What has happened to my MAC 187 brush?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I´ve had this brush for a couple years but haven´t been using it as much as it looks like it has seperated and doesn´t do the same job as it did when I first got it. Compared to my 188, you can obviously tell there´s a difference and it´s not how it should be. I´ve cleaned it properly but it doesn´t help. Is this a defect or something I´ve caused myself? 

I would have taken it back to the store if I had the receipt but unfortunately I don´t so I would like to hear others opinion first! 

I would try washing it with a mild soap, then put a brush guard over it and let it dry. You can get brush guards at walmart next to the eco tools brushes.

So I´ve had this brush for a couple years but haven´t been using it as much as it looks like it has seperated and doesn´t do the same job as it did when I first got it. Compared to my 188, you can obviously tell there´s a difference and it´s not how it should be. I´ve cleaned it properly but it doesn´t help. Is this a defect or something I´ve caused myself?  I would have taken it back to the store if I had the receipt but unfortunately I don´t so I would like to hear others opinion first! 
What's your brush washing routine? What product(s)? And how often? Looks like your bristles are still wet. When I do my monthly cleaning, my 187 looks just like that when wet, but when dried, it goes back to normal. Mine looks like this:
Here's my brush washing routine for full volume brushes... 1) I wash mine after every use with a brush cleaner (Parian Spirit). 2) About once a month I wash them using a shampoo and conditioner... A) Gently squeeze the excess water out. B) Spin the brush very fast In between your palms so that the bristles gently fan out. C) Then lay the brush flat so that the bristles are hanging over an edge of a table to air dry. DO NOT... Lay the bristles on a flat surface as you will create a flat area on the side dome. Blow dry your brushes, as this will make your bristles poofy and the bristle tips too spread out that powders won't grab properly. SOLUTION... After washing your 187, squeeze the bristles tightly, DO NOT spin the brush or let the bristles fan out, and let it air dry as suggested above, and see if this does the trick. If this doesn't work, try soaking the brush just below the ferrule in 99% for about 5 min. (DO NOT USE *Rubbling Alcohol). Tightly squeeze the excess out and then SPRAY your brush down with a brush cleaner, clean as per label instructions. DO NOT clean or rinse using soap, shampoo, water etc. If this doesn't bring your bristles back to normal, or looks the same in your pics, then sadly your beloved 187 is toast. Fibre optic brushes are difficult to revive, either way you have a couple of options to bring them back. Good luck. *Alcohols are not created equal! There are specific reasons why manufacturers create different types of pharmaceutical alcohols...

I have contacted MAC twice about these brushes and have yet to get a reply!  I love MAC but these 187 brushes are just bad.  Mine shed terribly.  I purchased the Sigma equivalent and haven't had any problems with it yet.  

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*Alcohols are not created equal! There are specific reasons why manufacturers create different types of pharmaceutical alcohols...
You always have such good info!! I use 99% alcohol to clean my brushes during a week or two and then do a deep cleaning. I spray the brush and then swirl it on a clean paper towel until no more color shows up. I saw this on goss makeup artists channel on youtube.

Does this sound like I'm doing it right??

You always have such good info!! I use 99% alcohol to clean my brushes during a week or two and then do a deep cleaning. I spray the brush and then swirl it on a clean paper towel until no more color shows up. I saw this on goss makeup artists channel on youtube. Does this sound like I'm doing it right??
Yep, that's exactly right.

If you have a metal lash comb while you're washing it with soap use the lash comb to brush the bristles. Rinse and hang to dry. After drying use the metal lash comb again to "style" your bristles back into shape.

Back