What makeup product do you REFUSE to get on-board with?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You know the one - it's the makeup product that every brand makes, from Wet 'n' Wild to Dior, and all the beauty mags talk about, and everyone has an opinion on - but you're like NO WAY. Not for me!

For me, that's foundation primer. I want my foundation to be sinking into my skin, thank you very much, not floating around on a sea of silicone.

What's yours?

I've tried a few (cheap) ones but BB cream. I like a lot of covereage, I just can't be happy with it! I also don't like eye shadow sticks. There is one on the end of my ELF eyeliner and I never use it, It just feels weird!

Liquid liner and mascara. My mom was so frustrated by my refusal to wear mascara that she would give me a tube of Lancôme in my Christmas stocking every year under the theory that I would wear it if I had it. I would end up giving it back to her a month or two later unopened, also every year. And bronzer! I do not want my skin to look "sun-kissed."

I have started using blush over the past year, though. That was on my no-way-no-how list for well over two decades. My cheeks were always Irish-milkmaid rosy, but I started using bb cream that evens my skintone to the same pale pastyness about a year and a half ago (and until then, I wouldn't use any sort of foundation, either). I was still so rosy under that until about a year ago that I didn't bother with blush. Now I find myself using it even on non-bb cream days just to get the pinkness I have always had until now. I was a little concerned about my change in color until I read an article about changes in skin and hair once you start getting into your forties, and now I know that this is just what happens at this age.

Self tanner. I've used it in the past & I end up looking blotchy & orange. Also I dislike foundation primer. I've gotten samples of different brands to try to like it. Alas, I don't dig it. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Selena

BB/CC/DD/whatever creams. I just don't get them. I've never really found one that matches my skin well, and I'd much rather just use foundation!

another vote for BB/CC/DD creams.  Nope.  Self tanner, false eyelashes (I don't care if Once Upon a Time actresses wear them - I laugh at that - the sheriff running around with heels and falsies...lol)

Self tanner for me as well, doesn't work with my pale pinkish skin. BUT Hoola by Benefit is a great hint of bronze for pale girls.

Also BB creams. I've tried on numerous occasions, because I like the idea of having foundation and SPF in one product, but I haven't found one who's formula I actually like.

I feel like falsies wouldn't work for me either because I wear glasses, but I want to give them a trial run before my wedding to see if I would like to have them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those eyeshadow crayon/sticks or whatever... I mean I LOVE lipstick/balm crayons, but for eyeshadow it just seems odd. I like my powder and brushes.
I dislike them worn as actual shadow, but some of them make good bases under my powder shadows!

For me, it's tanners and bronzers.

False eyelashes & using a different concealer for every part of my face. I've always had 1 concealer to cover dark circles, acne etc and it works fine for me.

Self Tanner. I'm pale with pink undertones, so any gold/bronze color on me looks crazy!

Oh! And any Asian product with snails. Mask, face creams, ANYTHING. No. Just no. With a side of Hell No.
Same problem with the self tanner. I just avoid it and put bronzer on my legs/arms if I'm wearing a sundress or something. Have yet to find a self tanner that doesn't turn me orange.

Bronzer and false lashes. Just no. Self tanner for the most part but I do like stuff like Pacifica's "tanning" lotion. (it adds juuust enough color that my legs don't look like they glow in the dark.)

There are a lot of other products that I don't currently use, but never saying never on those.

I have not mastered contouring, either. I have tried with so many different shades, I just end up looking like I forgot my sunscreen on parts of my face. 

1. Foundation primer. I shudder at imagining the silicone clogging my pores. The Tarte one I tried sometimes rubbed off in little pieces. Pass.

2. Color correcting products in yellow/green/lavender always seem to look stranger than just opting for a good concealer that matches your skin closely.

3. BB creams. I'd rather continue to wear a strong SPF, eye cream, and anti aging moisturizer under a full coverage foundation than use one product that claims to do everything but doesn't.

4. Expensive brow products. You can use an old gel liner, an eyeshadow, even a cream shadow like a Color Tattoo works. When it comes to brows I think having a good angled brush to do the job is more important than the product of choice. You can literally use almost any cream or powder product that resembles your hair color and get a decent look. 

5. False eyelashes. The hate how the beauty community treats false eyelashes like they're very commonplace, normal things to wear. Let's be real here: gluing fake hairs to your eyelid is more akin to putting on a fake beard for a play than rubbing some color into your face!). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think most women find false eyelashes impractical for anything but special events where you get dressed up (wedding, dinner dates, etc). Yet when you watch YT videos or read blogs, they would have you think that most women wear strip lashes on a semi-regular basis, in the daytime, and are comfortable with the knowledge that when speaking to someone the little corner could peel up and make them look like a mad woman! End rant.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Foundation primer. I shudder at imagining the silicone clogging my pores. The Tarte one I tried sometimes rubbed off in little pieces. Pass.

2. Color correcting products in yellow/green/lavender always seem to look stranger than just opting for a good concealer that matches your skin closely.

3. BB creams. I'd rather continue to wear a strong SPF, eye cream, and anti aging moisturizer under a full coverage foundation than use one product that claims to do everything but doesn't.

4. Expensive brow products. You can use an old gel liner, an eyeshadow, even a cream shadow like a Color Tattoo works. When it comes to brows I think having a good angled brush to do the job is more important than the product of choice. You can literally use almost any cream or powder product that resembles your hair color and get a decent look. 
I haven't really been able to get into face primers, either. I haven't noticed that they do anything for my makeup's appearance or wear, and like you, I kind of cringe at the idea of filling up my pores with them for nothing. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

oh yes, face primers...no way!!  My pores don't need to be spackled ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   Now, eyeshadow primer - big yes!!  I wear a lot of mineral loose eyeshadows, so it is a must.

I also cannot get into those color correcting wheels....I tried them once, and I spent so much time blending them in, I honestly rethought my position about my skin and how it really isn't that bad.

heck, most people's skin are fine.  Yes, I have some spots from sun damage, acne - yes, I have some redness here and there - but I have found that a good tinted moisturizer works fine in covering all that up.  If I need more coverage, I have a little concealer pot from MAC for those troublesome spots.

I have not mastered contouring, either. I have tried with so many different shades, I just end up looking like I forgot my sunscreen on parts of my face. 
You just made me choke on my yogurt. LOL. You'll get it down, use a highlighter that's a shade or two lighter than your skin and a shade or two darker for the contouring. Practice makes perfect :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back