MissJexie

Korean /Asian Beauty and Skincare Talk!

I'm on an iPad mini and normally view and add products in the desktop site but then swap to mobile to view basket and place order on Roseroseshop. It's a pain but normally works ok...though on a no buy at the moment as trying to get through the hundreds of products I already own.

Does anyone else set goals for themselves and their product usage? I've been following and reading the Makeup Rehab subreddit for few weeks and trying to think of skincare specific goals I can set myself. I guess I'm working on a Project Pan (is there a skincare equivalent?) and trying to finish up those random opened products that are sitting around taking up space. I'm also working on my sheet mask stash. Purging ones that don't work for me and making myself use masks in general more often. I think my end goal is to have a smaller stockpile of random items and eventually just have the products I really like or a couple I want to test. I really wish it was cheaper and easier to swap/sell in Canada.

• Like 1

I haven't set goals on usage but I've been more mindful lately of using the ones I have instead of ordering more. Although I still have ordered but not as much as usual. :) I'm being more mindful of what I'm ordering. I just went through all my products and samples and reorganized them all using various subscription boxes as the holders of everything. Now I have skin care/ body care and korean skin care separated. I've been reaching for samples more now that they are more organized and find it so much more satisfying. When I see a used up sample going in the trash I feel so much better. After Christmas I was on total no buy and used up some of my samples then but nothing like I'm doing now. I'm using the samples and various products I have more systematically now and having them organized makes it so much easier. The 100 day no buy thread inspired me to get more organized with everything. I was putting it off for a while because the task seemed daunting to organize all my stuff but I finally tackled it and feel so much better now. It's still a lot of products and samples which is horrible but at least they are getting used up now instead of being stuffed somewhere. Once I get these used up, I'm going to try and stick with a skin care that works for me. Being obsessed with skin care and makeup products like I have been since my teens it's hard not to try and want to buy the newest stuff but it's getting easier now that I'm older and my kids take up my time and money.  :) 

• Like 2

Guys- I just checked Kerry from Skin and Tonics facebook page and saw this:

"Ok, everyone! Cat's out of the bag. Coco ( The Beauty Wolf ) and I have been writing a book! It's called "Korean Beauty Secrets: A Practical Guide to Cutting Edge Skincare & Makeup."

It's being published by Skyhorse Publishing and will be released internationally this fall! WE ARE SO EXCITED! We've been dying to tell you guys about it, but had to wait until it was official. IT'S OFFICIAL! Sorry about the superfluous exclamation points but I kind of can't help it right now!!!!"

I feel like I know a lot about kbeauty, but I am TOTALLY buying that book when it come out! LOL

• Like 2

Would love a kindle version.

Gotta admit that I may well do a non fiction for campnano in July though about koreaN beauty though and the madness that has taken over my life, and so many other people's luves, since memebox.

Edited by Jane George
  • Like 1

I'm going to need that book too! Kindle or regular book version either way. I love books (have too many) and a book on Korean skin care sounds too good to pass up!

• Like 1

Does anyone has a good recommendation for reducing the look of sebaceous filaments? They may also be blackheads. My nose is covered in them and looks like a strawberry. It feels smooth and I don't think it gets oily. I just wants to reduce the look of them but there's so much options out there, I have no idea which one is the best to invest my money in. What would you ladies recommend based on your experience?

Does anyone has a good recommendation for reducing the look of sebaceous filaments? They may also be blackheads. My nose is covered in them and looks like a strawberry. It feels smooth and I don't think it gets oily. I just wants to reduce the look of them but there's so much options out there, I have no idea which one is the best to invest my money in. What would you ladies recommend based on your experience?

Using AHA/BHA products along with a Clarisonic has completely eliminated my sebaceous filaments, and my nose and chin were loaded with them!

I use the Paula's Choice 2% BHA, the Mizon 8% AHA Serum as well as the Mizon AHA/BHA Toner. :)

Just got a new RRS haul today (will post pics in Hauls thread when I get a chance). . . and I have to ask:  they sent me a sample of a Mizon product with placenta in it??!?! Does anyone know what kind of placenta we're talking about here? I'm trying to decide whether I can try it or not (had to give away a full size pig collagen sleeping pack not long ago b/c I just couldn't make myself use it).  Would love any insights.

@@beastiegirl i dont know about the placenta but the pig collagen masks are great, mine only smells of fruit so i just dont think about it and slather it on ;)

On another note, why is it that the minute the house is empty and i put on a sheet mask i get two knocks at the front door in the next 10 minutes?? I got sniggered at by the postman and the next guy didnt even tell me what he wanted, just looked at me, apologised and ran off!

• Like 1

My skin has finally recovered from it's winter freak out. I need to replenish my k-beauty ampoule/essence/serum stash.

I was looking at The Saem Power Ampoule Hydra. Has anyone heard of it or had any experience with it?

I'm looking for something that will work well for retaining moisture in dehydrated skin.

@@beastiegirl i dont know about the placenta but the pig collagen masks are great, mine only smells of fruit so i just dont think about it and slather it on ;)

On another note, why is it that the minute the house is empty and i put on a sheet mask i get two knocks at the front door in the next 10 minutes?? I got sniggered at by the postman and the next guy didnt even tell me what he wanted, just looked at me, apologised and ran off!

I'll happily slather on snails and bees and sea creatures. . . but I don't eat mammals and had a hard time looking at that cream the same way I would a snail one.  Just a personal thing. . . and also why I'm hoping someone has some insights into this placenta ingredient :)

• Like 1

I think some are plant placenta and some are animal placenta but not got this one so can't look at ingredients.

I would be enclined to think it might be something like lamb placenta though as the plant placenta ones tend to say plant placenta.

For me I'm not particularly squeamish so will use anything.

Edited by Jane George
  • Like 1

I think some are plant placenta and some are animal placenta but not got this one so can't look at ingredients.

I would be enclined to think it might be something like lamb placenta though as the plant placenta ones tend to say plant placenta.

For me I'm not particularly squeamish so will use anything.

hahah I'm the exact same way- I've been hunting down weird beauty tools and skincare ingredients so I can do some fun reviews- Once I discovered kbeauty and got over my weridness about snail mucin, I was all in lol

I always find certain things difficult in terms of farming practices difficult but I think that using placentas in beauty products is not one of them.

Since they are iron rich and therefore good for the skin I prefer them to be used rather than discarded as that is the only alternative sadly as they are only useful in the uterus.

The one I just can't bring myself to use is horse oil. I've a bottle of something from one of the Memeboxes and it'll likely go in the bin as just not happy at the thought of some poor cuddy being used (I can find very little info on where the oil is "harvested" from but looks like fat of some sort so guessing its a dead horse. Yes I eat meat and can see the double standards but just can't put Dobbin on my face not matter how great it may be for my skin.

• Like 1

I'm not sure in Korea but I know horse is eaten a fair amount on the continent and if it is eaten in Korea it would be another waste product.

Tbh I probably won't use the horse oil either though as I have so much and prefer to use the plant oils like argan or rose hip or macadamia anyhow as they are what I am used to and I find they are beneficial to my face, hair and body.

Edited by Jane George
  • Like 1

I did read somewhere (probably a post on reddit with sited info) that they do not kill horses for the purpose of using their fat. The horse is used for food and cosmetic companies take the fat and use it to make cosmetics. I can only assume this goes for pig collagen as well. Korea is really really big on no animal testing and no animal cruelty.

ETA: I wouldn't use horse oil or anything with pig collagen because it gives me the willies. I can't even eat chicken on the bone, ya'll. It resembles what it is a little too  much for my liking. You can all go to town on it and tell me all about it though.

Not scared about placenta though, or other weird things like ground up spiders, or bird nests/poop. I will put just about anything on my face as long as it works. But animal fat...I won't do that.

Edited by ChullBird
  • Like 1

Anything to do with snail extract etc is a stretch for me let alone horse or placenta.I try not to think about the snails. Plant based I'm ok with but animal just doesn't sound good to me. I do eat meat, fish and chicken so I'm not a vegetarian but when it comes to skin care, I prefer plant based. I didn't realize they use pigs also. I hope the piggy jelly pack I bought doesn't have pig in it. If it does, I think I prefer not to know. :) I'm glad the ingredients are not in English so I can't check.

Give me ALL the snail and all the venom!!

Seriously I'm still lusting after all the bird poop face masks- they're so gross I must have/review them! LOL

• Like 2

The bird poop stuff works! At least a Japanese version I've tried. :D The one I used for a while was ground into powder and you make a paste with a little water and use it to exfoliate. Really worked wonders on my skin. Now to think of it maybe I should get it again. I forgot about it until now.

I tried the piggy jelly pack last night and wow that stuff is great. It was an interesting experience since it was so jelly like but really worked great on my skin.

At this point I think I'll slather just about anything on my face regardless of the origin of the ingredient. I love all the collagen products I've tried. And I'm not sure if it's an added fragrance, but I'm a huge fan of the sort of fruity scent the ones I've tried have. If that's what pork rinds smell like I think I need to try eating them. 

• Like 3

Oh did I hear bird poop?

That's music to my ears. :)

I have been looking for a good bird droppings mask for a long time now.

(never thought I would type that sentence)

Does anyone have any reco's ?

• Like 2

Oh did I hear bird poop?

That's music to my ears. :)

I have been looking for a good bird droppings mask for a long time now.

(never thought I would type that sentence)

Does anyone have any reco's ?

I've heard good things about this one- It's been on my wishlist forever!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DPF0LJW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=KG5A9NIV14HV&coliid=I1DVQ0LJIHJ108

• Like 1