Am I the only one not "subscribed"?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Let's be real, beauty subscription boxes are all the rage lately. Ipsy, Birchbox, Starlooks, Glossybox...the list goes on and on. But am I the only one that isn't subscribed to anything? I've never been subscribed to any one of these companies. I'm a subscription box virgin, for lack of better words. I love the idea of getting to try out new products all the time without having to commit to a full size or pay sometimes overpriced sample prices. The thing I don't necessarily go along with is the price of these boxes. $10/month for one subscription is reasonable, but some people are subscribed to multiple boxes that are more than $10/month. It makes more sense to me to take the money you're spending each month on products you may or may not like and spend it on something nicer/bigger/you know you like.

I don't think I'm trying to ask if subscription services are worth it but more so if anyone else out there isn't on the beauty box bandwagon. Not that it's a bad thing...I guess I would just rather spend my money on things I know I'll like..or at least on things I can return if I'm not happy with. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Everyone has different opinions and likes. It's not for everyone and it's a gamble one takes because you're not guaranteed things you'll like BUT there's a chance you may love the things sent.

I'm not subscribed to any sampling programs, either. There are a couple of reasons why.

First and foremost, ever since I started a blog every makeup and skincare purchase I make has to be something I can share and review. I don't have two separate budgets for my personal makeup collection and my blog products. Therefore, whatever I purchase needs to be full size. More than that, I am not really interested in sample sizes anyway. I find that there is too little product to be able to use enough times to really judge the product's efficacy.

I agree with you that subscriptions are too costly. Far be it from me to judge how other people spend their money, but like you I would rather spend my money on a full size product that I know I like. If I'm trying something new, I'd rather be able to return the item if I don't like it that just keep loads of sample sizes that I'm never going to use.

Nope, not subscribed to anything.

In theory, it sounds like a good idea to me, and I totally understand why some people love it. For me, it would just be $10 a month on more stuff to add to the hoard, I'd probably never use 90% of it, and my sample box is already overflowing so it's just not right for me.

I'm not subscribed to anything either. I get overwhelmed with too much stuff and I probably wouldn't use a lot of the things sent to me & it would wind up in the trash.

For a while I wasn't subscribed either. But I was just getting into make-up and I still don't wear a ton of makeup or a ton of the same makeup (so I don't have a go to lipstick or eyeshadow combo, etc), so sampling things is just fine for me and it keeps me from impulse buying things when I do go to Ulta or whatever. Actually, I almost never buy stuff in Ulta any more and I've dropped the discount sites like Hautelook as well. The only thing I go in Ulta to buy is NYX, or to spend giftcards a couple times a year. I never even bother with going to Sephora any more. I spend the rest of my makeup/beauty budget on indie companies.

However, I only have one Ipsy bag and one Birchbox, both of which are $10 a month. I pay for the BB and my husband got me the Ipsy sub as a Christmas gift. I cannot imagine paying more than $10 for a sub personally. I think it would probably be fun to get all those boxes every month, but it's just not a financial option right now and, like you said, I would rather spend any more than $10 on sure things that I've carefully researched and know I should like. The samples I have gotten in Ipsy are always enough for more than one use, and often are full sizes, otherwise they are deluxe samples. Birchbox is a little different and I would drop that first if I needed to drop one. This month I am super happy with what I am supposed to get, but last month was a bit of a let down. Still worth the $10, but not as good as past boxes for me.

At some point, probably in the next year, I will likely drop both of them because I will need to work through my stash. Right now my stash is still small enough that I'm getting use out of most things. When it gets to the point that I don't use the things I get in my subs and I just stash them away, I will let them go.

So I guess I am sort of inbetween. Also, what lipstick are you wearing in your picture? I love that color!

I'm not subscribed to anything. I've considered getting a birchbox or Ipsy, but never did for a few reasons. $10 a month isn't that big of a deal for me, but I'd probably end up getting a bunch of items every month that I don't love. It's really hard for me to throw away perfectly good makeup, and I always feel obligated to try to use up products, and I don't want to end up with a pile of stuff I don't like that I feel like I should use anyway. Like some people have said, I'd rather just spend that $10 towards something I know I actually want. Also, I don't even use certain beauty products, like mascara, and Ipsy doesn't really seem to have an option to specify that I don't want them to send me those things, so that's another reason I don't have one.

I'm only subscribed to ipsy and that'll be the only one I'll ever subscribe to. Unless another 10 dollar subscription that's better comes along. I think it's fun and a good deal for what they give. But I do agree with you on subscribing to multiple and even more expensive boxes. They really add up and I'd rather just spend my money on products I know I will like than say 40 dollar on a pop sugar box or something like that. I don't like those type of boxes because they are expensive for getting a bunch of alright stuff. And BirchBox is a no no for me because of the tiny samples and non-makeup items people usually get.

I subscribed to one last October for the first time. I get Eco Emi which is $15 a month. I enjoy getting something in the mail that contains products that are "green" and usually cruelty free. It's really difficult to find a box that's mostly or all cruelty free. I have a few brands from the box that I like and have repruchased or found brands similar to them. I discovered the makeup brand Brija from it, and I have repurchased from that brand twice now. So, I feel like the box has been serving its purpose of introducing me to new brands.

i unsubscribed to pretty much every subscription i tried. at different times, i tried ipsy, beauty army, glossybox, and birchbox. i hated ipsy and beauty army, so i unsubscribed after 3 and 1 month/s, respectively. i'm unsubscribing to glossy after my 3-month sub, which ends this march. birchbox, however, is a whole different story. to me, they're more than a subscription box. i love their points system, and i'm basically subbed right now because of that, and also the fact that they seem to know what they're doing. i love the monthly box in the mail for basically $5, since i always find something in their shop that i'd like to buy. i like saving up points and getting something that way! i realize that subs are not for me in terms of discovering new products. i'm very picky with my brands, tbh..  birchbox is my going to be my only sub now and probably ever!

I get Ipsy (which was a Christmas present from my sister) and Starlooks so I spend less than $20 a month.  They are good for me because they curb my urge to go to Target or Sephora and spend more than $20.  I only really got into makeup a year ago so I don't have a huge hoarded stash...yet.  I also buy the Target beauty box when it has an item I already use in it because then I'm basically buying one item, getting several for free. 

I'm not super picky or devoted to certain brands so it's better for me to spend that money on almost 10 products between the two subs than for me to spend over $20 on 1-3 products at those other two stores that I also may or may not love.  I'll end up cancelling them both as soon as I start to feel overwhelmed with products and can't get through them fast enough. 

As for the non-makeup subs, I'm way too picky about that kind of stuff to sub. 

Quote: Originally Posted by BSquared /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Nope, not subscribed to anything.

In theory, it sounds like a good idea to me, and I totally understand why some people love it. For me, it would just be $10 a month on more stuff to add to the hoard, I'd probably never use 90% of it, and my sample box is already overflowing so it's just not right for me.
I love getting my subscription boxes, it's fun to get a surprise in your mail box after a crappy week or a bad day. I think I mainly just like getting mail... blame my inner child I guess. However, that being said, my hoard is growing at a rapid rate. Especially since I'm subscribed to four (yes four!) boxes. Julep, Birchbox, Glossy box, and Ipsy. I'm noticing that I'm sort of just adding to my "collection" and not really using everything because I'm overwhelmed with so many products. I have found 3 or 4 products from these boxes that I love and probably wouldn't have found otherwise but I think it's time to cut back. Some of the subscriptions (Birchbox especially) have been leaving much to be desired lately.  It's also getting hard to justify the price because two of those boxes are $20 or more & I could easily buy a nice full size product for that amount.

I used to subscribe to Birchbox and Ipsy, but now I'm just with Ipsy. I really REALLY love the points system that Birchbox has, but I just can't justify spending $10 a month on a box that I am not impressed with at all. I had found that I wasn't interested in some of the non beauty products that Birchbox started sending out, so I just straight up cancelled. Ipsy on the other hand is more my speed, and I really love all of new products that I'm introduced to. I think in the near future I might cancel that as well though, since I really need to pay off my student loans. 

I don't have any subs because i have a huge product problem already(storage wise) and if i was to get sub boxes, i know i would never use the sample sizes and there would be even more stuff!

I'm subscribed to Ipsy, Birchbox and Beauty Box5. I love getting them because I can try different brands of things I never knew was out there to purchase plus its like getting presents each month. Yes its hit & miss but, for me its worth it.

I'm not subscribed to anything either.  I am interested in a couple of the ones that I follow around here, but since I'll be starting college in the fall I'd rather wait a few years and then get them so I don't have to worry about the school losing boxes or just me not wanting to have a lot of makeup that could get swiped in a dorm room.  But no worries you aren't the only one!!

Quote: Originally Posted by amorgb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm not subscribed to anything either.  I am interested in a couple of the ones that I follow around here, but since I'll be starting college in the fall I'd rather wait a few years and then get them so I don't have to worry about the school losing boxes or just me not wanting to have a lot of makeup that could get swiped in a dorm room.  But no worries you aren't the only one!!
Good call! I had roommates/dorm mates who would steal anything left lying around. You will be amazed at what people will do...

Good call! I had roommates/dorm mates who would steal anything left lying around. You will be amazed at what people will do...
I had a drag queen boarding with me for a time who used to help himself (herself?) to my stash. I don't begrudge any man his makeup when it's acquired honestly, but my little kleptoroomie was quite possibly the darkest-complected African-American person I had ever known before or since. Why he thought he could pull off pale-white-chick foundation, I haven't been able to figure out in 25 years. :)

Back