What's the point of the natural bristles in a Mac 187 (the short bristles in a duo-fiber brush)?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have much else to add. It seems like only the long, synthetic bristles are ever used. What am I missing?

Sub-question: Does anyone have both the Mac 130 and the elf Studio Small Stipple brush? How do the two compare?

Thank you, thank you.

There are no natural bristles in fibre optic brushes... All synthetic.

As for brand comparison, the only difference is how well the manufacturer glues the bristles inside the ferrule, as most tend to shed over time. (Dependant on frequency of use, cleaning etc).

Thanks for the reply!

I think you might have misunderstood my question though. I asked what the point of the natural bristles in a duo-fiber brush were. I'm not sure what a fiber optic brush is admittedly, but I'm sure duo-fiber brushes have natural and synthetic bristles, or at least most do. The 187 definitely does.

Anyway, still thanks for your help.

Duo-fibre brushes were commonly called fibre optic brushes, because of the white tipped bristles, at least in the 90's they were... At any rate, I see now that manufacturers are combining natural/synthetic fibres to these type of brushes.

However MAC's 208 angled brow brush is considered a duo-fibre brush because of the natural/synthetic bristle blend.

To answer your question as to what's the purpose of the 187's blend, the natural hairs are for powder based products, and the synthetic fibres are for liquid based products. That's why the 187 was originally meant for highlight powders, but it's also very versatile as a foundation brush as well.

The bristle layout (not dense) compliments each other, that's why you can use the 187 both wet and dry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back