Customs:Has it gotten you

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was curious how many, if any of you, have gotten hit by customs. If you have gotten customs, which country were you from. I have 3 in the mail and want to order more, but am tentative simply because I don't want to rack up the customs charges.

hi there i am in the uk, as of yet the only subscription box world wide  i have been caught on was last year from yes style for there korean box, but i didn't mind as i get loads of international boxes, i have friends and family in customs and tell them if new subscriptions are coming in to the country e.g. - memebox for instance and they list it.

but no  generally not. 

some times i get hit on a normal shop fortune cookie order but its been months thats why i belong to the group order group for that as we do 4 orders a year each of $280. each and we split postage and customs between us. ids there anything or say a box  you was looking at getting.

In Canada, using standard shipping for Memebox, no fees. I've had to sign for two out of three boxes, though I think the one was just because that mail carrier in particular didn't want to just leave it on my doorstep like the other two (so I had to run to the post office).

I haven't gotten any charges but my boxes are being held captive by customs at the moment in Sydney. That really suck because it'll be at least a week until I receive them after they're released because I live on the other side of the country. Oh I'm in Australia.

Have  not been dinged any custom charges here in Canada. Yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, I'm in Canada and I was wondering. Most international orders don't get held up for me, but I've had bad luck with two companies and I was hoping this was not going to be one of them seeing as I have four boxes in the mail.

Cool, I'm in Canada and I was wondering. Most international orders don't get held up for me, but I've had bad luck with two companies and I was hoping this was not going to be one of them seeing as I have four boxes in the mail.
All the boxes, including express shipping boxes, I haven't got charged custom's. Memebox puts "gift" or "sample" with a 10$ value on it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and its Canada post that delivers. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't think Memebox uses DHL for Canada anymore.

I'm in Europe and got caught in customs finally. Maybe they didn't label it well...and the box was heavy (the memebox oil and trouble one). Surprised my other boxes got through tho (including the hair and body/ box 9 which was loaded with hair stuff). Whaat...  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm in Europe and got caught in customs finally. Maybe they didn't label it well...and the box was heavy (the memebox oil and trouble one). Surprised my other boxes got through tho (including the hair and body/ box 9 which was loaded with hair stuff). Whaat...  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Go figure :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I know how you feel veritazy! I'm in canada and yesterday is the first day that I got custom fee for my scent boxes! It was so expensive too, $22; almost the same price as the box itself. I still have 15 coming so now I'm concerned. I'll hold off buying from memebox until I know this is just a one time thing... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> There goes my memebox addiction, haha!

alas, memebox covered this in their FAQ
Please note: Deliveries may be subject to additional fees such as import taxes or customs duties. Memebox can not determine and is not responsible for any additional charges apart from such additional fees. It is highly recommended to contact local customs offices to request estimates of customs duties according to the delivery to your determined country.

thankfully, the US doesn't get those custom fees....

I should say - yet.  I think it is  based on the value of the item and how it is shipped (for the US)

For those in the states, I found this information on another blog...

The buyer is responsible for paying customs duties, if any.
In general, packages with a value of less than US$200 will not require any duty charges.
If multiple packages from the same location are received in the same day, the value will be summed and duties are owed if the value is over US$200.
Imported package under US$2000 entering the country through International Mail enter as Informal Entry and all paperwork and the USPS and Customs Service can handle processing.
Sending Goods to the United States
Shipping through International Mail Services (like La Poste) and then through U.S. mail, including parcel post, is a cost-efficient way to send packages to the United States. The Postal Service sends all foreign mail shipments to Customs for examination. Customs then returns packages that don't require duty to the Postal Service, which sends them to a local post office for delivery. The local post office delivers them without charging any additional postage, handling costs, or other fees.

I should say - yet.  I think it is  based on the value of the item and how it is shipped (for the US)

For those in the states, I found this information on another blog...

The buyer is responsible for paying customs duties, if any.

In general, packages with a value of less than US$200 will not require any duty charges.

If multiple packages from the same location are received in the same day, the value will be summed and duties are owed if the value is over US$200.

Imported package under US$2000 entering the country through International Mail enter as Informal Entry and all paperwork and the USPS and Customs Service can handle processing.

Sending Goods to the United States

Shipping through International Mail Services (like La Poste) and then through U.S. mail, including parcel post, is a cost-efficient way to send packages to the United States. The Postal Service sends all foreign mail shipments to Customs for examination. Customs then returns packages that don't require duty to the Postal Service, which sends them to a local post office for delivery. The local post office delivers them without charging any additional postage, handling costs, or other fees.
That looks a lot better than our canada one: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1382717

2.2.2 Mail items valued at less than $20CDN The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less. However, this general rule does not apply to certain products including intoxicating beverages, cigars, cigarettes, manufactured tobacco, and publications where the supplier is required to register under the Excise Tax Act. Also, this may not be combined with other exemptions.

The CBSA does not consider items to be of low value in cases where a single transaction is split into smaller shipments to keep the value below $20CDN.

2.2.3 Gifts Gifts from friends and relatives, valued at $60CDN or less, are duty and tax exempt. In cases where the gift is valued at more than $60CDN, the CBSA will assess duties and taxes on the excess amount. The gift must be sent to the recipient personally and include a card or other notice indicating that it is a gift. Items that do not qualify as gifts include:

• tobacco
  • intoxicating beverages
  • advertising material
  • items sent by a business to a consumer in Canada and vice versa.

Our limit seems to be $20 - $60... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've placed more international orders than I can count. However, I have never had customs charges because most of my purchases are small amounts (usually under $50). But I have received packages that have been marked as "gift" with a lower value than what I paid. This is illegal. However, the responsibility falls on the shipper and if they are caught, they will have to deal with mail fraud charges and whatnot themselves.

Me again. So I got my boxes today and apparently the custom officers opened my box and reassessed it's value, stating that it was $53 CDN instead of $17.99 US and hence I had to pay $22 in return. But after seeing my scentboxes, I decided that it was worth paying for the fee. Still hope I don't have to pay for my subsequent boxes though... We shall see! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Me again. So I got my boxes today and apparently the custom officers opened my box and reassessed it's value, stating that it was $53 CDN instead of $17.99 US and hence I had to pay $22 in return. But after seeing my scentboxes, I decided that it was worth paying for the fee. Still hope I don't have to pay for my subsequent boxes though... We shall see! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hate they make you pay so much for it! I sent a package to Canada that cost ~$40 once and customs charged an extra $20 for it to be picked up. They're such a pain up there! I hope your next boxes can slip past them.

:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hate they make you pay so much for it! I sent a package to Canada that cost ~$40 once and customs charged an extra $20 for it to be picked up. They're such a pain up there! I hope your next boxes can slip past them.
Thanks Avarier. I hope so too.

Latest posts

Back