• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

REVIEW: Victoria's Secret, Macy's, Nordstrom Credit Cards

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's safe to say I'm a frugal fashionista and I have good credit so I routinely sign up for cards at some of my favorite stores to get a deal. I thought I'd share my experience with 3 popular retailers having a card at each one:

Victoria's Secret Angel Card:

The perks on the VS card include mystery money (10, 50, 100 or 500 dollars ... but I've never gotten more than 10), and special coupons in the mail. I just got a coupon for $10 off one bra and a free fragrance of my choosing. The coupons are good, but unless you shop a lot at Victoria's Secret this card might not really be worth having. I've learned there is only so many pairs of underwear I need and I find myself buying more than necessary just to get extra perks. Plus, VS has a lot of special deals year round that non-card holders can partake in. Upside -- you can use the card at Bath & Body Works as well.

Macy's Credit Card:

This is by far my favorite credit card I have because the Macy's member coupons are just amazing. The store is constantly sending you 20% off coupons, $20 off $50, etc. And Macy's is HUGE and has all the departments I could want! The downside is that the coupons are not valid for some designer labels. It is an AMEX so you can use it at other retailers as well -- a good introduction into an AMEX card.

Nordstrom Card:

I have yet to use any of the benefits of this card. You can use it at Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack and Last Chance stores. One of the biggest perks of having this card is that you get $100 worth of free tailoring per year... that actually was its selling point for me. Otherwise, you have to spend $1000 to get $20 back so you don't see the benefits as quickly unless you're a big spender.

What are some of your favorite retailer credit cards? I'm looking to switch it up ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My store card must have is Kohls. I always use a 30% paired with earning $10 on every $50 spent and always free online shipping codes. I always try to out do myself on my amount saved. Sometimes I have saved over $600 and spent less then $100 combining above mentioned discounts and clearance sales.

Mine would be Target RedCard. 5% off any purchase and free shipping on any order online. i recently bought a $100 phone card online for my tmobile prepaid phone, and it costed me $90 for a $100 value card. win! i also just bought a shampoo for $6, free shipping. very useful if you're on a low buy, and trying not to spend to much.

Quote: Originally Posted by numbersmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My store card must have is Kohls. I always use a 30% paired with earning $10 on every $50 spent and always free online shipping codes. I always try to out do myself on my amount saved. Sometimes I have saved over $600 and spent less then $100 combining above mentioned discounts and clearance sales.
I'm definitely going to have to look into getting a Kohls card. I love Lauren Conrad's clothing line!

Quote: Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Mine would be Target RedCard. 5% off any purchase and free shipping on any order online. i recently bought a $100 phone card online for my tmobile prepaid phone, and it costed me $90 for a $100 value card. win! i also just bought a shampoo for $6, free shipping. very useful if you're on a low buy, and trying not to spend to much.
I have the Target debit card! Super nice to get that extra 5% :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Definitely Kohl's, they always send out coupons.

I keep a walmart credit card as well just because it gives me my transunion credit score anytime for free as well so that's a nice benefit.

I enjoy the coupon perks from my Macy's card, and I would like to get a Kohls card sometime for the same reason.  I also have the Target RedCard, which is awesome because of the 5% off and free shipping.  I got a stepper machine from Target with a gift card I got for Christmas, and shipping would have been $25 because of the weight if I hadn't been able to use my RedCard. Also it was a flat $5 for me to get the Target beauty box this month!

I have the Banana Republic credit card, and my stepmom has Kohl's. Kohl's has been pretty useful so far -- great discounts, also those $10 really rack up.

BR's is okay. They have a lot of point promotions which make it slightly better, and it's good to get nice clothes >: I've managed to get several 50%+ discounts because of it, but I wished they offered default perks or codes like free ship (though I guess the free ship is pretty low --$50 for clothes, and you can always return things you don't want XD)

Forgot to mention on my kohls it's free financing if I pay 1/3 of the balance too. So if my kohls credit card bill is $300, I avoid finance charges by sending $100. Another great perk, money's always better in my acct. 💵

Quote: Originally Posted by beautycurator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Victoria's Secret Angel Card:

The perks on the VS card include mystery money (10, 50, 100 or 500 dollars ... but I've never gotten more than 10), and special coupons in the mail. I just got a coupon for $10 off one bra and a free fragrance of my choosing. The coupons are good, but unless you shop a lot at Victoria's Secret this card might not really be worth having. I've learned there is only so many pairs of underwear I need and I find myself buying more than necessary just to get extra perks. Plus, VS has a lot of special deals year round that non-card holders can partake in. Upside -- you can use the card at Bath & Body Works as well.
Just adding on to this...you can use your Angel card at Bath & Body works too.  I'm an Angel Forever so I get $15 rewards instead of $10.  Also, I've gotten "thanks for being an angel" coupons for free (no purchase necessary) clutches, makeup bags, etc. and there's the annual tiered coupons for the GWP luggage sets only for Angel card holders (they are pretty sweet!).  Angel card holders also get early access to the Semi Annual sales (like 7 am instead of 8am).  They also have free shipping and triple points events a few times a year.  BUT, I will say this card is only worth it if you pay it off each month because the interest rate is nuts.

Other cards I had and didn't think were worth it:

Macy's (same discounts you can get in the paper/via email)

Express (not worth $10 rewards for every $250 spent)

Cards I think are really worthwhile:

Target debit card (5% off everything and no interest rate!)

Kohls (sooo many extra discounts & coupons!)

Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy (one of these, if you like the brands)

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Just adding on to this...you can use your Angel card at Bath & Body works too.  I'm an Angel Forever so I get $15 rewards instead of $10.  Also, I've gotten "thanks for being an angel" coupons for free (no purchase necessary) clutches, makeup bags, etc. and there's the annual tiered coupons for the GWP luggage sets only for Angel card holders (they are pretty sweet!).  Angel card holders also get early access to the Semi Annual sales (like 7 am instead of 8am).  They also have free shipping and triple points events a few times a year.  BUT, I will say this card is only worth it if you pay it off each month because the interest rate is nuts.

Other cards I had and didn't think were worth it:

Macy's (same discounts you can get in the paper/via email)

Express (not worth $10 rewards for every $250 spent)

Cards I think are really worthwhile:

Target debit card (5% off everything and no interest rate!)

Kohls (sooo many extra discounts & coupons!)

Banana Republic/Gap/Old Navy (one of these, if you like the brands)
Thanks for the information about the semi-annual sales. Forgot about those! 

I didn't know the Angels card had all those perks. I had one a few years ago and I just got a new one. The coupons alone are great! 

I'd definitely be interested in the Macy's and Kohl's ones. I really want the Costco card with cash back, but I'm trying to build my credit up a little more first since Amex is generally hard to get.

Latest posts

Back