How do you know which colours suit you, rather than the colours you simply like?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it's really hard to know. It takes paying attention to a lot of things.

Such as:

1. What colors you are wearing when people complement you on your looks, whether it be, "you look great today, you look so refreshed, whatever! (can be clothes or makeup).

2. Knowing your skin's undertone, be it neutral, cool, or warm. I think there are a few good ways to test this out, but the best way I found was going to a jewelry store and asking the salesperson which metal looked best on me. I tried on yellow gold, silver, and rosegold pieces. She thought silver suited me best, because my skin's undertone is cool. Also, my overtone is pinky, so the rosegold was too warm for me, as was the yellow, which  made me look a bit sallow, I suppose? But also, get more than one opinion, and trust your judgement too.

For instance, the past two times I got makeovers the people tried to put me in peachy warm colors, but I know that just doesn't work for me. I'm a cooler color person,and berry works way better for me than peach.

3. Tonal seasons! I think this may be a bit weird, but they're kind of on to something. You know how some people say, 'I'm a spring, I can't wear dark blue!' or something along those lines? Well, it seems really complicated, but here's a site that I like that seems to make it easier: http://www.rosalindofarden.com/2011/05/determining-skin-tone-and-color-palettes/

Also, this website helps: http://into-mind.com/2013/09/24/colour-analysis-part-i-finding-your-type/

And if all else fails, just wear what you like, and looking good be darned! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Take photos of yourself rather than just relying on your mirror. I do that when testing out pretty much any new product. There's something about a photo that's a more objective view of yourself.

I would suggest looking at photos of celebrities who have similar coloring to you (similar hair, eye, and skin color) and seeing what looks good on them/what they wear. I'm sure they have lots of people dress them so if you can find a celebrity that has similar attributes to you, then you can follow their lead.

I would suggest looking at photos of celebrities who have similar coloring to you (similar hair, eye, and skin color) and seeing what looks good on them/what they wear. I'm sure they have lots of people dress them so if you can find a celebrity that has similar attributes to you, then you can follow their lead.
It can be difficult to actually tell what other people look like from photo's though given all the variables (lighting, clothing, in professional photos a reflector could cast a warmer or cooler tone on someone, photoshop, makeup, how much sleep someone got the night before (my skin gets grey-ish/yellow if I'm not sleeping enough), their diet, etc.,). Photo's change a lot, and one thing can change an entire picture, so I wouldn't use photos of celebrities. 

I think trial and error are the best ways to learn, in my opinion. The jewelry tip is also a really good one. I also have noticed people over time are usually drawn to, and like, what they've found looks good on them. Consciously or subconsciously their intuition over time develops and gets very good at picking things out almost thoughtlessly. 

When it comes to colors that do or don't look good on me, here's the only things I know for certain:

1. White does not look good on me. My teeth are not white an--they never have been--and it's most noticeable if I wear a white shirt. Also, my skin has very pronounced yellow undertones.

2. Pale pink with blue undertones (shirt, lipstick, hat, whatever) makes me look pale and sick. It's great if I want that look, not so great if I don't want to look half-dead.

3. I don't like yellow clothes. At all.

4. I like bright colors, but I also like burgundy, dark purple, dark green, and navy blue. I wear pretty much whatever is work-appropriate and fits.

5. How something fits is just as important as what color it is.

That is all.

Back