Grey eyeshadow for eyebrows?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At some point I heard a beauty guru using grey eyeshadow for her eyebrows. I decided to try it the other day and I'm so happy because I love the way it looks! Does anyone else use grey eyeshadow for their eyebrows? I'm curious as to how it works so well. I've tried so many other eyebrows strategies for my black eyebrows, brown, dark brown, hazel, light brown, and black. All of them made my eyebrows look too fake! But this grey...it's my cure!!! Now I need to find a good matte grey eyeshadow. Maybe I should post a picture to see what others think...

I've been using light grey, but I'm thinking of transitioning to a darker grey but I'm just scared it might be too dark :/

Quote: Originally Posted by xoKeeBuuxo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've been using light grey, but I'm thinking of transitioning to a darker grey but I'm just scared it might be too dark :/
I use a darker grey from Cailyn on my eyebrows in the color "Iron" - Its a gel liner. I have dark dark brown- Black hair and it looks great

Okay. So I've found my perfect eyebrow match. It's an eyeshadow from the Revlon Colorstay line. The quad is named "Precocious"
 ​

​
and I use the dark grey matte shadow for my brows. I love it so much and I'm so happy to have finally found my perfect brow shade. Like...seriously...soooo happy!!

I'm not sure why Dark Grey looks good on the brows, but perhaps it has something to do with the warm or cool tones? Also, maybe our eyebrows are really just grey lol

This is my makeup haul where I talk about the eyeshadow. 

0.jpg
 ​

@yummyflavour it might be because gray kinda looks like 'shadow', so it perfectly blends in.. i can imagine it looks good with a wide variety of hair colors.

@saku yes that's true, i completely forgot to mention that as i noticed it does look like a shadow. i'd love to see what grey shadows looked like on other eyebrow colors. i think i'm going to try a medium shade of grey now, because i applied the darker grey today for the second time and i'm starting to feel like it makes my eyebrows look deeper, and i'm really going for a very natural look. i will update once i try a medium grey. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Oh that's just awesome. I'm totally going to try grey on myself just because I'm curious. I've been meaning to try eyeshadow in general as I've seen it done quite often on youtube.

I generally use a gray eyebrow pencil for my brows.  They are impossible to find the US unless you go online of course.  They are part of the normal range of eyebrow colors in Asia though and very easy to get there.  I always feel funny when I use a brown color for my eyebrows because my hair is just straight black and it always feels too warm/red.  ZA Everbrows, Etude House Drawing Eye Brow Pencil, Maquillage Soft Brow Liner, Lunasol Brow Styling Pencil, and Suqqu Eye Brow Pencil are some of my favorites because they are all waxy pencils making it easy to apply with a mascara like brush on the other end to blend it in

That's a great idea. I find that clients with very dark or black brows always want to use black shadow but it always looks way too harsh...and yes, creating a 'shadow' effect makes a difference if you're trying to fill in the brow... I might just add a gray shade to my brow line now.. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah grey shadow works.

4-5 years ago at IMATS Toronto, an MuA on the main stage demonstrated using grey-green and lake liners as subtle highlights in conjunction with your standard brow colours to fill in brows that looked natural, not dark and fake.

Yeah grey shadow works.

4-5 years ago at IMATS Toronto, an MuA on the main stage demonstrated using grey-green and lake liners as subtle highlights in conjunction with your standard brow colours to fill in brows that looked natural, not dark and fake.
I would have liked to see that. Brows are the most confusing aspect of makeup for me, so an explanation deeper than "Just fill in where you need it with a color that matches" would be very helpful, and also very interesting. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back