Dropping Cosmetology to pursue strictly makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some opinions from makeup artists on my current situation. I've been going to Cosmetology school for about 6 months now and still have a year left. We are only doing hair and salon reality stuff, which I'm losing interest in more and more with each day. Makeup is where I find my true passion and joy. Would I be making a mistake dropping Cos school and attending a makeup only school to pursue this part of the beauty industry? This is a huge decision for me, since so much was invested into cosmetology school already. But my heart isn't in it at all. Does anybody have any advice to share with me? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. - David

Quote: Originally Posted by AmenFashion /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey everyone, I just wanted to get some opinions from makeup artists on my current situation.
I've been going to Cosmetology school for about 6 months now and still have a year left. We are only doing hair and salon reality stuff, which I'm losing interest in more and more with each day.
Makeup is where I find my true passion and joy.
Would I be making a mistake dropping Cos school and attending a makeup only school to pursue this part of the beauty industry?
This is a huge decision for me, since so much was invested into cosmetology school already. But my heart isn't in it at all.

Does anybody have any advice to share with me?
It would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much.
- David

My opinion, if hair and nails are not your passion but makeup is then how about a compromise - get your esthetician license instead that way you'll have a solid foundation to get into makeup. Remember, cosmetology - including nail techs, estheticians, stylists, colorists, barbers - are all regulated and the makeup industry is not even if you go to school it's not a licensed profession so this will and could restrict you from working in certain areas. Once you have your esthetician license you can then go to makeup school to learn that and have your certificate in that.

Also keep in mind, some vendors will not sell products to non-licensed professionals (such as makeup artists) while other vendors will not give a MUA discount to someone who is a licensed esthetician. Look at Make Up Artist Magazine - they view estheticians differently than MUAs but in many areas you can't work on a person's face without at least an esthetician license. Since you've invested so much time and money now at least go for your esthetician license.

My advice is more about the career aspect. Tolerating the one year to have a license will help you in the long term. You will improve your chances of being hired and sustaining a job to pursue the makup thingy. good luck. passion with the paycheck is much much better. 

Since you already are invested I would encourage to finish. You can always freelance while you are in school then do makeup full time. Having that license creates more opportunities even though you want to concentrate on makeup! Best wishes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was in the same boat, I actually went ahead and finished my classes but at the end of it I never went to take the boards to get my license though because I knew it wouldn't be what I was passionate about. I am currently about to enroll in the QC makeup academy!! Hope you make the right decision for yourself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Best of luck.

A discussion recently came up in a Facebook group. In several states freelance MUAs cannot work legally on clients outside a retail (MAC counter for example). In Oregon there is a special license for freelance MUAs but in some states it's absolutely forbidden and if caught the person can be fined heavily and possibly (depending on the state law) go to jail. Some states there is no law forbidding freelance MUAs without a cosmetology or esthetician license. You'll have to look into your state laws and possibly contact your state's cosmetology board.

Stick with all your classes. The larger your skill set, the more chances of finding a job later.

Latest posts

Back