HELP! !!!!! what went wrong?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for all the hair coloring experts. I used the loreal superior preference the auburn one. I have dark hair n I kept the color on for 1 n half hours n I used the whole bottle my hair was extremely damp. But whn I washed it the color only came on the front hair and a little bit as well. Can anyone tell me wut went wrong n also any suggestions on wut would be best for a color like that? Thank u

Wow, maybe some pics would be ideal for the experts, story for what happened, and also sorry that I have no experience in this area. Good luck and keep us posted. Thanks. :icon_wink

Well...first it sounds like you left it on WAY WAY too long (like an hour too long) but that should have caused the color to deposit darker on the ends and possibly may have damaged the hair. You could have gotten a bad batch of dye. If you were coloring your hair and it was already dyed dark, that gives you another good starting place. Color (dye) will not lift color. From personal experience you cannot go auburn from dark hair if it is dyed dark. If you had previously dyed hair what took is probably new growth. If you didn't have dyed hair when you started, it still could have something to do with the length of time you left the dye on but was most likely a very bad batch of dye. Normally the company would reimburse you but I think if you tell them you left it on longer than directions dictate (because I've never known any brand of dye to require leaving it on more than 35 minutes unless it was bleach) they may not reimburse if it was indeed a bad product since they can say you didn't use it properly and be done with it. Another thing: the last time I had something similar to me I learned my hair took two boxes of dye. My hair practically drinks it. When I got my hair done over the weekend the stylist said the same.I went from one bottle to two without warning. It was random and has stayed that way. One bottle saturates my hair but despite this I STILL need the second bottle and I absolutely have to go minimum 36 hours without washing my hair or the color won't take. This is just my experience.Perhaps your hair is the two bottle/box sort. Other than se things that's all I really can say about it without asking my aunt who is a pro. This is just my random ramblings of what it may be so please don't get offended! Just trying to be helpful!

Well what type of hair did you have before? Was it colored before? If so how long since and how much? What colors was it colored before? If you are had natural hair before what color was it? Also i will say this any and i mean any hair dye from the drugstore i never wear for more than 40. Its normally recomended 30 but i go 40 just because my hair is dark. The reason you never leave that type of dye on for longer than recomended is because it can severly damage your hair. If you bought lets say a brand that dosent have the damaging things in drugstore dyes like vegan or henna dyes, then your hair would actually turn out healthier afterwards! Also if you check every five to ten mins and its close to the 30 mark and you see NOTHING or barely anything take it out! Most dyes or even natrual ones have a 30 min mark, so there is no reason to keep it in longer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dreamflame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well what type of hair did you have before?
Was it colored before?
If so how long since and how much?
What colors was it colored before?
If you are had natural hair before what color was it?

Also i will say this any and i mean any hair dye from the drugstore i never wear for more than 40.
Its normally recomended 30 but i go 40 just because my hair is dark. The reason you never leave that type of dye on for longer than recomended is because it can severly damage your hair. If you bought lets say a brand that dosent have the damaging things in drugstore dyes like vegan or henna dyes, then your hair would actually turn out healthier afterwards! Also if you check every five to ten mins and its close to the 30 mark and you see NOTHING or barely anything take it out! Most dyes or even natrual ones have a 30 min mark, so there is no reason to keep it in longer.
The questions here are really important in figuring out what the problem was. Also, you said you washed the dye out...did you use shampoo on that initial rinsing-out of the dye? I use L'Oreal hair dyes exclusively and I know you're just supposed to wet the dye in the shower, work it into it's own lather, and rinse. Shampoo would probably affect it greatly on that first rinse-out. It is odd that leaving it on too long would cause it not to take, unless your hair was maybe freshly washed and not dry enough before you applied the color?

Back