POP Beauty Plump Pout (discussion)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've decided to create a new thread to discuss the issue with the Plump Pout lip gloss from the February Ipsy thread as the discussion has spilled over into the March thread as well.

Apparently POP Beauty has updated their Plump Pout page today because the ingredients are now reflecting the ingredients on the full size glosses. Unfortunately the ingredients do confirm that the ingredients listed on the minis that were sent out by Ipsy are completely different.

From Ipsy's website.

From POP Beauty site (old ingredients listed):

Updated as of March 8, 2014:
If someone has a still sealed mini gloss will you please take a picture of the ingredients so that it's clearer than my image? I threw away the safety shrink wrap which had the ingredients listed.

​

​

Just so you can see the side-by-side comparisons are of the actual products.

​

​
)

I think it's such crap that they are doing this for some people and not for everyone. And it makes me super wary of POP as a whole because of the way they've brushed this off. Great way to lose business IMO.
I agree, completely. I didn't get a response for about 2 weeks, until I finally just flat out emailed them saying I wanted a replacement in honey rose. Then and only then did I get a response.

Full size Mini Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (and) Ethylene / Propylene / Styrene Copolymer (and) Butylene / Ethylene / Styrene Copolymer Mineral Oil Mineral Oil Polyisobutylene Polybutene Beeswax Beeswax Diisostearyl Malate Copernica Cerifera (Carnouba) Wax Silica Pentaerythrityl Tetraisostearate (and) Caprylic / Capric Triglyceride (and) Stearalkonium Hectorite (and) Palmitoyl Hexapeptide-12 Ethyl Hexyl Palmitate Ethylhexyl Palmitate / Tribehenin Sorbitan Isostearate / Palmitoyl Oligopeptide Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride Benzyl Nicotinate Ethylhexyl Palmitate Persea Gratissima (Avocado Oil) Silica Dimethyl Silylate Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E) Butylene Glycol Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Almond) Oil Hexylene Glycol Lavandula Angustifolia Extract / Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Lavender Butter) Phenoxyetharol Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba Seed) Oil Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil Mangifera Indica Seed Butter (Mango Butter) Tocopheryl Acetate Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract Sambucus Nigra Fruit Extract Fragrance.  Fragrance [+/- Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) [+/- Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499) Iron Oxides (CI 77491CI 77492CI 77499) Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891) Red 7 Lake (CI 15850) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140) Red 6 Lake (CI 158502) Red 33 Lake (CI 17200)].  Made in Taiwan. Designed in the USA Made in the USA.   Looks like Ipsy updated their page on the product as well. This set of ingredients does match the one on my wrapper however it does show that the minis are not the same as the full size (per POP Beauty website or packaging of the full size).

Quote: Fuchsia Freesia: mineral oil, polyisobutylene, beeswax, disosteary malate, silica, ethyl hexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylheyxl palmitate, silica dimethyl siliate, butylene glycol, pentylene glycol, sodium, hyaluronate, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyetharol, simmondsia chinensis(jojoba) seed oil, tocopherl acetate, sambucus nigra fruit extract, fragrance [+/- iron oxides (cl 77491, cl 77492, cl 77499), titanium dioxide (cl 77891), yellow 5 lake (cl 19140:1), red 6 lake (cl 15850:2) red 7 Lake (cl 15850:1)]

Peony Petal: mineral oil, polyisobutylene, beeswax, disosteary malate, silica, ethyl hexyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, ethylheyxl palmitate, silica dimethyl siliate, butylene glycol, pentylene glycol, sodium, hyaluronate, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyetharol, simmondsia chinensis(jojoba) seed oil, tocopherl acetate, sambucus nigra fruit extract, fragrance [+/- iron oxides (cl 77491, cl 77492, cl 77499), titanium dioxide (cl 77891), yellow 5 lake (cl 19140:1), red 6 lake (cl 15850:2) red 7 Lake (cl 15850:1)]

Finally! It looks like Ipsy and POP Beauty are correcting at least the matter in regards to the ingredients being incorrectly listed. They have yet to address the matter on if the product is indeed safe and what ingredient was left out.

Here is the list of questions I sent to POP Beauty.

Quote:
  1. Why haven't the ingredients on the website been updated to reflect the minis and/or full size? Corrected.
  2. How has POP Beauty determined that the products are safe to use? 
  3. How does POP Beauty know if the products are not contaminated? 
  4. How does POP Beauty know only a "small batch" were affected since the minis do not contain a lot # or batch # printed on the tube or on the shrink wrap with the ingredients?
  5. How can POP Beauty's manufacture be sure that there were no other issues with the manufacturing of the minis other than "leaving out an ingredient"?
  6. Which ingredient was left out? 
  7. How do they know it was only a "flavouring ingredient" that was left out?
  8. Has POP Beauty sought an independent lab, such as SGS, to test the minis in order to rule out contamination or hazardous ingredients?
  9. Will Ipsy and/or POP Beauty make a full public announcement on the matter?
  10. Does this warrant a recall since the ingredients in these products are unknown and therefore are potentially misbranded per US FDA regulations on listing ingredients on products?

In regards to what I was told by Ipsy about the differences ingredients... Here's part of the email:

Quote: We have since learned that POP has recently undergone both a formula change and a change in manufacturing partner to make the lip gloss. This formula change was already in the works when POP and ipsy began discussions regarding the February sample and we were always contemplating the newer version of the product. The full size products that were sent out as replacements are the last batch under the previous manufacturer. The new manufacturer (located in Taiwan) made the Glam Bag samples and will make the full size product going forward. While the manufacturer is "new" for this particularly product, POP has been working with that manufacturer for 15 years, and has a strong and trusting relationship with the team (mistake on the flavor/fragrance aside). Finally, while it has some different ingredients, the new formula has been approved by the brand to deliver the same results and customer experience as the previous formula, and from the brand's perspective, is not a reduction in quality, again absent the mistake on the flavor/fragrance.

@ Zadidoll: I still have my old Fuchsia Freesia gloss and ipsy sent an email saying they're sending another gloss in the same color. If the replacement item is truly another gloss, I'll send both your way when the new gloss comes. 

I'm a-okay with companies outsourcing their products but I'm not okay with the way Pop Beauty sent out "replicated" items that weren't even close to the original (it leads me to believe that they don't even have humans testing the outsourced items before putting it out on the market for consumers), received numerous complaints about bad reactions, and how they still insisted that the products were safe to use. I'm also pretty irked with the way ipsy handled the situation. "You didn't like the gloss along with plenty of other customers? Here's another one! Enjoy!". ipsy should have questioned Pop Beauty, and at the least, discontinued sending the same item again when they became aware that there was a problem. They also shouldn't continue to forward Pop's statement about a missing flavoring agent, which is obviously not a believable one.

I really hope the FDA can force Pop Beauty to change their business ethics of false ingredients, false advertisement, and their poor method of handling a situation (sweeping it under the rug and deleting the evidence). I also hope it teaches companies in contact with a shady business to stand up for consumers when they are aware of a situation. The world revolves around money, and money comes from customers. It doesn't make sense why neither company is trying to satisfy customers by answering their questions, but instead bribing them to "shut up and let it go." It makes me question the ethics of both businesses, and to me, an ethical company is just as important as product quality. 

On a side note, I'm also mad with the CS on both ends. Pop Beauty offered full sized replacements to some people but not others. ipsy is sending some people a new gloss only while some people get two items. Treating customers differently is just adding fuel to the fire.

Quote: Originally Posted by callmeashley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  @ Zadidoll: I still have my old Fuchsia Freesia gloss and ipsy sent an email saying they're sending another gloss in the same color. If the replacement item is truly another gloss, I'll send both your way when the new gloss comes. 

I'm a-okay with companies outsourcing their products but I'm not okay with the way Pop Beauty sent out "replicated" items that weren't even close to the original (it leads me to believe that they don't even have humans testing the outsourced items before putting it out on the market for consumers), received numerous complaints about bad reactions, and how they still insisted that the products were safe to use. I'm also pretty irked with the way ipsy handled the situation. "You didn't like the gloss along with plenty of other customers? Here's another one! Enjoy!". ipsy should have questioned Pop Beauty, and at the least, discontinued sending the same item again when they became aware that there was a problem. They also shouldn't continue to forward Pop's statement about a missing flavoring agent, which is obviously not a believable one.

I really hope the FDA can force Pop Beauty to change their business ethics of false ingredients, false advertisement, and their poor method of handling a situation (sweeping it under the rug and deleting the evidence). I also hope it teaches companies in contact with a shady business to stand up for consumers when they are aware of a situation. The world revolves around money, and money comes from customers. It doesn't make sense why neither company is trying to satisfy customers by answering their questions, but instead bribing them to "shut up and let it go." It makes me question the ethics of both businesses, and to me, an ethical company is just as important as product quality. 

On a side note, I'm also mad with the CS on both ends. Pop Beauty offered full sized replacements to some people but not others. ipsy is sending some people a new gloss only while some people get two items. Treating customers differently is just adding fuel to the fire.

Thank you! PM me for my address once you get the replacement.

I'm not buying the idea that the quality is the same between the mini and the full. If pop wants to continue with the company in Taiwan, they can count me out as a customer completely. The quality between the two minis I recieved from ipsy and the full size from pop are HUGE. They went with a cheaper company, most likely, and as usual quality suffers. Even if they hadn't smelled horrendous, the formula isn't as good. (Not that it was astounding anyway)

So I can put my 2 cents in a proper place, I emailed both companies at the same time and both of them replied to me. I'm not happy about the way I've been hearing how they're treating most customers. Either they tell you they're going to replace it or not offer anything at all. I really wish they would release a public statement about them. I was offered a replacement from Ipsy and a full sized gloss in the color of my desire from PB. When I got the email for shipping from Ipsy it also says that I will be getting Urban Decay lipstick in 69. 

I'm personally not happy on how the person from Ipsy communicated with me. They told me to review the ingredients list like I didn't like the smell of something in there......uhm no I don't like a strong chemical smell, would you like for me to send it back to you so you could smell it and then tell you to continue using it?

One person I know got an email from Ipsy telling them to contact PB for a full sized gloss while mine didn't say anything. Here are the 2 emails I got from both of them.

Ipsy

Pop Beauty

Thanks for the thread Zadidoll. I was the one who orginally posted about filing a report with FDA. I cannot stress how important this kind of notification is to public health. I have worked in the "industry" for quite a while now. Having been intimately involved with Field Corrective Actions and widespread recalls, this kinda of thing is meaningful to me. It only takes a few minutes to fill out the form. Omission of ingredients is misbranding and action should be taken. The fact that there is no lot number for traceability is very concerning to me. How can one tell if it was a "small batch" without it? While that very we'll be the cae, without that lot they cannot prove it. It really bothers me that they are not owning the situation.

Quote: Originally Posted by QueenJane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the thread Zadidoll. I was the one who orginally posted about filing a report with FDA. I cannot stress how important this kind of notification is to public health. I have worked in the "industry" for quite a while now. Having been intimately involved with Field Corrective Actions and widespread recalls, this kinda of thing is meaningful to me.

It only takes a few minutes to fill out the form. Omission of ingredients is misbranding and action should be taken. The fact that there is no lot number for traceability is very concerning to me. How can one tell if it was a "small batch" without it? While that very we'll be the cae, without that lot they cannot prove it.

It really bothers me that they are not owning the situation.

Thank you for posting that Jane. If it weren't for your post about the FDA I wouldn't have contacted them myself. This is why I had so many questions which only one of those questions were fixed by POP Beauty and Ipsy.

Hey no problem, if I didn't deal with things like MedWatch on a daily basis, I wouldn't have known about it either. But this is one of the things that FDA is here for! What is scary is how this product got out of the manfuactuing plant. There must be a quality inspection/final inspection process in place. If it was being performed correctly, this should have been found...ie final testing would have shown that thie formulation was wrong. If anyone needs some...ahem...light reading, it's CFR 211(for manufacturin- just had to read it yesterday for work)

This whole thing is a wake up call really. Im realzing just how much blind faith i put in companies and products that i know nothing about.but you know what bothers me even more? How many other companies out there are doing the same thing that just havent been caught yet....

Sorry no auto check on my phone and now it wont let me fix my spelling, damn these sausage fingers...

Thanks for making the separate thread. I don't subscribe to Ipsy anymore, but my BFF does (well, did) and wasn't aware of the issue since she doesn't read forums. Thankfully she hadn't opened hers yet! 

Quote: Originally Posted by QueenJane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey no problem, if I didn't deal with things like MedWatch on a daily basis, I wouldn't have known about it either. But this is one of the things that FDA is here for!

What is scary is how this product got out of the manfuactuing plant. There must be a quality inspection/final inspection process in place. If it was being performed correctly, this should have been found...ie final testing would have shown that thie formulation was wrong.

If anyone needs some...ahem...light reading, it's CFR 211(for manufacturin- just had to read it yesterday for work)
From what I've read with everyone's experiences of their minis smelling fine and then turning rancid, I wonder if maybe an ingredient (or 2 or 3 or 4...) spoiled. In that case, the manufacturer might have done a test and not noticed anything was wrong because the minis hadn't spoiled yet. But then again, I have no idea what kind of tests factories do and if those tests would be able to detect a bad ingredient.

I just hope that Pop finally agrees to have the minis lab tested and discovers once and for all if the minis are safe. Were I Pop, I would want to test them to make sure the manufacturer didn't make a mistake. Because if they did, I would want to fix it before I went forward with continuing production to said manufacturer. If anything, this would be a great to chance to find out if there are any issues with the new formula before producing a whole bunch of batches.

After reading about this all a couple days ago I decided to open up my Pop Beauty sample and give it a smell- I just hadn't gotten to it yet. It smelled like burnt rubber :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I kept it in case the FDA requested it. I filed a complaint, thanks for suggesting it! I also went ahead and emailed Pop Beauty and Ipsy. Although I feel I may be a little late on that, I made sure to let them know exactly what I expected (a replacement or substitute product). I'll let you all know what I hear back.

I received the Pop Beauty gloss in my Ipsy bag too and noticed a weird and horrible scent the first (and only) time I used it.  Right after that I noticed that I had what felt like a chemical burn on the edge of my lips and that they felt a little swollen and constantly dried out for two weeks or so afterward. I didn't put one and one together until I read on the other thread about other people having similar reactions to the Pop Beauty Gloss.  I had only used it that once, but I do have very sensitive skin.  I had sent an email to Ipsy asking if there was a problem with the gloss and they sent a replacement that I have been too scared to open lol.

You know I'm sure some evidence of chemical burns - ie by way of a doctor's note for whoever had a problem would be very useful information for the FDA, it would be great proof of the problem, they always go by evidence. So if you could get any if you are experiencing pain or swelling, please do and send that in

I received the Pop Beauty gloss in my Ipsy bag too and noticed a weird and horrible scent the first (and only) time I used it.  Right after that I noticed that I had what felt like a chemical burn on the edge of my lips and that they felt a little swollen and constantly dried out for two weeks or so afterward. I didn't put one and one together until I read on the other thread about other people having similar reactions to the Pop Beauty Gloss.  I had only used it that once, but I do have very sensitive skin.  I had sent an email to Ipsy asking if there was a problem with the gloss and they sent a replacement that I have been too scared to open lol.
That's horrible!!! If I were you I would be sending so many angry emails right now! I'm not the expert on this, but I would do two things in this situation; 1) Take pictures of the burn(s) on your lips as evidence and 2) send your opened and unopened gloss to [@]zadidoll[/@] so that she can bring them to the FDA. Ipsy and Pop Beauty are going to have to do more than they have about these horrendously dangerous glosses.

Quote: Originally Posted by lethalglam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  You know I'm sure some evidence of chemical burns - ie by way of a doctor's note for whoever had a problem would be very useful information for the FDA, it would be great proof of the problem, they always go by evidence. So if you could get any if you are experiencing pain or swelling, please do and send that in
They actually sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure about the logistics of it, but I'm sure if a doctor is to confirm some reaction, that would be good evidence to have.

Latest posts

Back