Ladies Help Me Out Please

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm building my girlfriend a vanity for her birthday. I also want to get her all new make up, eyelash bender things, hair straightener, and hot rollers. These are all things that I've heard her say she wanted, or "needed" lol. Anyways, I've heard her talk about Bare Mineral makeup I think? What should I buy her? Where can i get a real nice straightener? Is there a difference in the rollers? I'm so lost with all of this, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance ladies!

By building, do you mean "creating from scratch"?  If so, stop right now.  I decided late last year that I wanted a shelf for my nail polish collection, drafted a very rough idea of what I wanted, and mentioned it to my husband.  He's an excellent carpenter and I've had some training in drafting, but I kept changing my mind throughout the process and that made things a challenge.  And I'm just talking about a shelf here, but I had "requirements" that weren't obvious.

If you are the woodworker that will be creating it, don't cut anything until you talk to her.  Every woman is different and if I had the opportunity to have a custom built vanity, I'd want to give my input.

As far as actual beauty products go, give the woman gift cards.  We have no idea what she has or what she wants, but I guarantee she has her eye on things and money to buy those things will be what's she's wanting.  My favorite gift from my husband has always been a gift card or cash money.   

@@Youkeepthislove - very sweet of you - but its not that straightforward....

makeup requires you to know the brand, skin type, coloring, style of what she is looking for!  Hair styling equipment also requires you to know what sort of this she wants - you mention hot rollers and straightners  and I would note that depending on hair type and condition that different products to a good job.

If you shop for her - I would definately make sure that everything is exchangeable as women can be really hard to please on make up and hair stuff.  

A safe bet would be a ulta gift certificate...or if you are sure of the brands she wants let us know and we can try and tell you where you might be able to get good deals on this stuff!  Do you know where she usually shops?

If you really want to surprise her - I'd enlist the help of a good female friend/sister/mother of hers to find out where she shops and try heading to those places with a photo of her!  

Good luck

Build the vanity, but I think you should leave the makeup purchasing to her.

My DH made me a gorgeous vanity for Christmas. It was one of the best presents I've ever gotten!

I think like PP said you could put a gift certificate to Sephora or Ulta inside. You are very sweet to do this for her. 

I agree with the above in terms of gift certificates and in getting her feedback on what she wants for a custom vanity.

For custom vanity ideas, check out MUFE's display setup at Sephora as a start. MUFE also sells heavy duty roadie cases that turn into a huge vanity / make-up station. They start at $2000. And go up from there. But that's me... Again, your gf's input would be a good thing... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're worried that giving her a gift card with the vanity would feel "impersonal" (i always worry about this with gift cards), then go shopping with her! I know my fiance is so bad at buying "girly" things (purses, makeup, etc.). But I love it when he goes with me and tells me what he thinks of everything. That way you can still be involved in the process, and even learn a little bit about what she likes!

I agree with the others that surprising her with a trip to shop for the items would be the best. We can be really picky! I know I would be so thrilled if my SO were to do this-- this is very sweet of you! 

Yup, I think this is the best option, just let her spend some money on cosmetics and she should be pleased.

Surprises are of course interesting but maybe not if it is going about cosmetics  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm building my girlfriend a vanity for her birthday. I also want to get her all new make up, eyelash bender things, hair straightener, and hot rollers. These are all things that I've heard her say she wanted, or "needed" lol. Anyways, I've heard her talk about Bare Mineral makeup I think? What should I buy her? Where can i get a real nice straightener? Is there a difference in the rollers? I'm so lost with all of this, so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance ladies!
SEPHORA.COM

Enjoy ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just booked a jacuzzi suite in the city that is right next to a huge shopping center, also with nice restaurants, bars, etc. All connected like hotels in Vegas, just incase it is raining. There is a bareMinerals, Bath & Body Works, Coach, MAC Cosmetics, Nordstroms, Victorias Secret and over 50 other stores. Those are just the ones I recognized. Does that sound like a better plan? Thanks

I just booked a jacuzzi suite in the city that is right next to a huge shopping center, also with nice restaurants, bars, etc. All connected like hotels in Vegas, just incase it is raining. There is a bareMinerals, Bath & Body Works, Coach, MAC Cosmetics, Nordstroms, Victorias Secret and over 50 other stores. Those are just the ones I recognized. Does that sound like a better plan? Thanks
Those are all great stores! Don't worry. Nordstrom carries a variety of brands as does Sephora.

I hope you haven't ditched the plan to make her a vanity though! My fiance has bought me a lot of nice things but my favorite things from him are the ones he made.

One more thing to keep in mind that is a big reason to go for the line-of-credit plan:  The actual shopping process is a *huge* part of enjoying makeup!  I can't count how many times I stress-browse at Sephora during my lunch hour.  I don't necessarily buy a thing, but just swatching things will make me happy.  You have *no clue* how happy this plan would make your typical makeup fan.  Turning us loose on many, many different lines of makeup?  It's our Disneyland.  And adding a hotel stay, which means ROOM AND MAID SERVICE (even if you don't order food to eat in the room, someone else will make the bed and clean the bathroom!)?  That just makes it even better.  And if she has a habit of picking up a little something after a hard day/week, chances are high that you will eventually hear her say that she wants something, buy it for her, and then find out that she just got it yesterday. 

And then there's the part where I'll dredge up an analogy.  It sounds like you were planning on personally making this, which means you are familiar with carpentry and woodworking.  One of my grandfathers was a carpenter, and the other one did woodwork in his spare time, as does my dad (and he inherited my mom's dad's carpentry tools.  *Multiple* lathes, bandsaws, jigsaws, and I don't even *know* what else), so I immediately thought about the fun times we've had trying to figure out what to buy them for gift-giving occasions.  Imagine your girlfriend deciding that, hey, my boyfriend has been wanting a lathe, drill, and new screwdriver set!  I'll just go buy one for him without checking to see exactly what he wants!  Made you cringe, right?  Makeup and brushes are our carpentry and woodworking equipment.  This plan will land you in the Boyfriend Hall of Fame, and her girlfriends' boyfriends will probably all hate you for making them look bad.  This is exactly what you want.  Good call!

One more thing to keep in mind that is a big reason to go for the line-of-credit plan:  The actual shopping process is a *huge* part of enjoying makeup!  I can't count how many times I stress-browse at Sephora during my lunch hour.  I don't necessarily buy a thing, but just swatching things will make me happy.  You have *no clue* how happy this plan would make your typical makeup fan.  Turning us loose on many, many different lines of makeup?  It's our Disneyland.  And adding a hotel stay, which means ROOM AND MAID SERVICE (even if you don't order food to eat in the room, someone else will make the bed and clean the bathroom!)?  That just makes it even better.  And if she has a habit of picking up a little something after a hard day/week, chances are high that you will eventually hear her say that she wants something, buy it for her, and then find out that she just got it yesterday. 

And then there's the part where I'll dredge up an analogy.  It sounds like you were planning on personally making this, which means you are familiar with carpentry and woodworking.  One of my grandfathers was a carpenter, and the other one did woodwork in his spare time, as does my dad (and he inherited my mom's dad's carpentry tools.  *Multiple* lathes, bandsaws, jigsaws, and I don't even *know* what else), so I immediately thought about the fun times we've had trying to figure out what to buy them for gift-giving occasions.  Imagine your girlfriend deciding that, hey, my boyfriend has been wanting a lathe, drill, and new screwdriver set!  I'll just go buy one for him without checking to see exactly what he wants!  Made you cringe, right?  Makeup and brushes are our carpentry and woodworking equipment.  This plan will land you in the Boyfriend Hall of Fame, and her girlfriends' boyfriends will probably all hate you for making them look bad.  This is exactly what you want.  Good call!
Yea, I get it and that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reply! You all are very helpful.

This is such a sweet thing to do. I am in agreement with the other posters though. Makeup is such a personal thing and I can never imagine my boyfriend being able to choose the right products for me. He wouldn't know where to start. Browny points to you for remembering the brands she has mentioned! Gift cards are a great idea and she will love to go off and spend the day shopping for makeup loaded up with gift cards.

Eyelash bender - Cute :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If she doesn't like the vanity I''ll take it!

What should I plan on spending? She's the type of girl that won't want to buy anything on my tab because it's expensive, but I won't let her this time.

Back