April 2014 No/Low-Buy Support, Advice, Free Hugs, and Commiseration

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
Ack!  It's almost That Time again!  I actually liked not buying as much stuff as usual in March, so I'm going to give that another shot for April.  My plan:

• Glamour Doll Eyes -- one small order of sample jars (maybe four, maybe eight.  I need to sit down and map out a plan for the rest of the year!) at the beginning of the month.  I don't think there is anything else new on the horizon for April, so that will probably be it, although if there *is* another as-yet-unannounced collection, that will be allowed.
  • One Geek Chic Cosmetics -- one order, contents to be determined.  I had been planning an order for March (samples of the Superneutrals collection), but they did a sneak preview of one of their upcoming collections, and it's a doozy for me:  To start with, there's a four-piece Fire Walk With Me nail polish set.  *thud*  I have no clue what else they're unleashing upon my wallet, but I'm just going to assume I will be ordering it all. 
  • essence cosmetics -- Eh, not sure what they have coming out, but I haven't seen anything on the international upcoming collections lists that is particularly memorable.  The trend edition page on the US site only lists two collections that are already out in my area, not anything upcoming, so I'll just set a $20 limit just in case something amazing does show up here.
  • Shampoo/conditioner -- I've been saying this for, what, four months?  If I run out, I can get more.  I do have some samples that I am kind of working my way through, but I tried one of them and *hate* it, so I think I'll save that one for OH SO VERY DESPERATE times instead of making sure I use it all up before I can get something-new.
  • Sephora -- Despite the 15% discount, I probably will *not* buy anything.  Except maybe some Carol's Daughter Monoi Oil shampoo and conditioner.  That stuff is a huge splurge, but I loved the sample I tried.  If they have an amazing GWP or point perk, I can place an order to get it, but I have a feeling that's just not going to happen.  I'm just getting jaded and annoyed with the whole Rouge program, and it's making me just not want to bother buying *anything* there.  Note to Sephora:  Don't promise exciting and thrilling perks if you're not going to bother to come up with any! 
  • Subs -- Birchbox, GDE, LMdB, and Starbox are prepaid (Birchbox is set through February, GDE runs through December, LMdB ends in July or August, and my first Starbox on the annual plan will be the April box).  I can keep Square Hue and Dollar Shave Club.  Julep and Scratch...  Don't know.  I have a feeling I'll probably skip both.  I have enough points with Julep to get a free box (or two), but they haven't really put out much stuff lately that I desperately want.  And I haven't been very impressed with Scratch's collections the past couple of months.  I want to love them, but I am not big on transparent nail wraps, and the colors for the newest collection are very much Not Me.  I'll just have to wait and see what the next round brings.  (And I keep forgetting I'm subscribed to LMdB!  The March box arrived on the day I had oral surgery, and it's *still* in the box.  I should just toss it up on eBay one of these days.)
  • Fortune Cookie Soap -- I just got a jar of sugar scrub, but if I run out by the end of the month, then I will order two or three more in Garden of Good and Evil scents with one of my discount codes.  I love this stuff for shaving my legs, and it's that time of the year!  Two or three jars would get me through until the summer stuff comes out, and then I will order jars of those scents since I'm super seasonal on this sort of thing for some reason.

There's no way I'll run out of shower gel, so that's still on the banned list.  And...  I think everything else is on the banned list as well.  Unless Birchbox comes out with a stunning LE box, I don't think I'll even get stuff from there with my gift cards ($80, all flipped from points).  I want theBalm's Apples cheek/lip palette, but I have so much cream blush already that I can't justify it.  I have to put a dent in what I already have before I can get something new. 

I wanted to get a drugstore brow powder to keep in my bag for days I forget to do them at home because I've realized I really prefer my brows to be just a shade darker than they are, but all I really want is the *powder*, not the powder and wax or a gel/pencil product, and all of the dark brown powder shadows I've been able to find are shimmery rather than matte, so my mere pickiness there is helping me to not buy it.  I guess I'll just deal with having not-as-dark-as-I-would-like brows on the days I forget to do them at home.  I'm lucky because my brows don't *need* anything.  Even when I had them waxed a few weeks ago, I could barely tell anything had been done unless I looked *really* closely, so I won't bother with that expense any more.

And my comic con is this weekend, which means it will be over by the first of the month, and *that* means I now have to start focusing on planning/saving up for the next one in September.  Fortunately, that one is local, and I already bought my pass, so I just have to save up for food and dealer room stuff.  I don't even have to pay for parking if I need to shave that cost because I'm a bus commuter, so I can take public transit to the con if it comes down to it.

Finally, it will be time to get back on the routine of shopping one weekend a month and staying home getting my apartment in order the other three weekends.  Surgery and ECCC really threw a wrench in those works!  (And now, time to go clear out my car's hatchback so I can fit my suitcase in it!  I love my car, but the hatch is much smaller than I'm used to, and I'm not sure my suitcase *and* all of the goodies I plan on buying this weekend will fit in there unless I take *everything* out of it.  Well, it will be time as soon as Ed stops snuggling and nuzzling.  How can I possibly dump a cuddly kitty on the floor?  Answer:  I can't!)

(ETA:  The actual answer turned out to be "Pretty damned easy when he decides it's time to BITE MY EAR.")

Ok plan for the month!! 1. I can buy a bottle of face wash and it won't count against no buy since I'll run out this month. 2. I can buy conditioner if I run out. Edit: running out includes all samples gone. 3. One $25 sephora or ulta order for whatever. Preferably during chic week so I get the discount, with the following stipulations: no eyeshadow, no blush. That's it! Everything else is off limits. We don't have a payment on our new car until 5/11 but I'm making us "pay it" this month so I have a better idea of how it feels to pay it monthly. Good luck everyone!!!

Alright here we go! -no eyeliners, blush, mascara, or lippies -swaps ok -birch box : I have 2 now for some awful reason. I gotta cancel. No point in getting more crap to clutter up my apartment just because it's "free with points" -foundation/tinted moisturizer is allowed. I'm thinking Big Easy (got another sample) and maybe the Balm's Balmshelter tinted moisturizer? I have like 3 tm or foundation samples from sephora right now to test out -real techniques flawless face brush -birchbox order with points (I have about $100 and this is after my $50 spree!) -haircut after I finish all my term papers and before I graduate. Gotta look good for my hooding ceremony! (End of April haircut maybe early May) I hope I can handle it!

Ok, really have to get serious about this. I just got out of the hospital where I ran up some major bills. Soooooo...cancelled ipsy, little black bag, next month after I spend points will cancel a BB, the other is annual so I will keep. I am selling stuff on EBay because I went a little Memebox crazy so at least I can sell some things to pay for that. I will keep my weight watchers membership. I can request free samples from companies. Cut back on swapping (postage). No purchase of anything that I am not completely out of. Sephora orders under $5 are ok on occasion. Gotta do it because I don't know how long before I can go back to work :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Give me strength to resist all the good deals

Oh yay there's an April thread up!  

Allowed for April:

-Ipsy and ONE Birchbox. (I can get a second birchbox if 1)I really like the stuff that's in the boxes and 2) I can use a code to get points or a nice GWP)

-My usual $25 splurge budget for all other beauty purchases.  I *may* pick up a full-size gel cleanser.  I have combo skin and recently switched to a milk/cream cleanser.  I mainly like it, but I do still like using a gel cleanser occasionally because I feel like my skin gets cleaner.  If anyone can recommend a good drugstore-level gel cleanser for combo/sensitive skin, you'd be my hero!

Non beauty, but kind of necessary for MUT - I need to get my laptop's screen replaced.  I was quite stupid and left my laptop closed on the floor, and during a kid/dog chase through the living room, SOMEONE stepped on my computer.  There's a huge spiderweb crack radiating out from the right side, and whole portions of the screen around the cracks is black.  It's kind of funny, because the pattern looks like a dinosaur footprint on my screen, but really not, because I have to grab my screen and scoot it around to see every word/image.  Has anyone ever had a similar situation and knows approximately how much it is to get the screen replaced at a Best Buy - type location?  (Neither my hubby nor I are good at fixing computers, and we haven't lived here very long and don't know any good local computer repair shops.)

I was quite good in March, and really hoping to carry it forward through April!  Cheers to us!

[@]magicalmom[/@] what kind of laptop is it? Screens are pretty expensive to replace sometimes. In most situations (at least from what I heard... Esp if it's an older Mac), it's usually more cost effective to just buy a new laptop than to get a screen replaced. Best Buy would do it but I feel like that would be $$$. If you have those weird "WE FIX COMPUTERS " places it might be worth popping by. I'd take quotes before you stick to one place. Source: my dad used to fix and flip iPods and laptops. Screens were always the biggest PITA.

It's a Toshiba. It's smaller than a standard laptop, maybe 15 in? The rest of it works really well so I'd rather not replace the whole thing. I may look up some repair shops or take it in to Best buy for a quote. So far I've been able to work around it but now the screen is starting to short out in vertical bars so I don't think it'll work toooooo much longer!

April No-Buy Guidelines

• Subs (Birchbox x 3, ipsy, Beauty Box 5) - Allowed to keep. Will cancel one of my Birchbox's after this month and use it for promo-use only. Unless I use 3 of my ipsy products, it gets cancelled as well. Fortune Cookie Soap box is already paid, so I'm good on that.
  • If I run out of 'staple item', I can re-purchase to replace it.
  • Two 'oops' buys - cash only!
  • If I'm not out of a staple item, but they run a seriously stupid good deal on it, I can buy it, but I have to take away an 'oops' purchase.
  • Things I know I have to replace - body wash, face wash, & e-liquid oil for my vaporizer.
  • 50$ shipping budget for swaps.
  • Can only eat out once a week.
  • Completely 100% off limits(except for swaps) - hair dye(*sigh* is grunge back in?), clothes, shoes, perfume, lotion, blush, lip products

I'm going to try a low-buy for April. Things I Can Get: 1 Sumita Eyeliner in Lime Green if I don't get it in my Birchbox. 1 Orange Lip Product. Must be purchased online & it has to be from a company I absolutely know is cruelty-free. Indie Nail Polish. 1 Order. $35 or Less. Probably ILNP or Del Sol brand, but I can't make up my mind. Things That Are Off Limits: Coffee! I have been spending over $30 a week on coffee. Shampoo & Conditioner Shower Gel Room Sprays/Candles/Difusers Drugstore Nail Polish Eyeliners (Except the 1 Sumita) Drugstore Lip Products Face Cleaners I have enough of everything that off limits to last 3 months to a year (longer if I count lip products), so it's not like I need more. I need to spend money on clothes. Ugh. And Shoes. Ugh, Again. Birchbox does not count, at least for April. Both my accounts are already pre-paid because 1 was gifted with points and the other they charged me $10 immediately when I resunscribed after my March box was sent.

Starting April 1st, I'm on an extreme low buy until August 1st. I can replenish items that I use daily when they run out. I might cancel my birchbox sub once I get my 13 month code in April. I have to cut back and save up for my move to another state.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Starting April 1st, I'm on an extreme low buy until August 1st. I can replenish items that I use daily when they run out. I might cancel my birchbox sub once I get my 13 month code in April. I have to cut back and save up for my move to another state.
Bless your heart for being brave enough to go on a low buy through the summer. I know that's when I'll go crazy. lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-My usual $25 splurge budget for all other beauty purchases.  I *may* pick up a full-size gel cleanser.  I have combo skin and recently switched to a milk/cream cleanser.  I mainly like it, but I do still like using a gel cleanser occasionally because I feel like my skin gets cleaner.  If anyone can recommend a good drugstore-level gel cleanser for combo/sensitive skin, you'd be my hero!

I'm monitoring this thread because I spent WAY too much on PS/clothes/GT/swaps this month, and need to cool it down! Not on anything strict, but this thread keeps me in check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyways, I wanted to suggest the Acure Gel Cleanser -- I've had good luck with it, and it's great for sensitive skin! 

http://www.drugstore.com/acure-organics-facial-cleanser/qxp345044?catid=182291

Quote: Originally Posted by trustlust /img/forum/go_quote.gif  
Bless your heart for being brave enough to go on a low buy through the summer. I know that's when I'll go crazy. lol.

Lol thank you! Hopefully I will survive. I have enough makeup to keep me happy for a couple of years months.

Quote: Originally Posted by lioness90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Lol thank you! Hopefully I will survive. I have enough makeup to keep me happy for a couple of years months.
I would have to also cross out months and put weeks days. lol :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by camel11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm monitoring this thread because I spent WAY too much on PS/clothes/GT/swaps this month, and need to cool it down! Not on anything strict, but this thread keeps me in check :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Anyways, I wanted to suggest the Acure Gel Cleanser -- I've had good luck with it, and it's great for sensitive skin! 

http://www.drugstore.com/acure-organics-facial-cleanser/qxp345044?catid=182291

Thank you, my hero!  I'll check it out!

April: New Years resolutions continue to apply (it's getting hard!). They were: 1) aim to go more natural, and 2) only buy replacements for the whole year! It is taking forever to use stuff up and I don't want to hoard or have items get rotten so this is the year of downsizing. Plus, this year my goal is to focus my spending on the house and only things I need, with a couple pre-determined exceptions. This month I will definitely need to buy primer, and possibly a hairbrush, hair conditioner, body lotion, and night cream. I'll see when those things kick the bucket. If a certain collection shows up I can snag that too, but will wait until May if possible.

I was doing so well on my no-buy and then I just caved. Last month, I bought a NARS blush, I bought ridiculous things during the NYX 30% sale (Yellow eyeliner? Orange blush? I love colors, but come on! I won't use that!), etc stupid things that I absolutely do not need. I LOVE that NARS blush though.

I am going back to my I do not need anything no-buy! Like nothing! Not even chapstick (Hello! I have a life supply as it is)

I'm a college student, I work one day a week, I am not drowning in any debt thanks to scholarships, but school supplies are killing me! Luckily, my parents help me out. I feel selfish that I go and spend $30 on a blush, but then I have to ask them to help me buy printmaking supplies. Art supplies are freakin' expensive! I need them more than a blush so from now on I need to keep that in mind.

Can I paint/draw on a canvas with that? That is what I need to keep in mind. I could say I could paint my face with it, but I have an insane amount of makeup. I do not have an insane amount of canvases. I need money for that!

I will keep my Birchbox and Ipsy for this month. It is my birthday month. I am thinking of cancelling my ipsy after this month. I will miss it and I do love ipsy, but I need to focus on the stash I have.

Since it is my birthday month, I also have to keep in mind that I may splurge on one or two things that have been in my wishlist for awhile. I will see how I feel though, I may be too invested to purchase something. Who knows? I will wait and see.

Quote: Originally Posted by MIKAGlam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was doing so well on my no-buy and then I just caved. Last month, I bought a NARS blush, I bought ridiculous things during the NYX 30% sale (Yellow eyeliner? Orange blush? I love colors, but come on! I won't use that!), etc stupid things that I absolutely do not need. I LOVE that NARS blush though.

I am going back to my I do not need anything no-buy! Like nothing! Not even chapstick (Hello! I have a life supply as it is)

I'm a college student, I work one day a week, I am not drowning in any debt thanks to scholarships, but school supplies are killing me! Luckily, my parents help me out. I feel selfish that I go and spend $30 on a blush, but then I have to ask them to help me buy printmaking supplies. Art supplies are freakin' expensive! I need them more than a blush so from now on I need to keep that in mind.

Can I paint/draw on a canvas with that? That is what I need to keep in mind. I could say I could paint my face with it, but I have an insane amount of makeup. I do not have an insane amount of canvases. I need money for that!

I will keep my Birchbox and Ipsy for this month. It is my birthday month. I am thinking of cancelling my ipsy after this month. I will miss it and I do love ipsy, but I need to focus on the stash I have.

Since it is my birthday month, I also have to keep in mind that I may splurge on one or two things that have been in my wishlist for awhile. I will see how I feel though, I may be too invested to purchase something. Who knows? I will wait and see.
We all fall down but we have to get back up. And 
birthday.gif

April plans:

• Cancel all subs except Birchbox (although I cancelled one of the four I had coming in and another one will be cancelled after April) and Nina Garcia and NOT resubscribe because of a deal. Oh and I won't cancel Julep or Square Hue, but I can only purchase one or the other. 
  • No makeup purchases not even for chic week. I need NOTHING. I was trying to figure out something to purchase, but after doing an inventory, I just can't find anything I need at all. If there are fabulous Sephora samples, I can buy some cotton rounds, but that is it! Max total allowed to spend $10.
  • I can buy conditioner only because we need it for the girls' bathroom.
  • I can buy one new outfit for running.
  • I can buy a new top OR skirt for Easter (but not both...I have to use something from my closet).

Ok...I think that will do!

Lots of "that's life" expenses happening in April. I don't even have the estimate on one of those yet and I'm already cringing in anticipation of the quote. Among other stressors, I'm preparing for a licensing exam that I will take at the end of the month. Because of this, I keep wanting to buy myself some happy, but it's pointless because it's not like I'm going anywhere but work and then straight home to study until the day of reckoning. 

So, not really allowed to buy makeup. The only exception is finding a summertime foundation, which will be a bit more matte than my current one. However, I'm a lot happier with my skin than I've been in years, so maybe I'll give that a pass or look for a tinted moisturizer.

I need to find a spf moisturizer that I like, but again, it's not like I'm actually seeing the sun while I hole myself up studying. So while I really want one, I should wait until I'm sure about some other expenses. That also goes for my sudden desire to pick up  stuff from Paula's Choice. It can wait a couple of more months. 

I need a new primer, but I think I'm actually doing better without one recently, thanks to my skincare, so that can also wait?

I'm allowing myself a Birchbox as a treat to break the doldrums. I haven't decided yet if I'm allowed to buy myself something after the test or wait until I get the results back a month later. 

Latest posts

Back