Charging for Trials: Bridal Work

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys! So I am new in the Makeup Artist pool :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I just had my first client this weekend and it went really well (except the tiny dilemma with the eyelash glue keeping her from opening her eyes all the way) that was a total nightmare! She was super sweet and patient though! I was so upset. I finally got all the glue out and she was able to open her eyes fully. What should I do in the future to prevent this?? But anyhow, back to bridal trials. So I have two bridal trials coming up and I'm unsure of how much I should charge. I was thinking $50 for the trial and $85 for makeup application for the wedding day. What do you guys charge? Do you think my pricing is reasonable? Another question I had was should I use the $50 as the down-payment as well? Does the down-payment mean that on her wedding day she'll be giving me the $85 still or is the $50 deducted from the $85?? I need clarification about this! So lost! lol Thanks so much in advance!!

Your rates are within the norm. However I would check around and see what other MUA's are charging for weddings in your area and charge within that range. Your trial rates sound about right. The more common thing I see lately is charging a down payment, and that would be deducted from from your original rate. As for lash glue getting lashes stuck, that's more common than you think. Sounds like you're using too much adhesive. Most of us use Duo. If you get a few lashes stuck, just gently pry them apart with your fingers. Then use a lip brush with a setting powder on it and then powder the areas where the Duo stuck to. This will prevent any re-adhesion. Don't worry, you're not going to blind them or glue their eyes shut. But admittedly it is a bit unnerving getting lashes glued shut the first time.

As Vogueboy mentioned, in regards to the lash glue, apply less of it. Alternative solution would be to use lash glue strips however I don't know how long the wear on those are.

My best faux lash tips:

• Apply the lashes dry to "dry fit". If a trim is needed it's easy to do it at this stage.
  • Apply a small bead of glue to a needle or other metal edge to spread the glue out onto the lash. Allow to get tacky then apply to the lash line.
  • Using a metal lash comb blend the natural lashes into the faux lashes before you apply mascara. This will also help remove any glue that ended up on the natural lashes.
  • Once you're satisfied with how the faux and natural lashes are blended into each other apply either a clear mascara or normal mascara if you want a little more volume or drama. Use a clean spoolie to remove any excess mascara if it looks a bit spider legged.

I charge for a trial at a discounted rate and then charge for my service the day of. It's your time and product you're using so don't feel like you shouldn't charge.

As far as the lash glue goes...sounds like you're Doing what I used to do - keep the clients eyes closed while applying the lashes. Don't do that. To avoid the upper and lower lashes sticking together and making your client completely horrified of ever having falsies applied, do it like this: tell your client that for applying eyelashes you want them to keep their eyes open. Even though they are open, have them look down (just with their eyes not their head) and focus on something in that area. I have a window across from me so I tell people to look at the window sill which is a bit lower. Now with their eyes fixed on that I apply the lashes (with tacky glue of course). This helps so much! I usually only have a couple corner lashes stick, if that. The process is way easier for both you and your client and it will save time! Remember, you only need a little bit of glue. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> hope this helps!

Back