redjill

(Spoilers) Julep May 2014

Bleh.  I am only interested in the mint green and the baby blue cream.  If It Girl was the green, the blue, and pretty much anything else, I would snag it, but I am utterly uninterested in the wand and the colors in Color Crush (and, ugh, seriously?  Putting a tool in a profile that was specifically created *to omit tools and products*?  Why didn't they just leave It Girl alone and create a new profile with two polishes and the wand?  Oh, wait, I know:  Because if they had done *that*, they wouldn't be forcing the wand on people like my coworker who don't read the emails or change their profile).  They must *really* want to move these wands because they're doing double points, but that's not enough to sway me.  Skipping yet again.  I can't believe how bitter and cynical this rollout has made me.  I thought I was already as bitter and cynical as I could get.  (And I wish I could check more than one reason for skipping.  I hate that wand *and* the colors.)

ETA:  If they really wanted to make using their polishes easier, they would make the bottles shorter and squatter.  The length of the brush is my big problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaMingo View Post

Ok I do see on one page that it says prepaid but I'm the order history is where it still says the charge. We'll see.

Yea same here.  I think we'll just have to see what happens when they actually process the charge.  I believe that even though the invoice says the full amount, since it said on the original page that the box is prepaid, they will only charge whatever add-ons you selected.

I'm a bit puzzled by the sale of the extra brushes. Do we need to use that brush in order to use the wand? Or had they ordered all these new brushes when they were planning to change the cap design? I preordered this month and decided to get the polish upgrade. I have enough Jules that it's free since the box is already paid for. Though with the double points, maybe I should pay cash and get the extra Jules.

I'm going with Boho Glam and adding on the nail art tools and that pretty raspberry color. I am actually way happier than usual with this month.

In terms of the customization, it's saying if you upgrade  to the one option and pay for 3 months in advance it's essentially the same price as now. Does anyone understand

1. If after the 3 months you are charged the higher price of $25 instead of auto renewing for 3 more months -or0

2. If this will impact your ability to skip, if you pay for 3 months in advance?

I may have to email CS for answers but I'm thinking the next few days will be BUSY for them so I may hold off...

Goddammit. At first I had boho glam with the creativity kit, Laree, and an extra 2 pack of the precision kit. Right as I went to switch my box to Bombshell (add ons the same except Paulette instead of Laree), the creativity kit went ~out of stock~ so I couldn't switch to bombshell. Looks like I'm calling customer service tomorrow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennm149 View Post

I'm a bit puzzled by the sale of the extra brushes. Do we need to use that brush in order to use the wand? Or had they ordered all these new brushes when they were planning to change the cap design?

I preordered this month and decided to get the polish upgrade. I have enough Jules that it's free since the box is already paid for. Though with the double points, maybe I should pay cash and get the extra Jules.

No you don't need to use the brush. The brush and extra caps they are selling could be handy for using the wand with other brands, putting caps on a few colors during a multicolor intensive mani so you're not switching them around with wet nails, or switching out brushes on some of you old Juleps that have the old weird brush.

• Like 1

I'm going with Boho Glam and adding on the nail art tools and that pretty raspberry color. I am actually way happier than usual with this month. In terms of the customization, it's saying if you upgrade  to the one option and pay for 3 months in advance it's essentially the same price as now. Does anyone understand 1. If after the 3 months you are charged the higher price of $25 instead of auto renewing for 3 more months -or0 2. If this will impact your ability to skip, if you pay for 3 months in advance? I may have to email CS for answers but I'm thinking the next few days will be BUSY for them so I may hold off...
See, I'm actually personally wondering how the skipping would impact the 3-monthly billing schedule...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

I'm going with Boho Glam and adding on the nail art tools and that pretty raspberry color. I am actually way happier than usual with this month.

In terms of the customization, it's saying if you upgrade  to the one option and pay for 3 months in advance it's essentially the same price as now. Does anyone understand

1. If after the 3 months you are charged the higher price of $25 instead of auto renewing for 3 more months -or0

2. If this will impact your ability to skip, if you pay for 3 months in advance?

I may have to email CS for answers but I'm thinking the next few days will be BUSY for them so I may hold off...

In the Julep blog post:

Quote:
 All subscriptions auto-renew. Your current skip privileges will not change.

Sounds like if you choose the 3-month, it will renew as the 3-month. And you will still be able to skip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmish View Post

So I am a little confused.. I pre-ordered. And it looks like I am not getting anything different than I would had I not pre-ordered.  Am I correct in that? I just funded them for no reason?

It seems to be that way....I think they falsely created the idea of a limited supply to get funding upfront when in reality they planned to use the funding to secure product for all mavens. Typically shady Julep nonsense. 

It's not shady, it's crowdfunding, and they were very clear about the way it worked when they first solicited the pre-orders. Crowdfunding is customer-funded product development. Instead of taking the risk of producing large quantities of a product that may not sell well, a company asks customers to pay *before* the product is produced. If not enough interest (money) is generated to justify making the product, those who paid get their money back. If enough money is raised, production begins, the funders get the product they paid for, and the company begins sales of the product to the general public. Quirky works this way, Kickstarter works this way. Software companies have been doing it for decades. You've basically paid them in advance to make a wand for you. Now you're getting the wand you paid for. You've already paid for the May box, you won't be charged again for it. Other Mavens who did not pre-pay and want to get the May box, with or without the wand, will pay their usual $20 bucks for it. Nobody's losing out here, it works like any other Maven box, except that some of us paid for it a couple months early.
  • Like 5

No you don't need to use the brush. The brush and extra caps they are selling could be handy for using the wand with other brands, putting caps on a few colors during a multicolor intensive mani so you're not switching them around with wet nails, or switching out brushes on some of you old Juleps that have the old weird brush.
Thanks! FYI, there's a post in FB that they are aware of the issue with pre-orders not showing right and they are working on a fix.

I thought the colours in the bombshell box were the same as last month just slight variations of the shade. Also Iona looks like a purplish colour in the swatch and very similar to Sylvia. But they describe it as a blue hydrangea.

I can't seem to find any information on the Jules. Does anyone know how many Jules you get if it's your birthday and anniversary month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Silva View Post

In the Julep blog post:

Sounds like if you choose the 3-month, it will renew as the 3-month. And you will still be able to skip.

That still confuses me (it could be because I've just woken up). Im going to have to email them, I dont mind paying three months in advance...but if I skip for two months in the three month time frame and then they auto renew 60$...does that mean i'll have a 100$ credit? I like julep, but not that much haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyriot View Post

That still confuses me (it could be because I've just woken up). Im going to have to email them, I dont mind paying three months in advance...but if I skip for two months in the three month time frame and then they auto renew 60$...does that mean i'll have a 100$ credit? I like julep, but not that much haha.

I think it will be like a credit. So you pay $60, they credit your account for $60 for Maven boxes. Then once you use that up it will auto-renew. I don't know for sure though so if you do get an answer from Julep let us know!

Also, take note, Julep states:

Quote:
 Once you switch your current subscription to My Maven or Maven Luxe, you can’t switch back to a non-customizable subscription.

Once you switch your current subscription to My Maven or Maven Luxe, you can’t switch back to a non-customizable subscription.
I saw that too. At least we have some time to think about it. But paying $60 once every three months and having the option to customize and skip might be OK. Wonder if we'll be able to pay for the pre-paid with Jules.

This is precisely what I want to know. And only for use on monthly boxes, so you couldn't apply that credit to sales or anything. I think I'd be ok if you could skip and then apply that month's $20 to the next if it's awesome colours and you then want to upgrade, or something like that.

I think it will be like a credit. So you pay $60, they credit your account for $60 for Maven boxes. Then once you use that up it will auto-renew. I don't know for sure though so if you do get an answer from Julep let us know!
This I would be ok with. But not sure Julep would let the grandmothered-in skippers do this. If this is what they actually have in store, then they would make me a very happy Maven.
  • Like 1

I didn't preorder, so I'm getting Polish Lovers Upgrade, with wand added on, 2 brush/caps, and swatch stickers. I just bought dotting tools and brushes so I don't need the Creativity Kit. And in terms of the customization, I'll probably be skipping that. I upgrade almost every time so there's really no point for me.

I thought the colours in the bombshell box were the same as last month just slight variations of the shade. Also Iona looks like a purplish colour in the swatch and very similar to Sylvia. But they describe it as a blue hydrangea. I can't seem to find any information on the Jules. Does anyone know how many Jules you get if it's your birthday and anniversary month?
Iona just looks like Bailey which looks like Monaco which looks like Octavia which looks like Mona. They've done blue to death. I think you get 200 on your anniversary, my birthday just past & I got 200 Jules.
  • Like 1

Anyone else notice if you want all the colors, it's cheaper to go Polish Lovers Upgrade and add on the Plie than it is to get the Ultimate Upgrade?
But you also get the nail art tools with the Ultimate.

I actually love all the colors (minus the apricot Karen dupe). I went for the polish lovers upgrade and added on the plié wand and mystery polish. I'm not interested in the extra plié tools so it was cheaper to do the polish upgrade + add on. I swore I would never do another julep mystery box after my match one was filled with shimmery rust colored polish (not my jam) but I can take the risk with one polish. My three month sub ends with the May box so I'm definitely interested to know what the deal is with the different sub levels and customizable boxes. Dumb question but do subscriptions auto renew to monthly or will it auto renew to 3 month?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjill View Post

But you also get the nail art tools with the Ultimate.

You can do the set with the wand and the tools for $18 added on. It' still cheaper than Ultimate. Just takes up one of your add ons.

Iona was already sold out by the time I woke up this morning around 8:30. I decided that since I like many of the colors and I'm an idiot when it comes to nail art, I'd do the Ultimate upgrade. My first upgrade ever! And I did the mystery add on; I'm using Jules to get it for free, so I can always give it to my sister if it's a dupe. I'm more or less happy with this month's box.

Ugh. The Creativity kit is already sold out. Way to go with not anticipating demand Julep. Wonder if I should call tomorrow and complain because this is ridiculous!

You can do the set with the wand and the tools for $18 added on. It' still cheaper than Ultimate. Just takes up one of your add ons.
I thought about what you said, and I decided to stick with the Ultimate. Part of that is stubborness : P, and part is because it comes with 2000 Jules for next time. So I can get next month's box for free. :)
  • Like 1

Man, I wake up late today and stuff's already sold out!

Ok, so at first pass- I wasn't too excited with the colors- but then looking at them again closely, I def see ones I like a lot & love too-  I love Laree in my bombshell box but Saaya- bleccch!!!  apricot, no way it will look good on me.  Which is surprising, most of the time- I really love the bombshell colors. (next 2nd fave profile is It girl). I like iona & paulette, but already sold out.   So my final decision is CWaT (maddy's pretty and Im intrigued by the description of Ramona- Muted lavender rose), and added on Laree, and color crush (ha! now I can get iona & paulette!) and a bit bummed out that the Plié creativity kit is sold out- so I added on Raegen, which I've been wanting for a while now but was either sold out or full price, so now I get it for free w/ Jules (& actually Laree was free too).  Basically only have to pay for the color crush.  Not bad.   7 polishes plus the wand, means everything basically cost me $5 each.  Which is totally reasonable to me.  (of course it shows in my order history the full price... it better take into my account my freaking credit!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly Silva View Post

Quote:

Oh boy.... not sure how I feel about that, what if I didnt like it and wanted to switch back?  And if you do pre-pay for say 3 months, but what if you wanted to skip in the middle of it (hated one month or something..) Im not too confident in Julep to get it right... Im def going to wait and see how it works out for others before I make a switch...