What is one thing you never go drugstore on?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turntrekgodhead

Lipstick Lesbian
Reaction score
For me, it's blush, because I prefer bold blush.

For lots of others it's foundation, for many reasons- hard-to-find skintone, blendability, coverage, etc.

And for some it's skincare!

What's a product you tend to not buy at the drugstore but splurge on or buy online, or from an indie brand?

(I know some drugstores do carry more high-end brands like Stila, UD, Dior, Chanel etc.)

I don't buy foundation from the drugstore. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I did, even as a teenager. I may never have.

For the past 8 years at least, all of my foundations have been either MAC, Giorgio Armani, or Tarte.

About a year or so ago, I had recently made a new friend and the time came when we started playing around with makeup together. I was using her own makeup to apply on her and the foundation she was using was Covergirl. I was astounded by how bad it was. I could barely apply it because it was so thick, pasty, and gloppy. Even she admitted that she barely used it and that she didn't like it. I immediately took her to Target to buy a new one. She didn't want to spend a lot of money on high end foundation so we ended up getting her one by Boots. Even that was a vast improvement over the Covergirl. The Covergirl foundation was one of their classic formulas. I think trying to use that foundation on her served as a reminder to me to stay away from drugstore foundation. There may be other brands that are better but I wouldn't trust anything in the class of Covergirl or lower, such as Maybelline, Rimmel, NYC or Wet n Wild. If I ever tried a d/s foundation it would have to be Revlon, L'Oreal, Neutrogena, or Almay.

When it comes to powder I think that there are some fine drugstore products such as Physician's Formula or Almay. In fact, Almay made one of my favorite powders and discontinued it. I forgot what the name was but it was the kind made with water so that when you put it on it had a cooling effect on your face.

I actually think the next powder I buy is going to be L'Oreal True Match Mineral powder. It's new for Spring 2014 and I am anxious to try it and review it on my blog. I would wear this in combination with my current foundation, which is MAC Face & Body.

The product I almost exclusively go drugstore on is mascara. I think that many d/s mascaras hold up to their more expensive HE counterparts.

I'll also buy blush and lipstick from the drugstore. For eye shadows, I have yet to meet a drugstore eyeshadow that I like. I'll usually go high-end or indie mineral for eye shadows. MAC and Urban Decay are probably my most go-to brands for eye shadows.

I agree with you completely! My first foundation was classic covergirl and ... guh. I don't use foundation unless I'm going job hunting, lol. I've never used a high-end one yet, because it would go bad before I used it all. I imagine as I get older and more social I'm going to need to rely on a good foundation.

Right now I use L'oreal trumatch in N2, because it's the only thing I can find that matches my skintone in the d/s that has good coverage. But most of the time I use Vichy BB cream because I don't need heavy coverage...

I don't buy drugstore eyeliner!  Not a single brand's formulation stays put on my eyes.  UD 24/7 liners work pretty well on me.  The only exception is that I bought NYX The Curve liquid eyeliner.  I keep it at my desk for touchups and the days where I run out of the house with no eyeliner...it is pretty good.  

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I don't buy drugstore eyeliner!  Not a single brand's formulation stays put on my eyes.  UD 24/7 liners work pretty well on me.  The only exception is that I bought NYX The Curve liquid eyeliner.  I keep it at my desk for touchups and the days where I run out of the house with no eyeliner...it is pretty good.  
Have you tried Essence Stays No Matter What? It's a bugger to get off, but certainly does stay put.

Quote: Originally Posted by turntrekgodhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Have you tried Essence Stays No Matter What? It's a bugger to get off, but certainly does stay put.
I haven't, but I'll definitely look into it!  Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't buy drugstore foundation. There aren't any testers and so I can't find my correct shade. I wanted to buy a BB cream from Physicians Formula at CVS recently, but even the lightest shade looked too dark for me. I know that BB creams are supposed to blend into your skin, but I was a bit scared to try it.

Foundation, concealer, bronzer, and  eyeliners that I want to last the night.

Also...if I see powder eyeshadow I like I'll buy it, but I always know I have to use  a cream base/full  coverage concealer like make up forever to make it stay/show up more. They just are not as pigmented. If I do that first- it shows up equally. 

Liquid lipstick, some fake lashes, cream eyeshadow and mascara are 4 things that are equal if not sometimes better from DS if you pick the right brand and use it right. Lash Stiletto is one of my favorite everyday mascara's w/ a primer. Ardell Falsies are pretty good JUST NEVER USE DS GLUE and Maybelline color tattoo works really well!

Foundation for me too. I've tried some of the Drugstore brands, but ultimately I didn't really like how they looked on my face (often times they were cakey or oxidized too quickly). BB Creams too. Western BB creams don't seem to offer the finish or coverage I would like (except for Bio Beauty by NUXE BB Cream). Eastern BB creams don't match my skin (even though I'm Asian?) and they don't seem to want to blend into my skin (especially Skin79 BB creams).

I haven't had good experiences with drugstore lipsticks either.

BB cream, I only use Korean brands. I've tried countless drugstore and US brands and nope, doesn't cut it.

Well two things...

Foundations: Poor quality across the board.

Liners (lip and eyes): Pencils are too short, and they're dry, (too long on the shelf???)

Most definitely eyeshadows. Quality-wise (pigmentation and staying power), the brands you can buy at the drugstore can't keep up with higher end shadows. That is at least my own very personal experience :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'd say eyeshadow too, they higher end have better pigmentation and last forever. With one exception Elfs baked single shadows from target. I picked one up on a whim and for $3 no big loss, now I have them all.  

Foundation/BB cream - absolutely no drugstore anymore. Drugstore formulations generally clog my pores, make my face break out, don't provide enough coverage and don't last. I also prefer mid-end/high-end loose powder, though Nyx's loose powder isn't bad. I used to be a strictly no-drugstore concealer/color corrector girl as well (due to insufficient coverage and lack of decent color corrector options), though since discovering Hard Candy Glamoflauge and having consistent access to Nyx I've reconsidered my stance.

I will buy drugstore or higher-end eyeliners (though I am picky about what kinds I buy as some are too hard for my sensitive eyelids and don't last), eyeshadows (though I do prefer higher-end or indie due to pigmentation and fallout), and lipstick. I also don't mind buying drugstore pressed powder.

I prefer drugstore mascara since I hate spending megabucks on something you're supposed to pitch out every 3 months. I am careful about that since I wear contacts and have sensitive eyes. I also really don't care enough about blush or bronzer to spend megabucks on it (since my cheeks are naturally rosy). I also prefer to save my money on lipliners since drugstore colors are usually close enough to most of the lipstick colors I wear.

To answer your question, a lot of things. But let me mention this one anncedotal event that shows why I never use DS anti aging products on my face.

Got the walmart box, but duuno why since I use very little low end products. Put one of the 2 face creams on my face and by the end of the day, my face looked awful! That stuff I feel damaged my skin just from one use. My face skin actually looks better with nothing on for 8 hours vs. with DS anti aging products. What does this tell you?

With high end products, they know that no one will spend that kind of cash unless their product actualy does help. I know for years I used to repeat what I read in magaines about some high end companies also owning DS product lines. But they want you to spend the cash and will not give away their best formulas.

I have been privy to using multiple $300 plus products via sampling, and yes they make a HUGE difference! For example, 3lab sold their M cream etc in trial size tubes. I would use it for just certain spots and it worked VERY WELL. I have been very tempted to buy a large tube.

Maybe when you are younger a cheap face cream is totally fine. But when you need something with an extra kick, drug store products aren't good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back