Dry itchy skin and shaving woes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in Pennsylvania and this winter has been REALLY harsh on my skin. I have been working overtime trying to moisturize ALL the things!

My legs get really itchy and dry and shaving them is almost torture at this point. I use shaving gel because if I just use soap it gets worse. I use lotion. And I tend to only use body wash because soap is really drying. And after shaving I can't use lotion for a day or two because my skin is so dry it burns!!

I have tried aveeno which helps to keep me from scratching all night but unless I trim my nails constantly I end up scratching my skin and making everything much worse. What do you do in winter to help combat dry skin?

Quote: Originally Posted by cherrycakes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I live in Pennsylvania and this winter has been REALLY harsh on my skin. I have been working overtime trying to moisturize ALL the things!

My legs get really itchy and dry and shaving them is almost torture at this point. I use shaving gel because if I just use soap it gets worse. I use lotion. And I tend to only use body wash because soap is really drying. And after shaving I can't use lotion for a day or two because my skin is so dry it burns!!

I have tried aveeno which helps to keep me from scratching all night but unless I trim my nails constantly I end up scratching my skin and making everything much worse. What do you do in winter to help combat dry skin?
I don't live in a cold climate but after shaving I use Vaseline Aloe Fresh moisturizer on my legs. It has aloe so it's good for razor burn and it has a slight cooling effect to it. I think it's an excellent moisturizer for post-shaving. You might also want to try Vaseline's other lotions in that line, I think the medium-heavy one is the oatmeal one and the heavy one is the shea butter one.

Check to see if your products are low or (preferably) free of fragrance and alcohols, because they can dry out skin. Some alcohols are okay for the skin, Google them to see which ones dry skin out and which don't. Off the top of my head, just "alcohol" and "alcohol denat." are two big ones that you should avoid. Essential oils (although widely used by naturalists) can be very irritating to the skin on many people. Try cutting those out of your products, if you use them. Same with citrus fruits.

Check if you are using fresh blades. If it's been a while since you've replaced your razor, microscopic nicks on the blade can cause uneven shaves and may make tiny cuts on your skin which begin to itch.

Make sure to moisturize your legs every day with a fragrance-free lotion to keep from getting dry. Aveeno often has fragrance in it. I've used Lubriderm and CeraVE and both work well and have the bare basics ingredients for what you need to keep your skin hydrated. There are many other brands that offer fragrance-free lotions. Remember to apply as soon as you're out of the shower! Vaseline and other petroleum based products are very good at keeping your skin moisturized but take forever to soak in but if you have the time, try applying that once every so often.

Exfoliate before and after shaving, and for the next few showers after shaving. This keeps your follicles from getting clogged with dead skin cells, which causes razor bumps. It also makes moisturizing more effective.

If it's really bad, try applying baby oil (or an oil like jojoba or something you'd use on your face). It'll be messy but if it works for babies with diaper rash it'll work for you.

Hope these tips help! I often get itchy after shaving too but the above has helped a whole bunch.

To overcome dry and itchy skin. You should apply natural Argan 100 oil. This organic oil contains a high level of antioxidants, which can help to protect your skin and keeping your skin healthy, smooth and glowing.  https://goo.gl/ne5Qdx 

I use conditioner for shaving, I read this tip somewhere years ago and never looked back. However, I still hate shaving, I'm looking into using an epilator, waxing is not for me too messy and more painful than epilating because it rips off skin as well as ripping out the hair.

Latest posts

Back