standpoint, but not from a consumer standpoint because they're the ones who are receiving the extra stock, which may be duplicates for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChick View Post

I think, from a business perspective that they make more money off of the smaller, identical mystery boxes than what they were doing with the mystery boxes a year or ago. Sadly, that means that it looks like the mystery boxes are a dumping ground for overstock because "it's a mystery, what you get is what you get", which is a smart way to offload extra stock from a business standpoint, but not from a consumer standpoint because they're the ones who are receiving the extra stock, which may be duplicates for them.

If they were smarter, they would mix some good stuff in with the junk.  If people felt like half the box was good and half they could do without, they'd probably be more inclined to purchase future boxes...  I got one of the St Pat's boxes and truly, could do without nearly ALL of it...  Had I gotten one of these Spring boxes, I would have felt mostly the same...  

It would be easier to swallow orange crackle polish if it was offset by something you loved/what you expected - you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keewee10 View Post

If they were smarter, they would mix some good stuff in with the junk.  If people felt like half the box was good and half they could do without, they'd probably be more inclined to purchase future boxes...  I got one of the St Pat's boxes and truly, could do without nearly ALL of it...  Had I gotten one of these Spring boxes, I would have felt mostly the same...  

It would be easier to swallow orange crackle polish if it was offset by something you loved/what you expected - you know?

They used to do that with the older mystery boxes, you might get a meh color, but there were some good ones that made up for the bad one. Now.... it feels like the mystery boxes are a way to churn through overstock on the (I'm guessing here) colors that didn't sell well.

The mystery boxes as of late have sucked hard. I was *thinking* about getting the Emerson box, but for my hard earned $25, I got THIS from Sephora instead which was $25, plus I got my VIB 15% discount. Much better:

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStupenda View Post

The mystery boxes as of late have sucked hard. I was *thinking* about getting the Emerson box, but for my hard earned $25, I got THIS from Sephora instead which was $25, plus I got my VIB 15% discount. Much better:

That's such a cute little set - great score!  It has two of my favorite things in it, nail polish and lipgloss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post

I completely agree with you!  They just keep releasing mystery boxes and it seems like so much.  I had gotten the December mystery box and I was pretty happy with it, but I also used a 30% off code that made it cheaper than the 25 bucks and so I felt like it was a better deal at the lower price point.  I haven't ordered a mystery box since then because I wait for the spoilers and then think to myself, why wouldn't I just put that 25 towards products I can pick and actually want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keewee10 View Post

Completely this... I would have been so sad to order a SPRING mystery box and get fall and winter colors.  It doesn't even make sense to me why they would do that.  And you'd think they could throw in like 1 newer color per box that actually matches the season.  I know they want to make full price on those, but we all know in 6 months the new polishes will be add-ons or in the sale section anyway.  It would make people a lot happier to get a surprise polish from the current or last month's maven boxes than some color from December that you might have to wait 6 months to actually wear.

• Like 1

I just remember ordering a $40 mystery box and getting at least 8 polishes, 3 products, and then whatever extra they included. Those were great.... I guess price wise compared to quantity of products it's about the same but the large quantity allowed for only some product to be overstock offload rather than the whole box.

My last favorite mystery box was in November. The polishes were fall appropriate and went with the theme. December was okay, then they skipped January and from then on its been a disappointment. I used to look forward more to the mystery boxes than the Maven window. Those days are gone I guess.

• Like 1

I guess it's for the best. I've spent less on Julep recently than I have in a while. Just the monthly collections & birthstone polish each month.

My last favorite mystery box was in November. The polishes were fall appropriate and went with the theme. December was okay, then they skipped January and from then on its been a disappointment. I used to look forward more to the mystery boxes than the Maven window. Those days are gone I guess.
I think if they did a mystery box at least every 2 months, the quality would probably increase a ton.

Money speaks ladies. I figure my complaining isn't going to do anything, and I'm not throwing any more money at some of the garbage julep tries. I've given up on mystery boxes. It was hard at first, but I don't miss them anymore. If we really want to see any change, we have to show them we aren't going to pay for this. It's tough, but julep is a business, and the first priority of a business is money. Always. This is how they're going to get the message.

• Like 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaSaurusRex View Post

Money speaks ladies.
I figure my complaining isn't going to do anything, and I'm not throwing any more money at some of the garbage julep tries. I've given up on mystery boxes. It was hard at first, but I don't miss them anymore. If we really want to see any change, we have to show them we aren't going to pay for this. It's tough, but julep is a business, and the first priority of a business is money. Always. This is how they're going to get the message.

I agree!

I quit getting mystery boxes this year because the "mystery" is gone.  I know what will be in the them:  nothing I want or need.

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bflopolska View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorwenlindorie View Post

Just wondering if you had any exciting updates?

The mystery package turned out to be an Open Sky order of a lip stain-lip gloss set. It was sent so quickly it didn't occur to me that it was Open Sky--they are hit and miss, much of the time the shipping is almost as bad as Hautelook's. This time I lucked out and it was shipped the day after ordering. I had expected two to three weeks before I saw it. Also, it came from a distributor in NJ  and did not show up as Open Sky on the tracking email sent.

Of course, this boils down to a replacement Julep box that still has not gone out! :icon_mad:

Sorry to hear that, im still waiting on my April box. Julep is hit or miss with their shipping for me the last two orders I placed came so fast I couldn't believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLesal View Post

Here are the pictures that I promised with a bonus of my son, who gets more excited about the wrapping materials and boxes that my beauty products come in than I do about the products themselves!

It's the Bombshell Welcome Box, Billie Jean (which I'm not too happy with, and I'm going to have to buy a polish thinner to be able to use), Monica, and the Stardusters duo. Super loving the Mighty Serum too.  I have issues with hangnails, so hopefully this will be my solution! 

Also, here's my Stardusters duo painted on.  My nails aren't as pretty as most of yours probably are, as I type for a living, and if I don't keep them short I lose my mind!

Nice haul, & your son is too cute!

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishingwillow View Post

So. I caved.

What is it with 2 a.m. shopping?

Anyway, I ended up with Emerson Mystery Box. I debated back and forth, but since I have a Hard Candy shade in a speckled purple tone from last yeart his seemed the better option. I ended up getting it even though the codes no longer seem to work, WITH the mystery option add on. I hope I don't regret everything in the morning. Mostly I think this was the result of months of restraint, as my husband was laid off for nearly six months and things got tight. But he is working again and things are looking up and...

Now I have more nail polish.

I'll let everyone know how that goes.

Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your husband got a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaStupenda View Post

Great choice!

Well, i got a response to my email. They sent me a gift card for $14. I am okay with this. I will spend it to get good colors of nail polish. Ill probably have to pay shipping... Still, Im surprised they did anything at all. Im not quite sure how I feel. I dont think i will ever purchase a mystery box again. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffyra View Post

Well, i got a response to my email.

They sent me a gift card for $14. I am okay with this. I will spend it to get good colors of nail polish. Ill probably have to pay shipping...

Still, Im surprised they did anything at all. Im not quite sure how I feel. I dont think i will ever purchase a mystery box again. Ever.

good for you. have you been a longtime subscriber? what did your email say?

Im not a maven. I cancelled after my free box. I cant use that much polish! I just said how disappointed I was and that a spring box should have spring colors. That Id felt misled. And that I would appreciate it if they sent me at least two spring colors as a replacement. Oh and that I felt I couldn't spend my money with a business thst did this to their customers. it wasn't an angry email. Was more of an " I'm so disappointed in you" email. And i spent the $14, used perk30, got 5 polishes and spent my own money on one often plus shipping. So, from their perspective, it worked because I spent $12 with them (8$ was tax and shipping so really only $4).

For those of you who bought Brigette, how do you like it? I passed on it because I thought it was just another white polish like Nicolette (which I already have). But then I realized how thick and goopy Nicolette is, and I remembered it was described as a "French white". Maybe Nicolette is better for classic French manicures and Brigette is better for an all over white nail? Wonder if I should buy Brigette at some point...

So I tried phoebe out this weekend and boy is it a stainer!  I put it on Saturday night and when I went to take it off last night, it was like it turned into food coloring the second the remover hit it.  My skin got stained just holding the cotton balls to remove it.  I had to wash my hands with a nail scrubber 3 times before i could get my nails to a point that I felt comfortable painting them again because I didn't want to lock it in.  So..  fair warning.  I think that one is going to go on my trade list.  

Last night I tried out bailey and it is SO goopy and thin.  It's almost like a crelly. It bubbled pretty badly so I think that's going to end up on my trade list as well.

Maren has a really nice application, though and looks pretty without a top coat but it really pops when you throw a top coat over it.

• Like 1