redjill

(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Ugh, I just remembered I ordered the Savannah set earlier this week when the FREEGOLD promo was going on. Those are all brights... now I'm thinking I don't need the full polish upgrade :) Maybe I'll have to choose... I was feeling like I Really needed Caitlin, but do you girls think it's too similar to Drew and Lauren? I have both of those!

Ok, now after seeing the swatches (thanks for the links!--I saw the blog but didn't get the email earlier) I'm going with It Girl and Felecia add-on. I don't really need the blush and can pick up any other polishes I want on sale later. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictodo View Post

I'm just not feeling these. All of them look so sheer, even the ones not labeled sheer.

I'm really worried about that too! They looked incredibly sheer and thin. 

Ugh. Do not like *any* of the box colors. The only one I want is Felicia. Skipping as soon as I can log on to the site via computer instead of just my phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieS131 View Post

I'm really worried about that too! They looked incredibly sheer and thin. 

In the swatches they show many of the colors with white undies. Gives you an idea of how much brighter they are with it.

Hmmm decisions decisions. I have enough Jules for a free box but Im not sure I want to use them. The only colors I like are Felicia and Caitlyn and I don't want a blush at all. I think I'll just buy add on spots from people in the swap group. I think the collection is really well done, just not exactly my style.

Ugh I hate my work computer. I can only use internet explorer and so much stuff is blocked--so I can't see the swatches in the links. Grrrr. I should have taken the day off so I could stay home and debate over the maven selection window and watch my Badgers hopefully win this morning!

• Like 1

I think it's bad when the one thing I want most from Julep this month isn't polish, but a blush!  That being said I'm a blush/bronzer junkie so I'm super into that, but really disappointed by the decision to go with sheers.  I keep looking at the swatch pictures thinking I'll get into it but just not sure.  

Now I'm looking at the swatches (was just looking at the selections on my phone before) and all I know is I don't want anything out of the Boho Glam box. Sunny looks like a dupe of Nessa (plus I've had enough of yellow dupes from Julep; Dahlia and Goldie are exactly the same to me) and Phoebe is a dupe for Holly. Felicia is really tempting, but I'm not sold on the idea of a mint green speckled polish. Green is a polish color I don't care much for.

Right now, I'm planning on going It Girl with Caitlin, Kayla, and maybe Tatum or Mariska. If not Tatum (again, not much for green) and Mariska (my go-to Julep orange is Bethany and this one is too close for me to cheat on it), a second of either Caitlin or Kayla because I have two friends with those names and I know each of them would love their namesake color. :)

The Bare Face cleansing oil was in the September 2013 box with the Blank Canvas primer and I think this was the product's launch. Since then, they had it as a Maven's choice option or something in Jan or Feb 2014, so quite recently. They had it paired with the konjac sponge and the double kajal liner. I missed my chance in September when I didn't realize I hadn't updated my credit card and had been on the look-out since then! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint View Post

I've been crossing my fingers for ages that the bare face cleansing oil would appear in a box but no such luck. I might just bite the bullet and buy it next month haha

For now I chose the bombshell box and added Felicia and Flora, but I'm still not totally sold on the bombshell box. I chose the peach blush, even though like I mentioned yesterday I haven't had good luck with peach blushes in the past, but it does look pretty. I just know I don't need yet another pink blush. I didn't love the bombshell polish colors when I first saw them yesterday, but I think I just chose that style because I don't already have similar polishes, and I really like Felicia and Flora! I should probably just skip and try to get those at a later time, which I very well may end up doing. I was also thinking of going with core classics and adding Felicia and Flora, but is $20 really a good deal for those items (cuticle serum pen and 4 oz polish remover)? At about $10 per item I don't know if I can justify that, since you can get polish remover so cheap at Target/Ulta/etc. The more I think about it, the more I think I am talking myself out of this box...

arrrgghhhh, cant decide if I want to add flora on or not, it's somewhat similar to bette (which I already have), but the lure of blue shimmer on it makes me want it... ughhhh....  and should I toss phoebe out of add-ons or not? (taking the bombshell box)  (I have holly, but it's more emerald greeny on me, and pheobe looks brighter green to me...).  help!

Flora:

Flora_l_LP.jpg

not my pic:  (bette)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8TZVpzg-Ck8/UOnni6aFJcI/AAAAAAAAB8o/Ed33M7Ola58/s1600/Julep+Bette+2.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8TZVpzg-Ck8/UOnni6aFJcI/AAAAAAAAB8o/Ed33M7Ola58/s1600/Julep+Bette+2.JPG

ETA- now I also remember that bette has a rubbery finish, so flora def has a more jelly/shimmer thing going on too.... ooooh, now im leaning towards flora again....  ahahahhaha...

The colors would be great for someone who doesn't have any of these yet.

Having said that, Sunny looks like it's either a dupe of or extremely similar to Nessa, the same with Phoebe - it looks like Angelina and Angela at first glance. I don't trust Julep's swatches. Now I wonder how close Tatum is to Mackenzie.

I'm normally an It Girl, so Flora and Maren look like near dupes of a couple of indies I received in my indie polish sub boxes in the past couple months, and while Bailey is screaming Tardis clone to me, it looks like Ally.

This is a definite skip for me - it reminds me too much of the bright box from last year.

arrrgghhhh, cant decide if I want to add flora on or not, it's somewhat similar to bette (which I already have), but the lure of blue shimmer on it makes me want it... ughhhh....  and should I toss phoebe out of add-ons or not? (taking the bombshell box)  (I have holly, but it's more emerald greeny on me, and pheobe looks brighter green to me...).  help! Flora: Flora_l_LP.jpg not my pic:  (bette) http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8TZVpzg-Ck8/UOnni6aFJcI/AAAAAAAAB8o/Ed33M7Ola58/s1600/Julep+Bette+2.JPGhttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8TZVpzg-Ck8/UOnni6aFJcI/AAAAAAAAB8o/Ed33M7Ola58/s1600/Julep+Bette+2.JPG ETA- now I also remember that bette has a rubbery finish, so flora def has a more jelly/shimmer thing going on too.... ooooh, now im leaning towards flora again....  ahahahhaha...
Not to enable or anything...but since Flora looks pretty sheer it might be really pretty as a glitter/shimmer topper over Bette!

HELP! I need you guys to give me your opinion. 

I have enough Jules for a free box and I mostly intend on using the Jules and not purchasing more boxes afterwards so I want to make sure that it's the right one for me. 

I honestly love blush so it feels like this would be a good one to buy. I'm also interested in the bronzer but not as much and I love the purple polish (Kayla). I would either just get the blush with Kayla and the green one (which I won't use). OR the blush and bronzer with Kayla as an add-on... 

Other dilemma... I LOVE brushes. I am tempted by the brush duo, I need a blush and bronzer blush actually, I'm not 100% satisfied with what I have. But that's 30$ of extras (35$ if I go with Kayla as an add-on)... but since the box is free... 

35$ for the blush, the bronzer, Kayla, the 2 brushes... Is not a bad price, right? 

5$ for the blush, bronzer and Kayla is an even better deal though

and 0$ for the blush and 2 polishes might be even better

Other option is to skip and wait to see next month if it's a better buy

What should I do?! 

I think my main problem with the monthly box is that they're always putting coupon codes out there (literally ALWAYS) that make it cheaper to buy polish without being a Maven. Plus the crazy cheap Saavy Deals category. I've picked up about 7 polishes on Saavy Deals for what I'll pay for 3 this month on It Girl. Yes they are "new" but who cares? Color is color... there are a bunch of them on that page that are spring/summer appropriate. 

Maven pricing if you upgrade puts the polishes at 5$ each. Unless the polishes go down to the 3-4$ pricing in savvy deals, it's often a better deal to take the maven box (if you upgrade, and like all the colors of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofserendip View Post

I think my main problem with the monthly box is that they're always putting coupon codes out there (literally ALWAYS) that make it cheaper to buy polish without being a Maven. Plus the crazy cheap Saavy Deals category. I've picked up about 7 polishes on Saavy Deals for what I'll pay for 3 this month on It Girl. Yes they are "new" but who cares? Color is color... there are a bunch of them on that page that are spring/summer appropriate. 

so far i have bombshell with felicia and phoebe.  i'm not much for creme's, but felicia's speckles remind me of robins eggs and quail eggs and just makes me happy and looks so darn cute (especially for easter!).  but not sure if that's enough to justify getting it...  oh well, a few more days, it is in my order just in case...

Julep is amazing at marketing! They lure people in with the newness of the colours and the collection aspect, as well as the Jules that save us money in the future. PLUS having access to the secret store is a big advantage to the monthly box - there can be some really good deals on both polish and products!

Using Savy Deals is a good money-saving idea though for sure! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofserendip View Post

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by candicesj View Post

Julep is amazing at marketing! They lure people in with the newness of the colours and the collection aspect, as well as the Jules that save us money in the future. PLUS having access to the secret store is a big advantage to the monthly box - there can be some really good deals on both polish and products!

Using Savy Deals is a good money-saving idea though for sure! 

OK so I'm new to Julep... I joined right after the last month shipped, so I haven't seen the wonders of the secret store yet. Can you explain what it is exactly? What colors are typically in there (new ones, old ones, exclusive ones, etc) and what are the prices? Like, the average polish from Julep is $11.20, what is the secret store price? Thanks! :)