Why MAC?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a confession to make.

I have never - and I mean EVER - purchased or used ANY MAC product.

Not a single thing.

It's not really a price issue, although most of the makeup I buy is from masstige brands. I do buy high-end if it's an item I really like and I can't dupe the color and formula at a lower price point.

Part of the reason is that when MAC was first introduced years ago, I had just lost my car (and as a result of my injuries - my job) in a hit and run auto accident. So, overnight I lost both transportation and a substantial portion of my income. To even get to a MAC counter would have taken a lot of effort and I didn't really have the money to buy anything if I did get there.

While I am still without a car, my financial situation has improved and I can now use public transportation to get to a MAC counter- if I want to.

The trouble is, I haven't been able to figure out whether MAC is really worth the effort, or, as I've been reading on many blogs over the years, mostly about a reputation built on a foundation of hype, as opposed to a brand which really is superior to other brands in many ways.

I've also heard that the quality of MAC products has declined over the years, and that they seem more focused on coming out with one new collection after another, and, as a result, their formulas are suffering.

What say all of you? Is MAC worth the cost, or is it all hype? What, if anything, does MAC do better than other cosmetic companies?

I have several MAC products that I received for free, but in light of recent family events I will not be purchasing anything from the company.

The only thing I would say is worth the cost is their powder blush.

Quote: Originally Posted by turntrekgodhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I have several MAC products that I received for free, but in light of recent family events I will not be purchasing anything from the company.

The only thing I would say is worth the cost is their powder blush.

Now I'm feeling stupid
icon_wink.gif

Do you mean your own family's events, or did something happen with MAC (that I'm obviously not aware of - I'm perpetually out of the loop!)

Aside from one or two lip colors (for which I have not found a dupe) and Spice lip pencil (which i rarely buy as Wet and Wild 666 is a REALLY good dupe and does the job well) I don't buy MAC. It doesn't suck, but for one I think it's very over-hyped; and two, I do not like how as an older woman I tend to get treated at the counters. Or rather, not treated; I am typically ignored and made to wait while the clerks rush at younger customers in flashier clothing. I don't like to be fawned over and have products shoved in my face, but I do appreciate acknowledgement!

Quote: Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I'm feeling stupid
icon_wink.gif

Do you mean your own family's events, or did something happen with MAC (that I'm obviously not aware of - I'm perpetually out of the loop!)
Something that happened with MAC- haven't talked about it here before, it's okay! My aunt worked as a MUA for their Toronto branches for 16 years (why I got free products- they'd usually been used at the store). A new manager got hired and promptly fired her because "people wanted fresh, young, attractive faces to be selling them makeup".

My aunt sued for a 60k settlement and won, but my family has boycotted MAC for the near forseeable future.

However I honestly do love their blush and also their lipliners!

I don't think they care for older women as customers, either. I started getting ignored at the counters when I was about 37. I still smoked then and was still getting proofed for Newports, but for a lousy lip gloss I had to stand there and say, "Excuse me...EXCUSE me!"

Your aunt might have been the one that was selling me my MAC! It wasn't available in Buffalo until 2000. I used to wear it way more frequently and would shop for it when I visited the jerk from Etobicoke I almost married!

hmmm... there are 2 (out of 6 probably) older women SA's at the MAC counter in Macy's.

I like a few of their brushes, and the bronzing powder. i find MAC to be a reliable brand with fairly consistent quality.

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, "masstige"--what a wonderful new word!!!

I can't take credit. I came across the word when reading an industry article about NYX Cosmetics a couple of years ago. NYX is considered a "masstige" brand; mass market/prestige. Sort of halfway between drugstore and high end. I did a bit of reasearch on the word and it's also used for other industries as well.

I like it, too!

Quote: Originally Posted by turntrekgodhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Something that happened with MAC- haven't talked about it here before, it's okay! My aunt worked as a MUA for their Toronto branches for 16 years (why I got free products- they'd usually been used at the store). A new manager got hired and promptly fired her because "people wanted fresh, young, attractive faces to be selling them makeup".

My aunt sued for a 60k settlement and won, but my family has boycotted MAC for the near forseeable future.

However I honestly do love their blush and also their lipliners!

Well, that sucks!

Seems like they're cutting off their respective shiny noses to spite their nicely blushed faces. Not a smart move, IMO, from a business sense.

If your aunt worked for MAC for that many years, she probably built up a good client base that trusted her. She was able to capture both the youth market (that tends to be the demographic MAC focuses on), as well as older women. Unless her sales were poor (as compared to other MAC MUA's with similar seniority), then from a business sense MAC was stupid to fire her. I'm glad she won!

I'm older, but I don't purchase makeup based on the age group it's marketed to. If I like it and it suits my coloring and my makeup style, that's all that matters to me.

However, I won't purchase any brand of makeup or shop at any store if I feel unwelcome for any reason. I'm in a somewhat unique situation in that I have a physical disability and use a wheelchair for mobility. I'm often either ignored OR have salespeople hover over me to a point where it's annoying.. Those stores don't get my business.

I'm lucky because the SA's at my local Sephora treat me very well. If I went to a MAC counter and was treated badly, whether because my age isn't in their demographic or because they think I'm not interested in makeup or fashion due to my having a disability, it wouldn't matter how much I might want to buy something. I wouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saku /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  hmmm... there are 2 (out of 6 probably) older women SA's at the MAC counter in Macy's.

I like a few of their brushes, and the bronzing powder. i find MAC to be a reliable brand with fairly consistent quality.

Yes, I've heard fabulous things about their brushes! There are two brushes I definitely want; the 217 and 239. Although according to several blogs I've read, the 217 dupe sold by Coastal Scents is as good as the MAC. I have several of the Coastal Scents version and I love them, but never having used the MAC 217 *I* can't say it's a dupe.

Quote: Originally Posted by TwirlyGirly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, I've heard fabulous things about their brushes! There are two brushes I definitely want; the 217 and 239. Although according to several blogs I've read, the 217 dupe sold by Coastal Scents is as good as the MAC. I have several of the Coastal Scents version and I love them, but never having used the MAC 217 *I* can't say it's a dupe.
i don't have coastal scents, but i have this crown brush c433 (from a Hautelook bag) that's supposedly a dupe for MAC...the shapes are similar, but crown brush is definitely scratchier than MAC. i wonder if that's the case with coastal scents? i'm just speculating..

MAC 239 is a must have! MAC 217 is good, but found it a little too big for me, so i got smaller blending brushes from Hakuhodo. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> definitely get MAC 239 though. i have 2 right now, and planning to buy a couple more. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i also like MAC Blot powder. i think it's very effective.

i don't have a lot of MAC products because i'm not really religious to one brand, and only buy the supposedly best products from them. i research a lot, and try them in store :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Most MAC products can be duped but I personally only like some of their lipsticks. Their eyeshadows are kind of bad in my opinion. Wet and wild eyeshadows have the same color range but more color pay which is strange cause wet and wild is so affordable. I believe that their lipsticks are worth paying for but everything else in the line can easily be duped.

I am not going to beg any company to take my money. When I was younger, I couldn't afford it, now that I am older and can, they ignore me. I have found plenty of othet companies that will gladly help me spend my money.

I'm older, but I don't purchase makeup based on the age group it's marketed to. If I like it and it suits my coloring and my makeup style, that's all that matters to me. However, I won't purchase any brand of makeup or shop at any store if I feel unwelcome for any reason. I'm in a somewhat unique situation in that I have a physical disability and use a wheelchair for mobility. I'm often either ignored OR have salespeople hover over me to a point where it's annoying.. Those stores don't get my business. I'm lucky because the SA's at my local Sephora treat me very well. If I went to a MAC counter and was treated badly, whether because my age isn't in their demographic or because they think I'm not interested in makeup or fashion due to my having a disability, it wouldn't matter how much I might want to buy something. I wouldn't.
This, all of this. A product would have to practically guarantee my eternal salvation for me to stand at a counter and grovel for it. I've been ignored, sneered at, and told to my face that I can't afford something, because apparently "over 40 and plus-sized" violates corporate policies co-written by that jerk who runs Abercrombie and Fitch. My husband, a traditional turbaned Sikh, has received even worse treatment not only in men's stores, but just walking past certain places--we almost sued Victoria's Secret several years ago, after two clerks standing a opulent of yards from me (I was inside, he stopped for some tea and was heading to another store) were heard talking about him blowing up buildings.

I love Mac products! They are mid range in price point, but they provide excellent product quality, the size of most of the items are large and often exceed the value of drugstore brands.

That being said the counter is not my friend, I've been using mac for 18 years and I know what I want, but often find the staff have attitude. The fact is they have an item of the day that they have to sell. If you don't look like you'd use/wear that they often will overlook you.

BUT it is worth it:

1. Foundations, Foundations, Foundations the variety is awesome. You will find a color/formula that matches you, impossible not too.

2. Studio Fix powder foundation is AmazinG!

3. Eyeshadow great formulas with little fallout (way better then urban decay!!) and the product size often makes the shadows less then drugstore!

4. Blush again great formulas with staying power

5. Lipstick not my jam but people love them

The snot nosed kids at the counter don't have to give me great service just pull my products....I don't wait, I just say "I need xyz, thanks"

Also if you need help I find the men to be well versed in the products and way more helpful! Try it you'll like it
icon_cheesygrin.gif
Here's a tip you can purchase the eyeshadow on line (free shipping both ways no min) in just the pan (no extra container on the outside) for $4.50 less and Elf (found at target) has a $1 pallet that holds 4 Mac shadows perfectly.

The general attitude of their customer base is the hugest reason I don't buy there. I don't get why anybody thinks that just because they buy/sell/like/wear something it makes them better than anyone else! I worked with a girl who had a much lower position than me and she thought she was a queen for having tattoos and being in a band. She never asked me if I had tattoos or played in a band, just automatically thought she was better than everyone! And I was like, let's compare credentials...

Oh, surely there's a lot to say about Mac..

I personally love their products, whatever I bought it never disappointed me. Their lipsticks, concealers, powders and eye brushes are a staple for me, I found some products I'll definitely be using for the rest of my life and don't plan at all to substitute. I don't have any blushes or lipglosses from Mac but heard a lot of good reviews and some lipglosses seem to die for, so I'll definitely try out some.

The only product I'm not crazy about is their foundations, the color range is brilliant but I bought better foundations, not necessarily cheaper foundations, just better foundations for my liking.

I think their prices are absolutely reasonable, since I've been buying products much more expensive for less quality or same quality as Mac.

And yes, their policies are definitely questionable...

Hate their limited edition collections, even if I'm gonna buy a limited edition product, the fact that I'm not gonna be able to keep using it really gets on my nerves, in fact I end up always looking into permanent stuff.

Since the first time that I have been in a Mac shop I instantly understood that.. the staff are not really to rely on, if that's the best word to use. They often look too busy to help you and most of the times I just help myself without asking anything, unless I see a spare body available to help me, but even in that case sometimes they don't sound too glad to help you and speak quickly hoping to end the conversation as soon as possible..

Definitely it is annoying, but I really like their products and I take the best I can out of this brand, as I said most of the times I'll get the informations I need on internet and try the products by myself...

Back