Traveling with makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a few short weeks my fiance and I are heading to Mexico for vacation 
trink4.gif
. I was wondering how I should pack my makeup palettes. I'm so worried they are going to get damaged by the airport crew from manhandling luggage. 

Anyone have any tips?'

Thanks! 

When I travel by plane I always bring things like makeup and medicine in a carry-on, and I pack as few items as I can manage. You should be able to get away with a large purse with a makeup bag in it if carry-ons cost extra.

When I travel I limit myself to taking 1 (or 2, if I'll be gone more than 2 weeks) medium sized makeup bags that I keep in my carry on luggage. I try to take everything important - chargers, camera/laptop, basic toiletries, 1-2 changes of clothes - in my carry on since there's a much smaller risk of damage and almost zero risk of losing it.

I'll usually take 2 palettes (UD Naked 1 and UD Black Palette), 1 BB cream, 1 concealer, 1 setting powder, 1 mascara, 2-3 eyeliners, and a handful (ok, maybe 2 handfuls) of lippies.

Thank you for the advice, girls! I'm a new makeup addict, within the last year, so any and all tips are welcome, appreciated, and helpful. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I always put my makeup in my carry-on bag. That way I don't have to worry about it getting tossed around carelessly. Since my makeup liquids take up most of my TSA-allowed quart size bag, all of my toiletries go in my checked bag. Depotting larger items into smaller containers also really helps. I do this frequently with foundation and moisturizer. The Container Store sells these clear pill containers that screw together in a stack of six, and those are my favorite to use for depotting. Gives me the option to bring a couple different foundations without taking up so much space.

Hey there. I suggest you pack your makeup palettes in a clear makeup/toiletry bag that is either clear or have some padding to it. The best way to keep them safe is to pack it in your carry on. I suggest you get the Z palette because you can de-pot your eyeshadows, bronzers and blushes and carry them into one palette rather than bringing them individually. I have a blog post on what makeup I like to travel with. Stick to basics and multi-purpose products they will come in handy! 

Ellie xo. 

Last edited by a moderator:
 Carry on the bare minimum you need. BB cream w/SPF 15 or more (there's your foundation, sunscreen and moisturizer in 1 product) 1 or 2 lipsticks which can double as a cream blush Small shadow palette. Makeup brushes. Cleanser or wipes. That's all you really need :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Enjoy your trip!

The times I've been to Mexico with my husband to visit his family it's been so hot that makeup just melts off, so I don't take much.  We usually go in April, so it's going to be much warmer when you go.

What you do take with you should go in a carry-on, especially if it's pricey.  I know several people who've had things disappear from their checked bags.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would only take one small palette, believe me but probably u won't have much time for dressing up specially if u are going to the beach ...

Spf,take a nice multi from Nars, perfume, etc.

When I travel by plane I always bring things like makeup and medicine in a carry-on, and I pack as few items as I can manage. You should be able to get away with a large purse with a makeup bag in it if carry-ons cost extra.
I do the same thing.  I haven't checked a bag in years.  

I didn't really wear any makeup during the day because it was so hot but I did at night when we went out and to nice dinners so if you are bringing makeup palettes I would just put it in your carryon or in your purse if it's big enough.  I've been doing that for years with no issues (these are all regular palettes where the eyeshadows are glued in, not magnetized like in a z-palette or a mac palette)

Latest posts

Back