Jump to content
redjill

(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Recommended Posts

Hopefully they're learning from their mistakes with these mystery boxes that you can't just throw crap in a box and expect your customers to be happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok so I ordered the Kimberly after freaking out that the solo polish would sell out by the time the mystery boxes stopped, as Fiona is sold out already after it was an add on. I should add Kimberly is my name and i was UBER excited to have a very pretty namesake polish FINALLY after being a maven for a year. 

 

Gotta say my biggest upset is that the Kimberly box stated it was BOHO Glam  which was the only reason I buckled because there were a lot of shades I didn't have yet and wanted in BG. Now I see your spoiler at almost half are not even BOHO shades, VERY upset and after my third mystery box I'm never buying one again.

 

As for April I got the polish upgrade and Fiona and I'm thrilled with every single shade even through some take multiple coats. I'm wearing the light pink today and it took about 4 coats to get mostly opaque, after taking off Phoebe for a week which stained yes but that's why I polish before bed, so that all staining and mistakes come off in my morning shower. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconik View Post
 

So I tried phoebe out this weekend and boy is it a stainer!  I put it on Saturday night and when I went to take it off last night, it was like it turned into food coloring the second the remover hit it.  My skin got stained just holding the cotton balls to remove it.  I had to wash my hands with a nail scrubber 3 times before i could get my nails to a point that I felt comfortable painting them again because I didn't want to lock it in.  So..  fair warning.  I think that one is going to go on my trade list.  

 

Last night I tried out bailey and it is SO goopy and thin.  It's almost like a crelly. It bubbled pretty badly so I think that's going to end up on my trade list as well.

 

Maren has a really nice application, though and looks pretty without a top coat but it really pops when you throw a top coat over it.

I had the same problem with Bailey.  It pooled on the sides of my nails (and since it's sheer that looked really stupid), took forever to dry, and bubbled on me too.  It was also so goopy, like actually had strings of polish hanging off the brush, that I got annoyed and just took it off.

 

I love Julep's colors and finishes but I have been getting a lot more into OPI and Zoya lately because their formulas are so much easier to work with most of the time.  When I used Tatum from the April box it took so long to dry.  I did two thin coats and waited for them to dry in between and still I had dents in my nails two hours later because the polish didn't harden properly.  I rarely have that problem with OPI, Zoya, or China Glaze.

 

It's making me rethink being a subscriber.  While the polishes are gorgeous I feel like most of the time when I do a Julep manicure it's going to be a two hour process between base coat, 2-3 layers of polish, and top coat just because of the dry time.  Last night I did an OPI manicure and was done within an hour with two coats.  Plus the Julep bottles are so tiny.  I used Kayla this weekend and, no joke, it took almost 1/4 of a bottle to do a mani and my nails aren't even long right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylights View Post
 

I had the same problem with Bailey.  It pooled on the sides of my nails (and since it's sheer that looked really stupid), took forever to dry, and bubbled on me too.  It was also so goopy, like actually had strings of polish hanging off the brush, that I got annoyed and just took it off.

 

I love Julep's colors and finishes but I have been getting a lot more into OPI and Zoya lately because their formulas are so much easier to work with most of the time.  When I used Tatum from the April box it took so long to dry.  I did two thin coats and waited for them to dry in between and still I had dents in my nails two hours later because the polish didn't harden properly.  I rarely have that problem with OPI, Zoya, or China Glaze.

 

It's making me rethink being a subscriber.  While the polishes are gorgeous I feel like most of the time when I do a Julep manicure it's going to be a two hour process between base coat, 2-3 layers of polish, and top coat just because of the dry time.  Last night I did an OPI manicure and was done within an hour with two coats.  Plus the Julep bottles are so tiny.  I used Kayla this weekend and, no joke, it took almost 1/4 of a bottle to do a mani and my nails aren't even long right now.  

I put Bailey on this weekend too and it was honestly the worst polish I have ever used. I had the exact same problems as you and I also took it off immediately because it looked so bad on. I had all the patience in the world when putting it on and it was still a goopy mess.  

 

OPI is my all time favorite nail polish brand and I also really enjoy Zoya. After using those polishes, the long bottle and brush of Julep is such a pain! I have a large Julep collection and their polishes have a long wear-time for me (when the formulas are right) but I have been skipping more often than not lately and one of the main reasons I still subscribe is to not lose my skip privilege. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylights View Post
.....
when I do a Julep manicure it's going to be a two hour process between base coat, 2-3 layers of polish, and top coat just because of the dry time.  Last night I did an OPI manicure and was done within an hour with two coats.  Plus the Julep bottles are so tiny.  I used Kayla this weekend and, no joke, it took almost 1/4 of a bottle to do a mani and my nails aren't even long right now.  ....

 

Which top coat do you use? Is it a quick dry?   I can't imagine doing a manicure that took 2 hours (or even an hour for that matter) in any brand of polish, I just don't have the patience!   For me, I do my manicures before bed (the only time I have to do it)- base coat (either the julep one or either an essie or zoya), 2 coats julep (though I def have 1 coater juleps, which are my favorites) and then seche vite on top.  10 minutes, 15 tops.  I never have problems with smudging (or bubbling) or not drying (it's dry/hard enough that it won't stick to the sheets) and of course by morning, it's obviously 100% hard/dry. 

 

Do you live in a very humid area maybe?   It blows my mind that a mani could take hours... (if not doing super fancy nail art stuff that is)  :icon_eek:   I didn't even think I was that fast at applying polish, but maybe I am.... dang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily V View Post
 

 

Which top coat do you use? Is it a quick dry?   I can't imagine doing a manicure that took 2 hours (or even an hour for that matter) in any brand of polish, I just don't have the patience!   For me, I do my manicures before bed (the only time I have to do it)- base coat (either the julep one or either an essie or zoya), 2 coats julep (though I def have 1 coater juleps, which are my favorites) and then seche vite on top.  10 minutes, 15 tops.  I never have problems with smudging (or bubbling) or not drying (it's dry/hard enough that it won't stick to the sheets) and of course by morning, it's obviously 100% hard/dry. 

 

Do you live in a very humid area maybe?   It blows my mind that a mani could take hours... (if not doing super fancy nail art stuff that is)  :icon_eek:   I didn't even think I was that fast at applying polish, but maybe I am.... dang.

I also do my manis at night.  I use either Orly Rubberized base coat, Seche Vite base, or OPI Nail Envy Original.  I do like to let all layers dry thoroughly before applying the next, if possible, so maybe that's why it takes me so long.  That time also includes cuticle clean up with a q-tip.

 

For example when I did my Kayla mani on Thursday I used:  2 coats of nail envy (which dried fast), one coat of Julep Brigitte (this one took FOREVER to dry.  Almost a half hour later it was still smudging!), and 2 rather thin coats of Kayla with 15-20 minutes of dry time between coats.  Then I used Seche top coat.  The Seche did help dry the layers, but in the morning I still had a few nails with light smudges.  So all of that took about 1.5 hours and still wasn't dry completely when I went to bed.  I did get a TON of compliments on Kayla this weekend and the color is truly gorgeous (especially with the white underneath - it made the color pop) but still - that was a super long time for a mani.

 

Last night: 1 coat of OPI Nail Envy, 2 coats OPI I'm Indi-A Mood For Love, and one coat of Seche and that was about 1/2 hour and looks perfect today.

 

I live in Denver, it's very dry here, so I don't think it's the humidity.  Something about Julep polishes just takes so much longer to dry on me than a lot of my other polishes and I have no idea why.  Maybe it's my body chemistry??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Argghhh I've been wanting a caddy but refuse to pay $30 for it. I was going to get one during the PERK30 promo but decided against it. Now I get this:

 

Treat yourself to 4 free polishes* when you buy a Color Caddy ›

Is 4 free polishes enough to make me cave?? It might be...

 

 

EDIT: Nevermind, this only works for certain polishes and I want none of them. Guess I'll continue waiting for the right deal to get a caddy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel S View Post
 

Argghhh I've been wanting a caddy but refuse to pay $30 for it. I was going to get one during the PERK30 promo but decided against it. Now I get this:

 

Treat yourself to 4 free polishes* when you buy a Color Caddy ›

Is 4 free polishes enough to make me cave?? It might be...

 

 

EDIT: Nevermind, this only works for certain polishes and I want none of them. Guess I'll continue waiting for the right deal to get a caddy.

I was excited about the email because I have been looking at the caddy and thought it was a pretty good deal to get 4 free polishes with it. Then I saw the choice of polishes and was so disappointed! I wish they would allow you to choose your own instead of having a limited selection of left-over polishes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still going to get the older polishes with the caddy. I've been wanting a caddy I can actually carry around, and I picked out five of the polishes you can choose (which four? Hmm). Nothing outstanding, but I'm not picky and like nearly all colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Girls, I need help! I bought myself an online gift card with one account using the PERK30 code and had it sent to my other account. But now I cannot find the email!?! Any idea how I can retrieve the gift card number??

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylights View Post
 

I had the same problem with Bailey.  It pooled on the sides of my nails (and since it's sheer that looked really stupid), took forever to dry, and bubbled on me too.  It was also so goopy, like actually had strings of polish hanging off the brush, that I got annoyed and just took it off.

 

 

I was really upset about this too, I got the full polish set and Bailey was the color I'd been looking most forward to. I went to put it on right away, it was the same with marion and caitlin. devastating, I've already used so much of these shades trying to do a single mani. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw the spoilers for the mystery boxes, I got Kimberly because it was my namesake and it was "boho glam" supposedly, however the spoilers someone posted earlier showed the some of the shades i will be getting are clearly not Boho Glam. I have gotten disappointing mystery boxes in the past but never really paid attention because my collection was still small....is this a common occurrence, has anyone received their mystery boxes yet to know if those spoilers are correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i thought maren was so difficult, I did three layers last night and a top coat, and another layer this morning. so watery and clear, I can see all nail imperfections below it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLesal View Post
 

I'm painting my nails with the Billie Jean right now, and holy moly it's taking forever to try and it's super thick.  I had read some people have trouble with their polishes.  This isn't the best first impression for me!

 

ETA:  I'm using a base coat and thin layers.  I can understand needing a thinner, but not for a brand new polish that they charge this much for! 

I'm kinda shocked Billie Jean is getting ripped on this thread, It was the first color i ever loved, i used it so much i got one for my mom and then they stopped selling it for about 6 months, so when it came back i panicked and bought two more. I've NEVER done that with any brand or polish before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublonderocker View Post
 

I'm kinda shocked Billie Jean is getting ripped on this thread, It was the first color i ever loved, i used it so much i got one for my mom and then they stopped selling it for about 6 months, so when it came back i panicked and bought two more. I've NEVER done that with any brand or polish before. 

 

I hadn't seen anyone other than myself "rip" it, but I'm just having an issue with the formula.  The one I received is too thick.  It was on sale, so that leads me to believe it was old stock.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublonderocker View Post
 

i thought maren was so difficult, I did three layers last night and a top coat, and another layer this morning. so watery and clear, I can see all nail imperfections below it. 

Oh no, I haven't tried that one yet.  I did buy Brigitte to put underneath some of the sheer shades from last month hoping it will help make them brighter.  But I also had problems with Brigitte being goopy and taking a long time to dry, and it's really uneven with one coat.  

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublonderocker View Post
 

I was really upset about this too, I got the full polish set and Bailey was the color I'd been looking most forward to. I went to put it on right away, it was the same with marion and caitlin. devastating, I've already used so much of these shades trying to do a single mani. 

Sigh.  Julep is not impressing me lately.  As I said earlier, I think I'm going to cancel this month unless I really love the colors.  I shouldn't have to fight with polish this much to get a good mani, especially with how much they charge ($14 full price, are you kidding me?? at least they have lots of sales).  And - if you finally get it on and looking good it takes forever to dry and I always wind up with a smudge that drives me nuts.  I have tried Bailey, Kayla, Brigitte and Tatum and all of them have issues.

 

I had really wanted Octavia but I found a Sinful Colors dupe for $2 that looks almost the same from the photos I've seen (My Buoyfriend). I might just start doing that with Julep polishes I like - try to find a cheaper dupe first. With a good base and top coat (Seche) as long as the formula isn't totally awful the cheaper brands last just as long on me since I change my mani every 3-4 days anyway. They have one similar to Harriet that I want to get next.  For $20 a month I could pick up 2-3 OPI polishes that have better formula and twice the amount of polish. or 10 Sinful Colors, or hit up the sales at Ulta or Sally's.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylights View Post
 

Oh no, I haven't tried that one yet.  I did buy Brigitte to put underneath some of the sheer shades from last month hoping it will help make them brighter.  But I also had problems with Brigitte being goopy and taking a long time to dry, and it's really uneven with one coat.  

 

Sigh.  Julep is not impressing me lately.  As I said earlier, I think I'm going to cancel this month unless I really love the colors.  I shouldn't have to fight with polish this much to get a good mani, especially with how much they charge ($14 full price, are you kidding me?? at least they have lots of sales).  And - if you finally get it on and looking good it takes forever to dry and I always wind up with a smudge that drives me nuts.  I have tried Bailey, Kayla, Brigitte and Tatum and all of them have issues.

 

I had really wanted Octavia but I found a Sinful Colors dupe for $2 that looks almost the same from the photos I've seen (My Buoyfriend). I might just start doing that with Julep polishes I like - try to find a cheaper dupe first. With a good base and top coat (Seche) as long as the formula isn't totally awful the cheaper brands last just as long on me since I change my mani every 3-4 days anyway. They have one similar to Harriet that I want to get next.  For $20 a month I could pick up 2-3 OPI polishes that have better formula and twice the amount of polish. or 10 Sinful Colors, or hit up the sales at Ulta or Sally's.

 

 

I did the same exact thing this weekend.  I knew that I would need a base for a lot of these sheer April colors since my nails are less than perfect.  Sinful Colors (at Rite Aid) has a white called 101 Snow Me White.  It gives complete coverage in one coat.  It was not a goopy mess and it dries quickly (unlike Bunny which is so thick it is not usable and it never dries).  I put it under my pastels and I am getting great wear this week. 

 

I did Maren over a coat of Gemma from Julep and it looked fine with one coat.  I added a 2nd coat to intensify the color, but I didn't have too.  Sinful Colors is 3 free and it costs $1.99 for .5 oz. I am also seriously thinking about spending much less $ at Julep and more money at Zoya - they have more exciting finishes in more colors and it is more product.  Not sure I am ready to cancel yet but I am lucky enough to have unlimited skips on Julep since I joined last year. 

 

  <-- not my nails a picture from the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post
 

I was excited about the email because I have been looking at the caddy and thought it was a pretty good deal to get 4 free polishes with it. Then I saw the choice of polishes and was so disappointed! I wish they would allow you to choose your own instead of having a limited selection of left-over polishes. 

I completely agree.  I was excited and then saw that I couldn't get the polishes I wanted.  I decided not to bother. I wish they would spell it out on the page or in the email rather than having to go to the site fill your cart and try the code to find out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post
 

I put Bailey on this weekend too and it was honestly the worst polish I have ever used. I had the exact same problems as you and I also took it off immediately because it looked so bad on. I had all the patience in the world when putting it on and it was still a goopy mess.  

 

OPI is my all time favorite nail polish brand and I also really enjoy Zoya. After using those polishes, the long bottle and brush of Julep is such a pain! I have a large Julep collection and their polishes have a long wear-time for me (when the formulas are right) but I have been skipping more often than not lately and one of the main reasons I still subscribe is to not lose my skip privilege. 

 

Agreed - I love the color of Bailey but the formula is terrible. Its tied with Bunny as the worst Julep polish I have. My bottle did the same thing - ran into the nail edge, pooled in weird patches on the nail and it looked disgusting over bare nails (a bad ugly gray effect - like they were intensely dirty).  It behaved better over a foundation layer of another polish, but then it had that weird matte finish and it took forever to dry.  I gave up on it and took it all off and did something else instead.

 

Julep said if you used non-acetone polish remover with greens it was supposed to help with the staining.  I have been trying that and it seemed to work with a light green I wore this week. but I haven't gone dark green since St Patricks which left my nails looking like "I had a disease." according to my son. (he was right they were terribly stained) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
i thought maren was so difficult, I did three layers last night and a top coat, and another layer this morning. so watery and clear, I can see all nail imperfections below it. 
Aww I love Maren. I did like it best with 3 coats but it was so pretty to me and lasted so long on my nails! Sometimes I wonder if different bottles of the same polish are inconsistent? I had a lot of trouble with Elisa last month and it didn't seem like anyone else did

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was excited about the email because I have been looking at the caddy and thought it was a pretty good deal to get 4 free polishes with it. Then I saw the choice of polishes and was so disappointed! I wish they would allow you to choose your own instead of having a limited selection of left-over polishes. 
What colors do we have to choose from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post

This section: 

 

http://www.julep.com/shop/nail-polish/fill-your-basket.html

 

The colors aren't bad actually...I just thought we could choose our own so I was a little disappointed. 

 

At first glance, I thought I already had all the colors off of that page that I wanted... But I was able to find 4 that I didn't already have. I also remembered that I bought myself a gift card with the PERK30 code, so I can get the caddy and 4 polishes with the g/c and not spend any more money than I already have! Unfortunately I somehow deleted the gift card email and am currently trying to retrieve it from Yahoo..... :( :(
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel S View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post
 

This section: 

 

http://www.julep.com/shop/nail-polish/fill-your-basket.html

 

The colors aren't bad actually...I just thought we could choose our own so I was a little disappointed. 

 



At first glance, I thought I already had all the colors off of that page that I wanted... But I was able to find 4 that I didn't already have. I also remembered that I bought myself a gift card with the PERK30 code, so I can get the caddy and 4 polishes with the g/c and not spend any more money than I already have! Unfortunately I somehow deleted the gift card email and am currently trying to retrieve it from Yahoo..... frown.giffrown.gif

That worked out quite well! I'm glad to hear it. I couldn't quite justify the purchase. I don't love the caddy and honesty don't know how often I'd use it. To each her own. I'm very happy for everyone this was a great option for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • NARS Cosmetics Shop Cargo Cosmetics Today!


  • Posts

    • As per my opinion, here are some ways to treat thin hair :-  Use gentle hair products. Use heat-free styling techniques.  Massage  scalp with nutritional oil. Try hair growth treatment Lower your stress.  Eat more protein.   Hope it helps you !!
    • Microdermabrasion Blackhead Remover Vacuum Suction Skin Care Tool Grab your Discounted Microdermabrasion Blackhead Remover Vacuum Suction Skin Care Tool 🌟Most Trusted Products🌟 Functions:  ✅Remove Blackhead, deeply clean face.  ✅For acne, pimple skin treatment.  ✅Treatment for the dry skin.  ✅Treatment for the sagging skin and wrinkle, skin Rejuvenation.  ✅Treatment for the stain and dull skin, reduce skin hyper pigmentation. Advantages:  ✅Massaging and lifting, the suction is bigger than traditional comedo suction probes.  ✅Four levels, suitable for different skin.  ✅Four suction heads, fit for different function and skin.  ✅Rechargeable with USB , easy and convenient to use.  ✅With light on the machine head, easy for you to see your skin clearly. Installation steps: Put the cotton into the filter, and then install the cover. Choose the suitable working and install it.  How to use:  ✅Wash your face, and use wet towel to clean it.  ✅Press ON/OFF to turn on the machine, set the speed.  ✅Operate it near the skin. Note: it is recommended not to stay in the same place for 2 seconds. Buy Now : https://www.ziloshop.com/collections/beauty-personal-care/products/microdermabrasion-blackhead-remover-vacuum-suction-skin-care-tool

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

MakeupTalk® Facebook

×