Product Induced Acne - WTH?!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently started using two new products - Smashbox Photo Finish Primer and NYX HD Foundation. One of them is causing me to break out. I love them both so I am devastated. Anyone else had this issue with either product? I'm trying to figure out which one is causing my issue. I am sans make up today to give my skin a break and plan to stop using the primer first and see if it helps. 

Aw man, I just started using the Smashbox Photo Finish Primer and instantly broke out too, I was reeeeally hoping it wasn't related....

I posted on another make up forum and apparently it's common.  I'm bummed.  I really like the way it makes my foundation look.  Hopefully someone will comment with a suggestion for a replacement.

These products are both heavy on the silicones, which gives me near immediate acne. It's pretty common! I'd reach out to Zadidoll, she recommends an under-the-radar primer that is silicone free but performs as well. I haven't tried it yet, and don't remember the name, but otherwise it's hard to find a primer that works the same as silicone. Good luck!

Another silicone-free option I discovered this week is Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. Dunno why I've never heard it mentioned anywhere before but apparently it's been on the market for quite a while from what the Sephora sales associates told me. It's good, but nowhere near as good as Nurturing Force Blot Out, which has far superior ingredients and applies much better under & over foundation without disturbing it. I'll very likely be using the Nurturing Force primer for the rest of my life, or as long as they keep making it.

I realize I'm totally late to this thread but I discovered that silicones were behind my acne as well and was checking to see how common it is. I was having recurring acne over the last few years and wanted to chalk it up to hormones and aging (in my mid-30's) but realized it also coincided when I first started using complexion products like BB-creams and tinted moisturizers. I was a late bloomer since my complexion was generally quite good and I made the mistake of getting a makeover at a beauty boutique and they talked me into a tinted moisturizer. In retrospect at the time I barely needed it. It just evened out a teeny bit of redness. Since then I've had really small (one or two spots) to moderate (collections of larger, painful, spots around my face that really lingered) break outs which is actually a lot for me. My skin previously had been quite clear after my teen years.

After a bad experience with a really well rated (and extremely expensive night cream) causing my entire forehead to break out after two nights of use I decided to experiment by getting rid of all silicone creams and basically going bare. (Just using moisturizers/sunscreen that were silicone-free.) My skin immediately began clearing. After a week I had some residual acne but I managed to clear it with some medicated salicylic wash and after a few days I had returned to my old acne-free self. It was amazing.

Of course I'm a few years older and my complexion genuinely needs a little bit of evening to make it look its best so I began the hunt for products to replace what I was now missing. I did find that OCC makes a great tinted moisturizer and that's been my go-to for daily use. I'm using a Susan Posnick mineral foundation for situations where I want a little more coverage. I haven't gone looking for primers yet although during my silicone free test run I was using the LM Radiance Primer out of sheer desperation since it evened my tone just a teeny bit and made me a little glowy and was the only cream complexion product I owned that didn't have silicone.

I don't seem to have any issues with powders that contain silicones; I use the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder as a setting powder and it's great. Of course I'm not using it as heavily as I might a powder foundation but I feel it's definitely the creams that cause problems for me. 

Anyway, only question would be if anyone has recommendations for good BB creams that are silicone free? I'd like something with a little more coverage than the OCC, plus some of the other BB cream benefits. (I did try Ren before the OCC and the color match was awful on me.) 

Let me know if there's a better thread for this question and I'll cross post! 

Latest posts

Back