redjill

(Spoilers) Julep April 2014

Just got Monica and Kyla off the savvy deals page for $5.98 total. Desire for brights met without incurring the wrath of my bank account.

• Like 2

Decided to skip after all. I've got to get my collection under control before I bring anything else in. I liked the colors but I didn't love the colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBadger View Post

I did the full polish upgrade. Love these colors.  Plus, my friend at work was looking over my shoulder this morning and wanted some, so added on Tatum, Caitlin, and Maren for her. 

Yea Springtime!  It's been a loooong coooold winter in Wisconsin.

I'm from Wisconsin too, originally!  What area are you from?  I live in Denver now and the winters are so much better, lol.  I have felt so bad for my family and friends back home telling me about all the -0 degree days, and then here in Denver it would be like 50, ha ha.  You guys sure got hit hard this year.

I gotta admit I kinda love this entire collection!  The only close dupe I have to any of these is Bailey - I wonder if that one is going to be that much different from Monaco from last month?  Maybe just that the formula is sheer vs cream?  Anyway, I think this is a really fun collection.  I have a ton of darker cream polish, neutrals, ect. but my nail polish collection is totally missing some bright chromes, sheers, and shift polishes like this one has.  As of right now I'm doing the polish upgrade and adding on the black and white polishes, since I don't have either of those shades in my collection either.  The only black I have is Cleopatra, which is the latex matte.

I'm going to pass on the blush and bronzer, like I did with the gloss last month.  I have soooo many blushes, bronzers, lipglosses, eyeliners, ect that although I would love to try this formula I just can't justify having yet another product sitting around!  They do look gorgeous though.

Since I have 1000 Jules to use for the $7.99 duo add on, this comes out to 11 polishes for $45, or $4.09 each bottle.  I feel like that's a really great deal!

I went with Classic with a Twist with the pink blush and added on the Bronzer brush, Maren, and Flora.  I'm not a huge fan of bright neon greens and I already have plenty of bright purples.  Plus I need to stop buying polish!!!    

As much as I love the deals, you do have to consider that getting the box with say 2 polishes and a product reduces the cost of each item to ~$6.67 if you just pay the $20. I understand if you don't like the colors, but if you're skipping just because of the price, it's actually a pretty good deal. Especially when you consider what the price of the beauty product for any given month goes up to after the maven selection time. Then when you start upgrading it's down to $5 a color. Sure you can get many of these on sale within a few months, but I like getting them when they are seasonally appropriate during selection time. :)
Agreed, and julep has a great referral and points system. You should factor that into price, because with just buying regular boxes, you get about 2 boxes a year, and then whatever referrals you get are extra. To me, julep has one of the best systems. I prefer it to birch box. I think the boxes are a good value, not great. I think the boxes are all worth about $20, though I'd never pay full price for anything from julep. However, it annoys me when all the really nice colours are addons. I personally enjoy getting new colours you may have not thought of but end up enjoying, but when julep keeps duping the same colours, it gets boring. I want collections with colours like autumn and Gianna and Talia and Felicia. Even if it is just a single box. I also feel like the savvy deals section is annoying when the prices are for all customers, and in the past couple months they have removed a fair chunk of maven benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephstrong View Post

Is anyone picking up the brushes??

I did the full upgrade this month, so I'll be getting them! Hopefully they're nice.

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsiemagic View Post

Alright is is just me or is this collection nearly identical to last April?

The it girl last time was green, yellow and purple, so it's nice the colors are distributed differently, but it's still really close

Those were opaque cremes without shimmer though, right? The small swatch photos don't show it well, but this months colors are all sheers/jellys with shimmer flakes added or a chrome finish. I think this will be another collection that is WAY more stunning in person.

• Like 2

Something interesting: I just got my email about the April Maven window being open, so I open it and see that they are awarding me 750 jules for taking my first box (since this is my first month subbing). I wonder if these types of promotions are going to happen more regularly for new subscribers to help make up for the fact that we can't skip. I'm OK with it :) 750 jules is enough to get an add-on right?
I'm surprised they still do this! They've had this forever, since I joined 2 years ago (march), at least. Before Jules they would give you a free addon, and before addons they gave you a 11.20 voucher for a free nail polish in your second box.

I keep on going back over the options .. even though I really only want Kayla. There are others that look nice, but I have similar colors already .. or they just don't excite me that much. But, then I love getting my box .. even if I can also buy polishes on sale etc .. it's just not the same thing (which makes no sense .. I know).

I'll probably end up getting a box or not. Kind of hoping that Kayla sells out as an add-on really soon which would take away any incentive to get a box.

I keep on going back over the options .. even though I really only want Kayla. There are others that look nice, but I have similar colors already .. or they just don't excite me that much. But, then I love getting my box .. even if I can also buy polishes on sale etc .. it's just not the same thing (which makes no sense .. I know). I'll probably end up getting a box or not. Kind of hoping that Kayla sells out as an add-on really soon which would take away any incentive to get a box.
I say you should go for Bombshell or Core Classics with Kayla as an add-on. CC always proves to have products you'll actually use, & wIth Bombshell who knows maybe you'll end up loving Tatum & the blush!

Skipping. Will probably get some polishes with the Madness code but will wait to see if RAE goes back on stock first. Can't wait to see all the swatches though....

Was surprisingly excited by some of the colors this month. Took Bombshell (with Peach Bellini blush) with Flora and Felicia as add-ons. I DO NOT need more blush, or more polish for that matter, but I'm looking forward to playing with all of it anyway. I lurrve those purples and I don't really have a lot of purple polish right now. I also ordered Nicolette from the deals section since I don't currently have a white polish to put over the sheer ones and I've been meaning to buy one for awhile now. I kind of want the pink from It Girl too but Felicia is out of stock now so I don't want to touch anything lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsoliviaaah View Post

I say you should go for Bombshell or Core Classics with Kayla as an add-on. CC always proves to have products you'll actually use, & wIth Bombshell who knows maybe you'll end up loving Tatum & the blush!

It's already sold out. At the moment I have the it girl box even though I don't care much for Bailey. I don't want to spend $20 on nail polish remover and cuticle oil .. I get both much cheaper all the time. I might add on Kayla if it comes back in stock .. or switch to Bombshell .. or end up skipping after all.

Was surprisingly excited by some of the colors this month. Took Bombshell (with Peach Bellini blush) with Flora and Felicia as add-ons. I DO NOT need more blush, or more polish for that matter, but I'm looking forward to playing with all of it anyway. I lurrve those purples and I don't really have a lot of purple polish right now. I also ordered Nicolette from the deals section since I don't currently have a white polish to put over the sheer ones and I've been meaning to buy one for awhile now. I kind of want the pink from It Girl too but Felicia is out of stock now so I don't want to touch anything lol.
Glad I added Felicia this morning. : p
  • Like 1

I'm actually super stoked for this month!!  I'm getting classic with a twist, I LOVE the colors, and the bellini blush looks so cute.  

I'm only a little irked that they called it "peach bellini" because a bellini is made with peach (and prosecco of course). wink3.gif 

• Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn View Post

Quote:

Alright is is just me or is this collection nearly identical to last April?

The it girl last time was green, yellow and purple, so it's nice the colors are distributed differently, but it's still really close

Those were opaque cremes without shimmer though, right? The small swatch photos don't show it well, but this months colors are all sheers/jellys with shimmer flakes added or a chrome finish. I think this will be another collection that is WAY more stunning in person.

just by swatches a lot of them are really similar, and it was april last year.

• Like 2

Quote:

just by swatches a lot of them are really similar, and it was april last year.

Very interesting!  The slight variation and different pairings are really working on me--last year I hated the neon collection!  I AM that person who has a million different tones of their favorite color though!

I can't find the skip button on their site now. I'm on my phone. Does anyone know if the skip button is on the mobile site or not?

I can't find the skip button on their site now. I'm on my phone. Does anyone know if the skip button is on the mobile site or not?
No skip button on phones. They ditched that several months ago.

Easy skip this month. Outside of the classic with a twist, I hate the colors. Just not colors I would ever wear. Blush and bronzer? In theory I like that, but I just can't buy anymore Julep make up when I like what I usually wear. Julep is just so hit and miss. Enjoy April, ladies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofserendip View Post

Something interesting: I just got my email about the April Maven window being open, so I open it and see that they are awarding me 750 jules for taking my first box (since this is my first month subbing). I wonder if these types of promotions are going to happen more regularly for new subscribers to help make up for the fact that we can't skip. I'm OK with it :) 750 jules is enough to get an add-on right?

This is my first month subbing too. I will only get 300 jules for my first box. :icon_sad: 

I really don't want a blush so I was thinking of getting It Girl instead of Classic with a Twist.

I like sheers and shimmers better than cremes so I like the colors.