zadidoll

Enablers...and anyone who wants to share their shopping deals! (part 2)

Found Naked 4 on that Ulta dupe site as well. Naked 5 is on eBay. I hope she got them all on eBay and reported them as fakes to get her money back, yikes.

I stayed up hoping that norther's hunch about the UK sale starting @ 4am est. was correct. I think it was but the site's been a mess all day long. I finally got an order in... around 1 pm! I'm exhausted! I paid through PayPal so I got a receipt from them but it took almost 3 hours to get confirmation from Lush UK. As bad as it was with the multiple error messages and countless refreshes I'm still not convinced this order won't be without future challenges.

Yikes I'm sorry you had to go through that! :( hopefully there are no further issues with your order and you get everything you ordered without much of a delay.

For anyone interested, American Giant has a few items on sale. If you don't live near the shop you rarely have access to sales. Only like 5 items and the men's stuff was blah to me but the women's t-shirts ($9.99) are basic, high quality, and US made- plus shipping is free with shop runner.

Yikes... I would highly advise against letting your daughter use any of these because fake palettes have zero quality control and could contain all types of unsafe materials or bacteria. I'm not exactly sure how you would communicate this to her stepmom without her taking offense or something though, considering she's refusing to tell you where she got them? :/ your daughter's health comes first though so if she is offended she's going to have to get over it. (Y'all can probably tell I'm not the most tactful person lol. I usually say things as I see them even if I know it'd get me in trouble - I like to say I've got perpetual foot-in-mouth syndrome).

I agree with this.  In one of the Ulta $1 sale double-tipped eye-liners, I think the black and purple combo, my eyes would itch and become irritated within 10 min, I'm assuming due to an unsuitable ingredient.  I tried it several times and finally decided against using it.

I agree with this. In one of the Ulta $1 sale double-tipped eye-liners, I think the black and purple combo, my eyes would itch and become irritated within 10 min, I'm assuming due to an unsuitable ingredient. I tried it several times and finally decided against using it.

And this is with a product that you should be able to trust because it's coming from a reputable seller. I can't even imagine how much worse a fake product would be. Of course everyone has different levels of sensitivity to various ingredients and I could be the 1 person out of 10000 that has a bad reaction to something perfectly safe for everyone else and that's a risk I'm willing to take, but I would never knowingly take the risk of using a fake product. Someone could've spit on it before packing it and no one would ever know. I remember when I first got into makeup, I bought naked 1 on amazon and almost a year later found out that there's actually a market for fake palettes. I was horrified and only calmed down when I checked my purchase history and saw that I'd bought my naked palette straight from UD's amazon and not some third party reseller.

YES, please don't use cosmetics purchased from disreputable sellers! A study done in the UK on counterfeit MAC cosmetics found highly dangerous ingredients such as lead and mercury - ingredients that could literally kill you.

PLEASE donn't let your daughter wear those cosmetics, and PLEASE tell her step-mom not to buy them for her again. Kindly or not, her life could be on the line.

• Like 3

Ohhh!   You all reminded me of something I meant to tell you last night!  Speaking of quality control and whatnot, remember the Tarte advent?  I opened the final 2 doors yesterday and one of them was the eye cream.  Yay eye cream, yeah?  I open the jar and not only is it all separated with little white specks on top, but there was also a hair on top.  A hair!  Whaaat?  a.) how did that get in there?!  b.) wth are the white spots?! 

I threw it out.  If it was something I was going to smear all over my feet I probably would've kept it, but this is going near my eyeballs.  Nope.

Edited by Kimb3rly
  • Like 4

I strongly recommend you do not use anything that might be a counterfeit. Even though it may look and feel fine, you have no idea what ingredients may be inside. Any counterfeiter can copy and paste the actual ingredients onto the fake, but that doesn't mean it's the same. Anything could be in those products: lead, rat poison, etc.

Back when I did beauty blogging, I purchased some fake Guerlain meteorites for the sole purpose of comparing. The fake smelled like paint thinner and I wouldn't be surprised if it had some in it.

• Like 4

@Kimb3rly  I just gagged. I mean... I'm with you on tossing it either way, but the white spots I might take a minute to try and figure out. The hair, though? Nope. Nope. Nope.

:sick:

I am tempted to grab some stuff from Julep, I ended up passing on Jan box, soooo I think I can grab something. There are some really good deals (if you are like me don't already own a bunch of their polishes)...I am going back and forth between the Glamoflauge and Soiree Shades sets (6 juleps for $12.99?!?!)

I really wish their promo codes would work on sale items!

I got the Nailed It set. Seemed like the best deal to me. 12 minis. And, I only have one of those colors (Eliana...and I love it enough to justify a backup)

I like your picks too. Hope you end up with something nice if you go ahead and pull the switch on ordering. :)

• Like 1

@@Ryan Chamberlain I ended up going with the Glamoflauge! The colors in it are going to be great additions to my nail polish collection, I don't think I have anything like any of them!

That nailed it set looks nice, especially Logan and Cameron! (my cousin's daughter is named Eliana, I babysat her for 3 years, so I am also drawn to that for the sentimental reasons LOL). Enjoy your pick!

Ohhh! You all reminded me of something I meant to tell you last night! Speaking of quality control and whatnot, remember the Tarte advent? I opened the final 2 doors yesterday and one of them was the eye cream. Yay eye cream, yeah? I open the jar and not only is it all separated with little white specks on top, but there was also a hair on top. A hair! Whaaat? a.) how did that get in there?! b.) wth are the white spots?!

I threw it out. If it was something I was going to smear all over my feet I probably would've kept it, but this is going near my eyeballs. Nope.

Ugh, that's DISGUSTING. Imagine how bad counterfeits must be if hair and white spots (quite possibly mold) manages to slip through QC at a big brands. It reminds me of how I wanted to buy some flour from the bulk bin at Whole Foods because I only needed a little bit and my first scoop came up with a short brown hair. Decided to get a different type of flour instead and a moth flew out at me the instant I opened the bin. Needless to say I went and bought a packaged 5lb bag instead.

• Like 2

YES, please don't use cosmetics purchased from disreputable sellers! A study done in the UK on counterfeit MAC cosmetics found highly dangerous ingredients such as lead and mercury - ingredients that could literally kill you.

Arsenic is a common ingredient as well!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2210884/The-toxic-trade-fake-make-How-counterfeit-cosmetics-containing-dangerous-levels-arsenic-sold-online-unsuspecting-bargain-hunters.html

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for your input! You know I didn't even think about the safety issue. I mean I obbiously knew they were fake and I was trying to get more info. You are right. Her step mom and I don't have the best relationship. I tried very nicely to talk other about it today. She isn't into makeup and she argued with me telling me they were real. Luckily they are at her dads house and she won't see him again for a week and a half so I have time to figure out my course of action....

• Like 1

I would explain to her that they are possibly not safe and that using things made illegally is a bad thing.  Hopefully she will on her own not want to use them. Or she could bring them to your house and you could take them from her. I am not sure how old she is.

• Like 1

I'm all for being gracious about gifts but there is conscientious gifting as well. My MIL (when we were still talking to her, MWHAAHAHA) bought Z a battery operated quad. We told her not to, we lived in a second story 1 bd apartment we had nowhere to put it. We told her before she bought it, after she bought it and on christmas that she should get her money back and she refused so it sat in the box like we said it would.

I'd tell her the reasons you're concerned, give her the option to send them back, request a refund or a CC dispute if she really bought them thinking they were real but make it clear that they will be going in the trash or whatever you decide to do with them.

• Like 7

Thanks everyone for your input! You know I didn't even think about the safety issue. I mean I obbiously knew they were fake and I was trying to get more info. You are right. Her step mom and I don't have the best relationship. I tried very nicely to talk other about it today. She isn't into makeup and she argued with me telling me they were real. Luckily they are at her dads house and she won't see him again for a week and a half so I have time to figure out my course of action....

It sounds like her stepmom will be butthurt no matter how you go about making sure your daughter won't use those palettes. I would just flat out tell her the palettes are fake and that your daughter will not be allowed to use them for her own safety, and that she can either accept that she made an honest mistake, dispute the charges with her credit card and get her money back, and then possibly get your help with finding some suitable replacements (e.g. Sleek makeup makes some palettes that are very affordable and I believe there's 1 palette that's a dupe of Naked 1), or she can keep living in her own world and insist they're real, but your daughter is still absolutely not going to be touching those palettes. If she goes down the latter route then I would go with @'s suggestion of explaining to your daughter that the palettes aren't safe and offer to get her some makeup that can be trusted.

• Like 3

Yeah. I'm gonna talk to my daughter and ask her to "trade" with me. I bought her a real naked three. I am just going to trade her my naked 1 and two and see if she will "trade" me the 4 and 5 for the electric pallet I told her she couldn't have because the colors were too crazy for a 14 year old. Off subject: I finally got my lush order complete. Great deals but sadly, shipping will end up being $46...

• Like 1

Totally a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know of any blackhead removing products that are stronger than biore pore strips? I've got these ridiculous blackheads in the area between my bottom lip and chin (kind of like where a soulpatch would be if I were a hipster guy? I can't think of a better way to describe it lol). They've been around for as long as I can remember and I can never get them to budge. They're not very dark so they're thankfully not very noticeable, but it just bugs me so much knowing they're there and I can't get rid of them.

Totally a shot in the dark, but does anyone here know of any blackhead removing products that are stronger than biore pore strips? I've got these ridiculous blackheads in the area between my bottom lip and chin (kind of like where a soulpatch would be if I were a hipster guy? I can't think of a better way to describe it lol). They've been around for as long as I can remember and I can never get them to budge. They're not very dark so they're thankfully not very noticeable, but it just bugs me so much knowing they're there and I can't get rid of them.

Have you tried one of these? I don't get blackheads so I don't know how well it works for those, but it is a miracle tool for whiteheads! There's one head for removal of blackheads and one end for whiteheads.

https://www.birchbox.com/shop/tweezerman-stainless-steel-no-slip-skin

I've not used the Biore pore strips, but what about a peel-off mask?  They go on gooey, enveloping your pores then set and dry on your face.

I like Boscia Luminizing Black Mask, it leaves my face baby smooth and lifts some white heads too.  Also it has the added bonus of getting rid of the little bit of barely noticeable lady-stache.

Edited by FormosaHoney
  • Like 2

I love that black mask so much lol. So gross to see it in the end though :sick:

I've not used the Biore pore strips, but what about a peel-off mask? They set and dry on your face, then lift!

I like Boscia Luminizing Black Mask, it leaves my face baby smooth and lifts some white heads too. Also it has the added bonus of getting rid of the little bit of barely noticeable lady-stache.

I have that mask and it doesn't help my chin area :( it does a great job on the rest of my face and I would say it's maybe just slightly weaker than a pore strip, but is also the strongest peel off mask I've ever tried.

Have you tried one of these? I don't get blackheads so I don't know how well it works for those, but it is a miracle tool for whiteheads! There's one head for removal of blackheads and one end for whiteheads.

https://www.birchbox.com/shop/tweezerman-stainless-steel-no-slip-skin

I haven't tried this before! I usually just use my nails to pop out the blackheads that pore strips don't pick up, but the only way I've been able to get the ones on my chin is to scrape really hard with a nail, but there's a fine line between getting the blackhead and breaking the skin so I don't really do it. I know I'm technically not supposed to pick at my face but I can't help it, I've done it compulsively for 8+ years.

I love that black mask so much lol. So gross to see it in the end though :sick:

Lmao yeah it does a crazy good job on my cheeks, I can see the mask kind of denting in at the pores and grabbing the gunk, and peeling it off is so satisfying... But my chin is just so stubborn!

Edited by norther

I steam and lightly exfoliate followed by a Korean three step blackhead removing "kit". They're mostly for the nose area but you can use them in other areas also