Cancelling Maven

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else really not appreciate getting the 3rd degree when cancelling a Maven account? ugh and they CONTINUE to try and sell you the service even when you already spent however long on hold just to do so. The girl on the phone also would not remove my credit card information which I thought was sketchy. wtf?

So unpleasant. I wonder if they are really trained to have such a negative tone in their voice when people call for cancellations, I am very unimpressed by this strange customer retention strategy.

That is so weird!  When I called to cancel, she just said okay and cancelled it.  It was like less than a minute.  :\  She didn't even ask me why I was cancelling or anything!  You got a crappy csa, I think!

I hate talking on the phone so I cheated to cancel: I just changed the credit card info in my account. You can't change the card number, but you can change everything else (security code, expiration date, etc.) and my bank rejects the transaction when all that's wrong. It works and you don't have to speak to anyone! 

I hate talking on the phone so I cheated to cancel: I just changed the credit card info in my account. You can't change the card number, but you can change everything else (security code, expiration date, etc.) and my bank rejects the transaction when all that's wrong. It works and you don't have to speak to anyone! 
I wish I did that.  I called in and cancelled and I think I got the owner of the company.  She grilled me for a really long time asking why I was cancelling and was kinda rude and very snappish about it.  People cancel, it happens.  She's the reason I'll never subscribe again.   Well.. maybe I would if they changed the cancelling policy to over the internet.  

Uhg I hate it too! I tried canceling Julep via e-mail and they wouldn't let me. I read on here somewhere that others had been successful doing that. Looks like I may be using your trick!!

I think I've actually taken only one box in the past 12 months...

Does anyone else really not appreciate getting the 3rd degree when cancelling a Maven account? ugh and they CONTINUE to try and sell you the service even when you already spent however long on hold just to do so. The girl on the phone also would not remove my credit card information which I thought was sketchy. wtf?

So unpleasant. I wonder if they are really trained to have such a negative tone in their voice when people call for cancellations, I am very unimpressed by this strange customer retention strategy.
That  might be illegal.  I'd call back and try to get someone else and see if they will remove it.  I don't think they have any right to retain it.  I would personally probably threaten legal action.

I've never cancelled but I've heard people have a lot of luck calling and picking one of the menu options that ISN'T the cancel option - both in getting someone on the phone faster and having an easier time canceling. Though I've never heard of anyone given trouble for canceling before either but the CS reps may be required to ask for a reason and some may come off as more pushy than others? 

Okay, so they apparently have someone stalking MUT - changing my billing information has always worked but today I got a charge for $19.99 on my card! Oops. So don't try that, guys. I'm pretty irritated, actually, and my desire to NOT deal with their customer service is so strong I think I'm just going to cancel this card and get a new one...it'll help with my low-buy, anyway.

That  might be illegal.  I'd call back and try to get someone else and see if they will remove it.  I don't think they have any right to retain it.  I would personally probably threaten legal action.
I agree.  When I cancel I plan on having my cc info. removed from any sub.  I just think that's the smart thing to do.

Definitely call back and demand to have your information removed.  It's your info.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not illegal. The company is required to retain that info for a certain period of time, but usually in a truncated format in order to prevent fraud. This is not in order for them to continue billing (THAT IS ILLEGAL)  but in order to ensure the records are available according to banking regulation requirements.. The truth is once you use a credit card with any company, that card is in their records and cannot be deleted.

This is making me nervous to call and cancel!

I'm upset that they changed their box skipping to only being able to skip so many boxes a year; 

That's bogus so i just want to quit, I don't care how much i liked getting the boxes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm upset that they changed their box skipping to only being able to skip so many boxes a year; 

That's bogus so i just want to quit, I don't care how much i liked getting the boxes :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Especially with a nail polish sub.  There no possible way you can use up all the nail polish in one month (unless you have some kind of OCD thing going on) so if you want to keep customers... Allow skip!

I just signed up for SquareHue and they let you skip all you want!  Plus you get FULL SIZE polishes!  

The way to do it is to call when they're closed and leave a message with your account info saying that you want to cancel. I just got a confirmation email and didn't have to talk to anyone!

Do not leave you credit card information on a machine though. That can easily be stolen and used for fraud, since anyone can access an answering service. If you call, just give the last 4 digits, your name, and that you would like to cancel.

I've been a member since the beginning but I have sooooo many nail polishes that it's absolutely ridiculous, so I haven't gotten a box in a long time.

Do not leave you credit card information on a machine though. That can easily be stolen and used for fraud, since anyone can access an answering service. If you call, just give the last 4 digits, your name, and that you would like to cancel.

I've been a member since the beginning but I have sooooo many nail polishes that it's absolutely ridiculous, so I haven't gotten a box in a long time.
I didn't even have to leave any credit card information. Just my name, email the account is under, and phone number.

I wish I had paid attention to the fact that you had to call in to cancel.  I find that to be a very shady business practice - if you can enroll online you should also be able to cancel online.  Clearly they have designed the cancellation process to be punitive - shady.

I just canceled my second Maven account today, (I used a promo code to get a free box) and I had no problem canceling.  She just said that she would be sending me a cancellation email.  She didn't even ask me why I was canceling... Pretty simple for me to cancel.

I'm going to cancel after the order I just placed with a code gets here. I'm not feeling $24.99 a month for a few polishes. I've been a Maven since August 2013 and I think I've only taken 4 boxes and one was a total mistake (I forgot to skip because I was super busy and it just showed up, hah). Most of my polishes have come from great promo codes and mystery boxes and now I have enough to last a loooong time. 

The way to do it is to call when they're closed and leave a message with your account info saying that you want to cancel. I just got a confirmation email and didn't have to talk to anyone!
Thank you! I will definitely try that first.

If you left a message to cancel, have you received a confirmation? I called over a week ago (and was prepared for the attitude) but apparently they were so busy that it went right to a voice mail after selecting the cancel prompt.  I left a very clear message with my name, email and cancellation request - have not received confirmation though.

Last time I tried to cancel my subscription it was nightmer, I called them 5 times but the number was always busy. I wrote them email after 24th and they said they already charged me. I was very disappointed.

Latest posts

Back