e.l.f products!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have never really tried e.l.f. products, but they are having a 50% off sale online so I thought I would give them a try! Any suggestions on what I should get?!

I like their eyeliner that has an eyeshadow on the end. I don't use the shadow but the eyeliner stays on well and you can smudge it. I also like their misting finishing spray- I don't remember the name of it exactly but it's in a black bottle. I like it during the summer because it feels refreshing. Elf has some hit and miss stuff, it's cheap so just buy a few things and find out what you like!

i am the blotting paper queen and theirs are pretty darn good.much better than the slippery clean and clear type ones,and for $1 for 50 you can't really beat it.i haven't really liked any of their makeup but i LOVE the stippling brush and the tiny concealer brush for nail polish fixing.

i am the blotting paper queen and theirs are pretty darn good.much better than the slippery clean and clear type ones,and for $1 for 50 you can't really beat it.i haven't really liked any of their makeup but i LOVE the stippling brush and the tiny concealer brush for nail polish fixing.
I'm going to have to get some of those now! I didn't even realize they made them!

I have quite a few ELF products, so I thought I'd give my impressions about the things I have.  I'll mention that I have very oily skin and generally wear Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Treatment foundation in Creamy Ivory (the lightest they have).  Also, this became very, very long, so I apologize for that!  I tried to group together similar products, 

-Tinted Moisturizer in Porcelain.  Decent product.  Dries nicely and isn't sticky like other tinted moisturizers I've tried, but might be a touch dark on my skin.  I bought this on a whim at Target and just assumed that Porcelain was the lightest shade, but ivory is.  

-Tone Correcting Powder in Cool.  I ordered this as an afterthought, as I was trying to get a large enough order to get free shipping and thought I was getting a cream product they used to have.  This is one of those powders that have yellow, blue, green, and pink sections.  I was pretty disappointed when it arrived and was a powder, so it sat unused for about a month.  I set my makeup with pressed powder and a brush instead of loose, because I find it get less cakey, so I used this one day when I couldn't find my pressed powder and I LOVE it.  It sets my makeup wonderfully and I find I don't get oily as fast.

-HD Blush in Superstar.  This is new to me and I've only swatched it/played around with it, but haven't worn it out yet.  Color payoff is insane.  One pump is way too much to do both cheeks, partly because it's so pigmented and also because it tends to dry somewhat quickly.  It is buildable, though, so I'd start out with a tiny, tiny amount and go from there.

-Essential Bronzer and Blush set.  This comes with a mini kabuki brush, which I found to be scratchy.  This seems to come in only one color set, a kind of baby pink blush and lighter bronzer.  I normally avoid baby pink blushes, as I find them to look strange with my coloring, but this looks nice.  I'm still new to bronzers, so I haven't used it, but swatches look very nice with my coloring.  Not too dark and not too muddy/dirty.  The texture is pretty awesome on both.  Very smooth and creamy feeling and the blush blends awesomely.  

-Baked Blush in Peachy Cheeky.  I didn't care for this at all.  I feel that I have to really pack it on in order to get any color payoff, which is annoying because it's got a ton of shimmer/sheen.  I say, if you get this, don't get it for a blush, get it as a highlighter or a topper for a matte blush you like and want to have a sheen.  

-Baked Highlighter in Pink Diamonds.  Didn't care for this at all.  It was messy and had no staying power.  I think I used it twice and it seemed to migrate down my face then disappeared within a couple of hours.  I gave it to my 10 year old niece.

-Smudge Pots.  I have two of these, Cruisin' Chic and Hit the Town.  They are very creamy, apply great, and have awesome color payoff.  I've read that these are a kind of dupe for the Maybelline Color Tattoos and I'd agree, with the color payoff part, but not the texture.  These are much creamier than the Color Tattoos.  I have to kind of rub my finger on the Color Tattoos a couple of times to get enough product, but only have to touch the Smudge Pots.  My CT's aren't old and the lids are on very tight, so that's not the issue.  I will be curious as to how the Smudge Pots hold up in humid weather.

-Baked Eyeshadow Palette in NYC.  This was my first baked shadow experience and I was not impressed.  I found it pretty much impossible to apply with a brush, wet or dry.  I found that I didn't pick up enough pigment with a dry brush and that the shadow didn't transfer to my eye with a wet brush.  The best method I found was a wet finger, but I had to do a decent amount of rubbing to get it to transfer.  Overall, it was just too much work for me to really bother with.

-Eye Transformer.  This is a new to me, so I haven't had much time to play with it.  This is 4 shimmer powders to be used over darker shadows to give them an opalescent shimmer.  They do work and the effect is cool, but I don't know about their staying power.  

-Eye Primer and Sealer.  I haven't used the sealer yet, but bought it for the primer.  The primer comes in stick form and works really well.  I've used it with all brands of shadow and it's the perfect amount of tacky to hold shadows in place without creasing.

-Mineral Eye Shadow Primer.  I got this because someone on youtube said it was a dupe for Urban Decay Primer Potion. I'd say it's comparable and it's a decent product.  If I had one complaint, it would be that it's a bit too wet for my liking.  I generally do my makeup in a rush, so having to wait 30 seconds for something to dry down a bit is tiresome, especially when I don't have to bother with that when using the Eye Primer and Sealer.

-Essential Lip Balm Tint in Berry.  Gives a light wash of color, not sticky, tastes like vanilla.  It's a lip balm,so not much else to say.  

-Mineral Lip Gloss in Darling.  I didn't care for this at all.  It isn't sticky, but it feels very heavy on the lips, which I found unpleasant.  There's no smell and it has a taste that I can't quite identify.  The description says it contains coconut oil, so that's probably it.  I prefer the Essential Lip Balm, hands down.

-Studio Glossy Gloss in Funky Fuchsia.  It had a decent color payoff, but I had it less than an hour when the brush pulled loose.  I attempted to reattach it, but it didn't quite work, so I think it's a loss cause.

-Essential Extra Lip Gloss in Michael and Brett.  Extreme color payoff and a nice feel on the lips.  It reminds me more of a liquid lipstick than a gloss, to be honest.  I've only worn this around the house, so I can't speak to longevity, but it seems to wear like a gloss, so while it has a lot of color, you don't seem to get that ring around the lips that you'd get from a liquid lipstick.  

-Makeup Remover Pen.  Awesome little thing.  I've used it to clean up messy eye makeup and lipstick and it does a great job on both and is much less messy than a qtip.  One tip I have is to wipe off the tip after use, because whatever you cleaned up before will transfer the next time you use it.  

-Makeup Lock and Seal.  Haven't used this yet, but eager to try it out.  I bought this to use in the summer months, because it gets pretty humid here, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.

-Brush Shampoo.  Nothing notable about this.  It's really thick, so I cut it with water.  It also doesn't last very long.  I use about 10 brushes on a regular basis, have used this twice, and there's only about 2/3 left in the bottle.  I won't repurchase.

-Small Stipple Brush.  I bought this to use with the Maybelline Dream Bouncy blush and any other cream/mouse products I might get in the future.  The brush seems nice and will probably be perfect for those types of products, but was useless on the Dream Bouncy Blush, so at the moment, it'll be unused.  It feels very nice on the skin, though.

-Eyeshadow 'C' Brush.  I have two of these, one ordered and one purchased at Target.  I bought them about 6 months apart and I think they changed it a bit during that time. The Target brush is shorter and has brown bristles, like the Essentials line, and says "professional eyeshadow brush" on the handle, but has the same bristle shape and black handle as the 'C' brush.  I almost prefer the brown bristle brush, as it seems to do a better job of packing on shadow.  The black bristle brush almost feels a bit too smooth or slick, although both are good.  I have no idea if you can find the brown bristle brush anymore, but wanted to mention it in case that particular one was some sort of Target only thing.

-Essential Defining Eye Shadow Brush.  This is an angled brush and I like to use it for smudging along the lashline or crease.  It's a bit too soft to use to pack on color.

-Small Precision Brush and Small Smudge Brush.  These are basically the exact same brush, which is annoying, as the Small Precision Brush looks bigger online.  The bristles on the Precision Brush are about 1/8th of an inch longer, but the width and thickness is exactly the same as the Smudge Brush.  I don't think you need both and would recommend the Smudge Brush, as the shorter bristles give a bit more control.

-Contour Brush.  This is a round brush and is great for blending in the outer corner.  I bought this on a whim, but it's been very handy and I use it much more than I expected I would.

-Retractable Lip Brush.  I own three of these, because I was looking for a lip brush I could keep in my purse without making a mess and saw they had this.  I had a slight learning curve with this, as the bristles are a bit stiff and I felt it kind of dug into my lip pots and the product was concentrated on the tip and application was annoying. Once I changed my angle so that the brush was almost parallel to the pot, I got more even distribution of product.  That was obviously user error, but I thought I'd mention it.  

-Essential Foundation Brush.  This was the first Elf brush I bought and I was so disappointed.  It make my foundation a streaky mess and I almost tossed it.  However, it does a FANTASTIC job applying face masks, so that's what I use it for.  

-Essential Powder Brush.  Scratchy, flings around powder instead of picking up it, doesn't do a good job of blending whatever powder does get on the brush.  Gave it to my niece to play with.

Oh yeah they make a face primer in a white container. I used it first on my hand and it felt like silicone. It smoothed out the skin and looked nice. Use it on my face and the next day I broke out. I rarely break out and that made me break out. I have yet to use it again.

Quote: Originally Posted by Esthylove /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh yeah they make a face primer in a white container. I used it first on my hand and it felt like silicone. It smoothed out the skin and looked nice. Use it on my face and the next day I broke out. I rarely break out and that made me break out. I have yet to use it again.

Doh!  I went through all that, but forgot about the Mineral Face Primer!  I've only used it a couple of times, because it doesn't seem to do anything for me and I was worried that, it being basically silicone, it would break me out.  It did make my foundation easier to apply evenly, but definitely didn't extend its wear time.  I would not wear it under my foundation during the spring and summer months, because I can tell it would just make my foundation slide right off.  Frankly, I'm only keeping it around in case I travel to a desert climate.

I have many ELF products and some are duds but there are some that are true stand outs that I reach for over my high end products.

The ELF studio blushes and the studio baked blushes are amazing! They are highly pigmented, come in a gorgeous array of colors, and easily last on my combo skin 8-10 hours before fading.

The ELF high definition setting powder is finally milled and just gives your face a flawless finish when using it to set foundation.

The ELF studio bronzers are also really amazing. I have a blush/bronzer duo that is an exact dupe of Nars' Orgasm/Laguna duo.

I am getting ready to place an order soon of some of their studio line lipsticks. I think I also want to try out their primer and their liquid foundation and see what my results are. Rarely does makeup break me out so we'll see what the coverage and staying power is like.

Back