(Discussion) Midsummer Swap 2014 survey brainstorming

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meaganola

Uh Huh Her
Reaction score
I went through a couple of surveys and pulled some questions together, but I know I'm missing huge chunks, and it needs to be pulled into better shape, but I got hit with not one but *two* of these weird painless visual migraine things that just leave me exhausted and borderline functional, so I think I used up the last of my post composition juice creating the Fairy Lounge, although I did some up with one question and added a love/hate section (which could probably use a few more broad categories).  Very, *very* rough draft:

Basic background information, for reference:

• Color preferences
  • General favorite color combination
  • Apartment color scheme

Slightly advanced information:

• Specific products I am lusting after
  • Just can't get enough
  • Favorite brands
  • Favorite scents/notes
  • Fandoms
  • If a Harry Potter fan, into which house would you self-sort? Into which house did Pottermore sort you?
  • Lush status
  • Things to avoid
  • Allergies

Love/hate:

• Foils
  • Hair oil
  • Facial oil
  • Fragrance
  • Sunblock/sunscreen
  • Tanning wipes/self-tanner

Do you subscribe to any subscription boxes? If so, which one(s)?

Anything from recent boxes you covet?

If I am your secret santa and send you an over the top, fab gift would you:

a)prefer everything wrapped individually

or

B) have a huge smorgasboard to look at

AND would you prefer to:

a) open each gift slowly and methodically

or

B) tear everything open like a mad woman

Miscellaneous questions:

• Any wishlists (amazon, etsy, Sephora, etc.)?
  • Do you own a lot of items from any particular brand?
  • What makeup item do you use every day?
  • How would you describe your style of makeup?
  • What are your feelings on prepared/unsealed samples?
  • What kind of extras would make your day?
  • What ONE PRODUCT (not brand or color in particular, just product) do you use more than any other? (What runs out the quickest in your make-up drawer?)
  • What designs are you geared towards?
  • You just won a $50 giftcard to Birchbox/Target/or insert your favorite beauty store here....What's the first thing you want to buy???
  • If you were to get something in your package that wasn't makeup or a beauty product, what would you be over the moon to see?
  • Is there an item (makeup, tool, skincare) you feel is missing from your routine, if so what?  Alternatively, is there a tool that you are looking to add to your collection?
  • What is that one item you have been wanting but just haven't bought so far?
  • How would you describe your style?
  • Would you rather have a bunch of minis or one or two full-sized products?
  • What ONE COLOUR (not brand or product in particular) do you use more than any other? (What runs out the quickest?)
  • It's summertime. It's sunny. It's 90 degrees. You can go anywhere you want in your basic generic city. Where would you go?

So.  What questions am I clearly missing?  I know there are a ton of them, but I have to go crash out for the night even though it's not even 9pm on a Friday night, so I can't go dig through last year's discussion thread any more this evening.  Must go sleep.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I went through a couple of surveys and pulled some questions together, but I know I'm missing huge chunks, and it needs to be pulled into better shape, but I got hit with not one but *two* of these weird painless visual migraine things that just leave me exhausted and borderline functional, so I think I used up the last of my post composition juice creating the Fairy Lounge, although I did some up with one question and added a love/hate section (which could probably use a few more broad categories).  Very, *very* rough draft:

Basic background information, for reference:

• Color preferences
  • Apartment color scheme

Slightly advanced information:

• Just can't get enough
  • Favorite brands
  • Favorite scents/notes
  • Fandoms
  • If a Harry Potter fan, into which house would you self-sort? Into which house did Pottermore sort you?
  • Lush status
  • Things to avoid
  • Allergies

Love/hate:

• Foils
  • Hair oil
  • Facial oil
  • Fragrance
  • Sunblock/sunscreen

Do you subscribe to any subscription boxes? If so, which one(s)?

Anything from recent boxes you covet?

or

AND would you prefer to:

or

Miscellaneous questions:

• What are your feelings on prepared/unsealed samples?
  • What ONE PRODUCT (not brand or color in particular, just product) do you use more than any other? (What runs out the quickest in your make-up drawer?)
  • You just won a $50 giftcard to Birchbox/Target/or insert your favorite beauty store here....What's the first thing you want to buy???
  • If you were to get something in your package that wasn't makeup or a beauty product, what would you be over the moon to see?
  • Is there an item (makeup, tool, skincare) you feel is missing from your routine, if so what?  Alternatively, is there a tool that you are looking to add to your collection?
  • What is that one item you have been wanting but just haven't bought so far?
  • How would you describe your style?
  • What ONE COLOUR (not brand or product in particular) do you use more than any other? (What runs out the quickest?)
  • It's summertime. It's sunny. It's 90 degrees. You can go anywhere you want in your basic generic city. Where would you go?

So.  What questions am I clearly missing?  I know there are a ton of them, but I have to go crash out for the night even though it's not even 9pm on a Friday night, so I can't go dig through last year's discussion thread any more this evening.  Must go sleep.
Wow, that is really impressive!  Good job!

Okay, I've pulled some King & I (getting to know you/getting to knoooow alllll about yooou) questions from another forum and added a few things.  Clearly, this is a *lot* of questions (brainstorming is all about listing everything you can think of and paring things down later, after all) and could use some editing unless people actually want all of this information to better inform their gift-selection decisions.  Things to add?  Remove?  Alter?

Basic background information:

• Color preferences
  • Apartment color scheme
  • Just can't get enough
  • Favorite brands
  • Favorite scents/notes
  • Lush status (no experience, old hand, allergic to all things from there, etc.)?
  • Things/colors to avoid
  • Allergies

Love/hate:

• Foils
  • Deluxe samples
  • Hair oil
  • Facial oil
  • Fragrance
  • Sunblock/sunscreen

Miscellaneous:

• Solve for x:  "I am wearing too much x, and I DO NOT CARE!"
  • What are your feelings on prepared-by-your-sender/unsealed samples?
  • What product(s) can you absolutely not use at all for reasons other than allergies listed in the background section (for example, liquid eyeliner)?
  • Is there an item (makeup product, tool, skincare product) you feel is missing from your routine, if so what?
  • Is there a tool that you are looking to add (not necessarily missing, but you would still like it) to your collection?
  • What is that one item/product you have been wanting but just haven't bought so far?
  • How would you describe your style (makeup, clothing, home)?
  • Fandoms (or if you're not a fannish person, favorite tv shows/books/movies)?
  • Do you subscribe to any subscription boxes? If so, which one(s)? Anything from recent boxes you covet?
  • Would you be open to virtual gifts (ecards, gift certificates, ebooks, etc.)?
  • I'm crafty (lotion, brush holders, scarves, pot holders, tote bags, etc.)! Would you like something I have made?
  • Describe three things decorating your bed room/living space.
  • Do you have any crafty hobbies where you might be able to use little related goodies? (beads, yarn, etc.)
  • Collections?
  • Candles! Yea? Nay? Tarts?
  • Any small things you could use?
  • Do any of you also have a fondness for vintage bits and bobs?
  • Do you have an eReader? Anything in particular that you're looking for? (Feel free to refer to a wishlist here!)
  • Other than fragrance oils/perfumes what is your number one (or a tie between 2-3) favorite type of toiletry or scenty item?
  • Pirates or ninjas?
  • Zombies – love, hate, obsessed, don't care, think they're coming for us any day now, other immediate/passionate thoughts?
  • Disney! Favorite movie? Hero? Villain?
  • Do you want to see things in your box for your significant other/spouse/kids/fish/whatever? Or do you want to keep it allll about you?
  • Beverage preferences?  For example, coffee, tea, iced tea, herbal tisanes, flavoring to add to water, etc.?
  • Food issues/dietary restrictions/sensitivies/etc.?
  • Do you have a general swap-related help post somewhere?
  • Do you have Etsy/Amazon/etc. wishlists linked somewhere?
  • Do you have a Tumblr/Pinterest you'd share with everyone (these can be really informative as to style?)
  • Favorite candles, companies and/or candle scents?
  • Favorite kinds of tea (flavors, companies)?
  • Do you like knitted items? If so, any fiber sensitivities/allergies? What kinds of items would you like?
  • Puzzle books!  Yes/no?  Words or numbers?
  • Anything you do NOT want?
  • What are some of your favorite summertime symbols?
  • Bulk-Foods Section Goodies: Yea or Nay? Let's assume they're all individually packaged, and clearly labeled with what they are.
  • Would a mixed CD be something you would enjoy? If so, who are some favorite artists, what style of music do you enjoy, and/or would you prefer a theme or general mix?
  • Do you like incense?
  • Kitchen things. Yes/no? Specific kinds of things (potholders, beverage tumblers, spatulas, snack bowls, etc.)? Kitchen color scheme?

or

AND would you prefer to:

or

Just to be clear:  This thread is not intended to be the place where these questions are answered.  This is to figure out what questions to even ask in the first place!

I say that list is awesome and inclusive. I would have no problem buying for anyone with those questions answered.

Just to be clear:  This thread is not intended to be the place where these questions are answered.  This is to figure out what questions to even ask in the first place!
Oops, I'll delete when I get to a computer. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I say that list is awesome and inclusive. I would have no problem buying for anyone with those questions answered.
Same! Although there's just so much there that it's intimidating to look at 0.0

First, great first draft!!! If I were to include anything, it would be something pertaining to allergies and dietary restrictions. Who here hangs out on the Birchbox threads only to hear several concerns each month about the food and candy extras that get sent out so frequently? For instance I am diabetic and would want to either eliminate the possibility of receiving carbs and sweets, or restrict them to something I can work into my nutritional planning. Or, for that matter, cosmetic allergies--I seem to remember reading the recent Pop Beauty Debacle thread and seeing a picture of a child with a humongous break-out on his cheek; turns out he has an allergy to mangoes, which was an ingredient in the offending lip gloss which ended up transferred via a big sister's kiss. it might be a good idea to cover such bases...just my two denarii!

First, great first draft!!! If I were to include anything, it would be something pertaining to allergies and dietary restrictions. Who here hangs out on the Birchbox threads only to hear several concerns each month about the food and candy extras that get sent out so frequently? For instance I am diabetic and would want to either eliminate the possibility of receiving carbs and sweets, or restrict them to something I can work into my nutritional planning. Or, for that matter, cosmetic allergies--I seem to remember reading the recent Pop Beauty Debacle thread and seeing a picture of a child with a humongous break-out on his cheek; turns out he has an allergy to mangoes, which was an ingredient in the offending lip gloss which ended up transferred via a big sister's kiss. it might be a good idea to cover such bases...just my two denarii!
Allergies are listed in the basic background section, but good point about dietary restrictions! I'll edit that in tonight when I get back to my computer.

Your list looks amazing! Just reading the questions puts me in stalking mode! I want my Santee NOW! I love reading all about them & then plotting what to buy! You've done a fab job! Thanks for putting that together!

The list looks great.  I love that you have a question about food favorites and crafted items.  

This may sound crazy, but can we also suggest questions to be REMOVED from the list?  We are all experience Secret Santa people, but that quiz is like WHOA.  And I just don't want people getting intimidated or feel like they have to tell their life stories, haha.  

Seriously comprehensive list though!  AMAZING job, @meaganola !

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This may sound crazy, but can we also suggest questions to be REMOVED from the list?  We are all experience Secret Santa people, but that quiz is like WHOA.  And I just don't want people getting intimidated or feel like they have to tell their life stories, haha.  

Seriously comprehensive list though!  AMAZING job, @meaganola !
Yes, please, help edit!  In fact, that's one of the things I asked for help on because I know it's an intimidating and exhausting list of questions:  What should be taken out?  I basically grabbed three or four different surveys from multiple boards/forums, took out duplicate questions, edited for MUT relevance (some of these were from a forum dedicated to perfumes from one specific brand, so I took stuff relevant to only that forum/brand out), and put them all up here.  I was posting under the influence of the aftermath of two migraines, and those do really weird things to me, and editing anything -- lists, stories, my shopping cart** -- into a reasonable form/size.

** I have made more than one trip to IKEA and Target while experiencing migraines, and I come home with the weirdest crap *ever*.  It's worse than hitting the junk food aisle while stoned.  Lenticular star-shaped placemats and coasters?  What the *hell* am I going to do with those since I don't have a dining room/coffee table?  At least with junk food, you can eat it or take it to work for coworkers to eat and make it go away that way.  With six sets of icicle lights when you live in an apartment with kitties who like to chew on cords, all you can do is put them into storage until you can find someone willing to take them off your hands.  Anyone want some unused icicle lights still in their boxes?

Oh it's an amazing list of questions, I actually hate to take any out because they're so awesome!  The one edit I'm suggesting right now is to remove the Harry Potter question and let people address it under general fandoms (if they're so inclined).

I'll go through the rest after my spring-break-happy kiddos go to bed tonight and see what else I think we (maybe) can live without.

I hope your migraine gets better soon!  I don't get them, but hubby does, and they just look like they feel... awful.  Hugs!

How about Home/Apartment color scheme or Home color scheme instead of just Apartment color scheme?  I also might be blind, but what about a question about pets?  It also might make it easier to pair people up if they have allergies--i.e. if they have a serious dog allergy, maybe their Midsummer gifter should not have dogs?  It is easy to tell by my username, but that is not always the case.

I always ask for allergies in the sign-up emails. That way only the person's Fairy Godmother (the summer term for Secret Santa) knows the allergy, because technically that's medical info. Because its a public forum, I don't want anyone to feel like they're forced to announce their allergies. Totally agree on combining the decor question!

Latest posts

Back