Buying products also sold in China?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello ladies! Being a slightly newer member, I was pleasantly surprised to find this group. I've been buying cruelty free nail polish for over 6 years, all cosmetics for 4+. Which is substantial considering my age lol. However, as someone how rarely shops on line, and sticks to mostly lower-end cosmetics (drugstore, sephora, but no Chanel or anything like that), I have been annoyed by seemingly EVERYTHING starting to be sold in china. It's almost impossible to keep up, and as someone who loves trying new products, it's like a mental tug of war as to whether or not to buy a product that I'm not completely sure doesn't sell in china. Anyways, I was airing my grievances with another CF friend, and she told me that she DID buy products from brands that were sold in china. Her reasoning was that the brands didn't test unless it was necessary (so obviously doesn't apply to brands that test everywhere), so there were only doing it for the profits, which is every companies #1 priority, after all. She also mentioned that these were also being sold in the EU, so only the Chinese products were tested. She brought up some pretty good points about it not being the companies, it being china, and that the companies took the effort to remain cruelty free in other region, and that we could help show said companies that profits are good enough in other countries to cease selling in china. Also about how hard it would be to find cosmetics otherwise (especially because she is on a low budget and has some severe perfume / other common cosmetic ingredient allergies). She is admittedly less stringent than some (with things like using gifts or used cosmetics), but I was I just wondering what others thought of this? I think I am decidedly undecided.

I do buy and use cosmetics made in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan. Hong Kong and Taiwan are controlled by China however I have no idea how Chinese laws apply to Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you're concerned about products made in China, Hong Kong or Taiwan look for products made in Europe (animal testing is banned for cosmetics).

I just saw this post. Thanks for joining us!

Hmm... I never thought about it the way your friend described. I think we all have to take our own personal slant on how we choose to adopt ideals.

However, for me, I am also less stringent in some in that I will buy from cruelty-free companies that are owned by non-cruelty-free companies, however, if I find out a cruelty-free company starts selling in China (Mario Badescu, Stila) then I try hard to avoid buying from them.

I haven't bought any non-cruelty-free cosmetics since January 1st, and I'm so excited!

I will buy from a company whose parent is not cruelty free, but if the product is sold in China, I will not buy anymore.

To me, if the company advertises that its ethics is to not test on animals and then starts selling in China, they're violating their ethics. They can't have it both ways. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s probably nothing wrong with these products being sold in China except that, for personal care products, I’d really rather stay with those brands that have established themselves with good and respectable reputation. 

Latest posts

Back