Are there any brands that you aren't interested in?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was looking around Sephora and I passed by the Benefit section and I didn't have the slightest urge to even go look at their products. I don't know why, but Benefit has never been a brand that I've sought out. I have only tried one thing from them years ago and it didn't impress me. Their packaging seems bulky and all of the products they have are just...blah. The sets they have always seem to come with the same things, just repeated in different combinations so I have never gravitated towards buying from them. 

So, are there any brands that you just don't care to try?

Chanel, Givenchy, Dior, YSL...most luxury brands that aren't within range of my affordability. I try not to buy from brands that test on animals, but I wouldn't buy from those brands even if they didn't. I wouldn't buy from MAC even if they stopped testing on animals, because I've tried some of their products when I was in high school, and it didn't impress me all that much. I'm not a makeup snob at all; it's just that MAC makeup doesn't really stand out to me. I also have no interest in trying Lime Crime based on what I've heard about the scandal.

i love benefit and i have almost all of their products! LOL 

i'm not interested in trying the brand if i don't like the packaging (looks tacky, looks cheap, etc.). one thing i can think of specifically is ck. the packaging's just not appealing to me. for me, makeup is not only the quality of the product itself (60%), but also the 'experience' i get from using it (40%), which to me includes the packaging. i'm just weird like that 
smile.gif
 the best thing of course is great product in great packaging!

edit: I just want to add that i don't buy products just because of their packaging. i buy products that are good quality, and in a great packaging :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have no interest in Benefit or Clinque.  Although I have to admit I did just buy a Clinque Cheek Pop.  But I only did so because Gerbera daisies were my daughter's favorite flower.  I lost her three years ago (she was 19) to complications of a bone marrow transplant.  I had to have one because they made me think of her.

Quote: Originally Posted by sugarhiccup /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also have no interest in trying Lime Crime based on what I've heard about the scandal.

I also haven't considered Lime Crime for the same reasons.  I don't wear a lot of super bright, bold makeup colors but I don't think I would turn there if the occasion arose. 

I have no interest in Mary Kay, Avon, Benefit, Lime Crime or Sugar Pill, there are probably more but those are the first brands that popped to mind

I have no interest in Lime Crime, for one, not only because the outrageous colors don't appeal to me but also because I was reading a beauty blog for a while called lipsticksandlightsabers and she wrote at great length about various controversies that Lime Crime's creator was involved with. It was a couple of years ago so I don't remember a lot but they had to do with lying about ingredients and general customer service snafus and the chick just being an all-around horrible person. I was really disappointed when I went to the Makeup Show and saw that half the people there were carrying around these giant obnoxious Lime Crime bags and that the line for Lime Crime was like 20 people deep. I've been turned off the line forever.

The other one I would never buy from is Kat Von D. I just don't like her, personally, so I would not purchase her makeup if it was the most gorgeous palette in the world.

I'm not interested in MAC...just seems snobby to me (I don't know why, as I don't get this feel from more expensive brands like Dior and YSL). I haven't liked just about any BeneFit item I've ever tried, and won't be going back. On the cheaper end, I never look at Cover Girl. That was my go-to beginner brand with real makeup in high school (I liked the ads and bought everything Cover Girl), before I learned that just about everything else at the drugstore level is better than that. And I don't like Ulta brand or Sephora brand makeup at all - not the nail polish, lipsticks, shadows...nothing. ELF, too. The Studio brushes they have are alright, but nothing else, in my opinion.

CoverGirl is way overpriced for the crap products they put out. There are so many better options out there. I won't buy anything from them.

Physicians Formula is ... well, boring. Overpriced and boring and blahhhh.

Hard Candy is straight-up greasy glitterbomb disgusting. Everything I've bought from them either slid off my face, or gave me an eye infection.

NYC, more like Y-would-you-put-yourself-through-that when you could get Essence for the same price.

My midrange brand hate is directed at Clinique. Their lip products are sticky and soapy.

Smashbox doesn't appeal to me, Laura Mercier, Hourglass and Josie Maran look boooring.

Philosophy screams "gimmick" to me. I've heard bad things.

CoverGirl is way overpriced for the crap products they put out. There are so many better options out there. I won't buy anything from them. Physicians Formula is ... well, boring. Overpriced and boring and blahhhh. Hard Candy is straight-up greasy glitterbomb disgusting. Everything I've bought from them either slid off my face, or gave me an eye infection. NYC, more like Y-would-you-put-yourself-through-that when you could get Essence for the same price. My midrange brand hate is directed at Clinique. Their lip products are sticky and soapy. Smashbox doesn't appeal to me, Laura Mercier, Hourglass and Josie Maran look boooring. Philosophy screams "gimmick" to me. I've heard bad things.
I have to confess, I am a fan of NYC! And I like Essence, but I wish there was more variety in the lip colors--the formula is really nice. Philosophy, I like the Senorita Margarity body wash, and that is IT; I can't find a product with a similar fragrance anywhere. They used to have a full color cosmetics line, but it was some of the worst garbage I have ever tried. I'll second you on Physician's Formula. Recent products have crummy packaging that does a nice job of looking pretty, but I'm nervous about putting them into my purse because I think the whatever-it-is flimsy see-through cover will break with just a poke, like Saran Wrap. Regardless, their offerings are kind of ho-hum and very limited. Anna Sui, I have no interest in. Her stuff has cute packaging but it's the kind that looks pretty on top of a vanity table--very impractical for me. And I will match your complete lack of interest in Smashbox, and raise you with Mary Kay. For me the boring award goes to Elizabeth Arden--for some reason I associate it with church brunches featuring very dry and dull speakers.

I agree with Benefit.  Every single Benefit item I have tried has broken me out and I didn't think that they were that great anyways.  I have despised every single product that I have tried from Ulta brand, Philosophy and Murad and will never spend money on them again.  I've never tried a MAC product and honestly have no desire to do so - I don't have a reason why; I just am not interested in MAC.  I'm not interested in Elizabeth Arden either.

I had not heard of the Lime Crime scandal until this thread, but I read up on it a bit and will never try their products now.  I was intrigued by their velvetine lip stuff, but I won't be trying it now.  I am not a subscriber to Ipsy for the time being, so I wasn't involved in the POP beauty stuff last month, but after reading about it and how it was so poorly handled, I will never buy one of their products either.

Chanel, Tom Ford, Ysl, Dior...I agree those expensive brands aren't worth it to me. No one is going to look at your lips and go like, oh yeah "that's Tom Ford!" Maybe I'll try their foundations one day, but I doubt I'll every buy eyeshadow or mascaras from those brands. Benefit seems like a gimmick to me. I hate their packaging actually and there are just so many better products. I don't think they are known for having anything good. Physicians Formula. I hate all their bronzer bc it broke me out terribly. Also a boring brand as well. Another gimmicky packaging.

Kat von D.  I don't like her branding, her personality, or the Jesse James/Sandra Bullock/Kat von D mess.

I've seen great reviews of her products, but I've never had a burning desire to even swatch them myself.

I hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings here, I mean, we all have different tastes, but I want to participate! Hehehe!

I'm actually surprised to see that Benefit is mentioned a lot- I thought people loved that company! I love looking at the pamphlets, but once I started trying out the products, I stopped liking them so much and now I haven't even looked back.

First of all, right now I am doing only cruelty-free, so obviously because of that I have to ignore lots of brands, but here are some listed that I actively don't care for:

Benefit

Covergirl

Smashbox

MAC

Mary Kay

Avon

philosophy

Any of the designers- like Armani or Dior

Some companies that do tempt me (but I won't buy from because I want to stay cruelty-free) are: Lancome, Revlon, some L'Oreal stuff, LORAC

Mary Kay and Avon. I just don't like buying things sold through MLM. If I like something, I just want to buy it. I don't want to have a "party" and make my friends and family come over for a sales pitch.

Oh yeah and like everyone else, Mary Kay and Avon. MK is actually pretty expensive and those brands just aren't that easily accessible.

Totally not interested in Guerlain, Illamasqua, and other high end brands (like Givenchy, Dior and Tom Ford.)  I lose/break things like its my job and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that has an expiration date anyway.  I bought Diorshow a few times and I wasn't impressed at all.  I also don't "collect" makeup or buy it for the packaging (although I'm NOT judging my fellow MUT-ers who do!!) so I don't think I'll ever purchase from those brands.  I mentioned Lime Crime before, and in the same thread I also am not interested in Sugarpill, Inglot or GDE.  I know it's boring but I'm perfectly content with my UD palettes.

Playing the Devil's Advocate- I do like some things from Mary Kay/Avon sometimes.  I always end up getting hand lotions and bubble baths and stuff around Christmas when my female relatives inevitably go to a hair salon or party and walk away with an order.  I don't hate the products but I wouldn't spend my own money on them.  I do work with a woman who sells Mary Kay on the side, and I do usually place an order with her when she brings her new books in for a lipgloss or eyeliner in a color I wouldn't normally get. 

Quote: Originally Posted by kaitlin1209 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Totally not interested in Guerlain, Illamasqua, and other high end brands (like Givenchy, Dior and Tom Ford.)  I lose/break things like its my job and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something that has an expiration date anyway.  I bought Diorshow a few times and I wasn't impressed at all.  I also don't "collect" makeup or buy it for the packaging (although I'm NOT judging my fellow MUT-ers who do!!) so I don't think I'll ever purchase from those brands.  I mentioned Lime Crime before, and in the same thread I also am not interested in Sugarpill, Inglot or GDE.  I know it's boring but I'm perfectly content with my UD palettes.

Playing the Devil's Advocate- I do like some things from Mary Kay/Avon sometimes.  I always end up getting hand lotions and bubble baths and stuff around Christmas when my female relatives inevitably go to a hair salon or party and walk away with an order.  I don't hate the products but I wouldn't spend my own money on them.  I do work with a woman who sells Mary Kay on the side, and I do usually place an order with her when she brings her new books in for a lipgloss or eyeliner in a color I wouldn't normally get. 
Sorry, what's GDE? I'm not familiar with that.

I agree about the high end/designer brands. Honestly, a lot of the time they have tons of fragrance, which is kind of stupid. I don't want my eyelashes to smell like cake. I mean, it's terrible for your eyes and skin anyway. So, I'll keep my middle-range or cheap makeup, thanks! Heheh.

I agree about cK. Back in the day, I LOVED the Calvin Klein makeup that was sold in Nordies etc. in the early 2000s, but their new product lineup just doesn't appeal to me at all. 

Lancome, Elizabeth Arden, Bobbi Brown, Trish McEvoy, and Estee Lauder seem to be geared towards women twice my age and don't excite me. This is sad, because Lancome and EL always have amazing GWPs, and I love a good GWP. However, it seems Lancome is trying to update their image a little to be more youthful and exciting. 

I'm kind of turned off by companies that offer cosmetics on shop at home networks (Laura Geller, Smashbox, Mally, Signature Club A, etc.), though it seems like they're offering a lot more high-end brands than a few years ago, so I may have to get over this. Back before I got rid of my TV I would secretly watch all the beauty shows at 4AM without buying anything, lol.

I don't know much about Limecrime, but have heard enough that I don't want to buy anything from companies with unethical business practices. I'm also down on Pop Beauty right now because of the way they handled the manufacturing issue with the Ipsy glosses. Ditto for Bondi. I would like to support more companies that don't do animal testing, but haven't done my research.

Other brands that hold little or no interest include MAC, Kat Von D, Stila, bareMinerals, Korres, Philosophy, Too Faced (can't stand the packaging), most private label manufacturer companies (Starlooks, Be a Bombshell, etc.), and MLMs (Avon, Mary Kay).

Quote: Originally Posted by eastofthesun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Sorry, what's GDE? I'm not familiar with that.

I agree about the high end/designer brands. Honestly, a lot of the time they have tons of fragrance, which is kind of stupid. I don't want my eyelashes to smell like cake. I mean, it's terrible for your eyes and skin anyway. So, I'll keep my middle-range or cheap makeup, thanks! Heheh.

GDE is glamourdolleyes.  There's a thread or two and I believe the founder is a MUT member.  She makes really amazing looking eyeshadow  pigments, I'm just such a klutz that loose powders are not something I should ever touch and I'm not into DIY to press pigments either. 

Latest posts

Back