Nail polish related disasters: What's your worst

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just spilled a lot of acetone all over my desk and some even splashed up on the 22" TV that was sitting behind it.  It ate all the plastic on the frame of the TV and the base.  It's not my TV.  It belongs to my mom who lives with me sometimes.  She's been gone for about a year and won't be back until next fall so I thought I would bring it in my office to play video games on.  Now I ruined something that isn't mine.  I guess I just bought her a new one!  What's your worst nail polish or polish related item distaster???

Last edited by a moderator:
I was taking over the nail polish in my car with the acetone. I accidently laid it on the deck of the shift gear thing, and it ate the paint or whatever u call it off....like completely off so now i have this black big mark on it >.<  lesson learn: don't use acetone in the car.

Aargh! A recent frustration: I typed text in here and accidentally started a search from this page rather than switching to my intended tab. So I deleted everything I wrote. Oh well.

Mine aren't quite as bad, but they were educational. 1) In my early teens I got polish on a piece of clothing. To remove it, I put the item on the toilet seat lid and used acetone. It worked and the clothes were fine, but the lid was trashed as it melted the plastic! At least a toilet seat lid is cheaper than a TV. It wasn't that bad, but I certainly did not repeat that! And of course some clothing would also have been melted by acetone - word to the wise. 2) Recently coming back from a trip I had my polish in my checked luggage (obviously you can't have it elsewhere), and it was well wrapped, but when I returned and opened it, the pressure difference caused the liquid to burst out of the bottle all over the counter and into the outside part of the lid. I lost about a third of my remaining Cult Nails Wicked Fast top coat, so that was sad. I really like it, and of course go through top coat fairly fast. I should have fractionally opened it and let it sit for a while. Ah, and maybe not a disaster either, but 3) I gave away a bunch of polish several years ago. I felt I didn't 'need' it. True enough. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A potential polish disaster for some (without the tolerant partner, space or budget for it) is the desire to have !!! all the new polishes !!! If you estimate that you have 20 applications per bottle, and apply polish twice a week, 200 bottles would last you 40 years! Sure, for most of us it isn't about using it all up, but it's interesting to consider. We need nail polish heirs! I'm being a bit critical about how many pinks/reds/etc. I have that are close to those in new collections, but there are a lot of gorgeous new colours out there, and I'm always looking for great nail art polish!

Where do I start... lol Perhaps one of the worst was Halloween 2012 when I was hosting a party at my place.  For my costume I was trying to attach these long false French nails in a rush, and knocked the bottle of glue over on the washroom counter.  Normally, this wouldn't have been *that* bad,  but this stuff was something |I got off eBay, and it was literally like water.  It crystallized all over the counter, and it took FOREVER to scrap off.

Another incident was when I was on a roadtrip and got bored in the car while waiting for a couple friends in the coffee shop.  I figured I'd do my nails while waiting.  Anyway, when one of them returned, I had to reach in the back seat, and inadvertently scraped the ceiling with my thumbnail; red polish was all across my car's ceiling lol  I then panicked a bit, and tried to scrub it off with nail polish remover and it got worse.  One of my friends called someone he knew at an auto-detailing shop, and asked if they knew how to get nail polish out of a car ceiling; they basically broke out laughing..  Eventually, I did get it out, but it's a little embarrassing to admit that a similar event happened later that year.. Just my luck! lol    

One thing I've learned some thee stories; bad things happen when I rush hah

I set my brand new bottle of OPI Liquid Sand polish up on my mantle and then managed to knock it to the stone hearth below. Of course, it shattered, and got polish on 1) the stone hearth, 2) the carpet, and 3) the wall - both baseboard AND regular wall. I used polish remover to get what I could, but the stone was porous, so there's still purple glitter lodged in there. I ended up having to wait for the polish to dry and cut it out of the carpet. And I course the acetone took off the wall paint so the poor wall still has scars, and will until I get around to painting it.

The best part? This happened mere months after buying our house. There went that brand-new house feeling! Oops!

Great stories!  Keep them coming.  Help me to realize I am not the only one out there.  I did just learn from a conversation with Girly Bits on FB that apparently if you spill polish on hard surfaces you can put sugar on it and it's supposed to absorb it so it can be swept up if it's done fast enough.  I asked her if it worked for carpets.  I am not trying to dump any of my polish on the floor to try but I may start stashing little containers of sugar in my office.  I got a few large drops of Rainbow Honey's Cameo 18 which of course is the brightest neon pink I own, on my loft carpet two weeks ago.  I just told my boyfriend it adds character to the space.

I used to keep my polish in cardboard envelope boxes and I had 2 of them stacked on top of each other on the couch next to me and one FULL box fell off the couch. Not only did it make a hell of a racket when it landed on the hardwood floor, but one of the bottles broke and I had teal glitter all over the floor.

Lucky for me it was a pretty sheer color so I quickly wiped it up with little damage to the floor. Some of the glitter pieces were stubborn, though, and were left on the floor until they eventually just wore off.

We are moving in about a month to a house that's fully carpeted. My hubby pointed out that I should be extra careful, but I think he forgets that before I moved on with him, I lived in a fully carpeted house!! And I have a much better storage system now.

I need to preface my latest polish disaster with some background.  I have a cat named Link that's what I like to call a "special needs" cat.  Nothing physical just all behavioral/mental.

Last night I had arranged polish on my two new wooden spice racks to see how much could fit.  I put all China Glaze on one seeing if it could all fit.  Today he walked up to the rack which is propped up on the floor against the wall until I can paint then mount it and he lifted his leg and urinated all over my bottom row of polishes.  I saw it happen and stopped him before he could do anymore damage.  If he would have chose the other rack just a mere 3" to his left he would have doused my entire Hit Polish collection (all paper labels).  Thankfully I was able to clean it all up and rinse the bottles. 

It gets worse... the rack next to it just tipped over on me when I was over checking on the bottles and one of my Sally Hansen polished just burst all over me and my floor and all the polishes on that rack.

I did my nails when my parents were on vacation when I was younger...at the living room coffee table. My grandma was there house-sitting with me and my younger sister, I think I was probably 13 or 14. Anyway my mom had acrylic nails at that time and bought the big bottles of pure acetone to help her remove them. I soaked a few cotton balls in acetone and set them RIGHT ON the coffee table, which ate a good size hole of the varnish/top coat of the table.  I think I bawled every day until they came back-- surprisingly, they weren't as upset with me as I thought they would be. 

I need to preface my latest polish disaster with some background.  I have a cat named Link that's what I like to call a "special needs" cat.  Nothing physical just all behavioral/mental.

Last night I had arranged polish on my two new wooden spice racks to see how much could fit.  I put all China Glaze on one seeing if it could all fit.  Today he walked up to the rack which is propped up on the floor against the wall until I can paint then mount it and he lifted his leg and urinated all over my bottom row of polishes.  I saw it happen and stopped him before he could do anymore damage.  If he would have chose the other rack just a mere 3" to his left he would have doused my entire Hit Polish collection (all paper labels).  Thankfully I was able to clean it all up and rinse the bottles. 

It gets worse... the rack next to it just tipped over on me when I was over checking on the bottles and one of my Sally Hansen polished just burst all over me and my floor and all the polishes on that rack.
Now we know! When you get to that point - screw them into the studs in the wall to keep them from ever tipping. And maybe a clear plastic cover to protect them from future cat issues?

Now we know! When you get to that point - screw them into the studs in the wall to keep them from ever tipping. And maybe a clear plastic cover to protect them from future cat issues?
It's my fault I stuck him in my office with no litter box while I was working and I should NEVER had filled them with polish while they were just propped up there anyway.  They were literally just sitting on the floor full o' polish leaning up against the closet door.  Shame on me.  I am lucky only one bottle broke and my amazing boyfriend ran out and replaced it that night.

It's my fault I stuck him in my office with no litter box while I was working and I should NEVER had filled them with polish while they were just propped up there anyway.  They were literally just sitting on the floor full o' polish leaning up against the closet door.  Shame on me.  I am lucky only one bottle broke and my amazing boyfriend ran out and replaced it that night.
Wow! He really is amazing! My SO would just be upset with the mess and shake his head at the whole thing. He's pretty ambivalent about the polish thing...

The part that gets me is that HE LIFTED HIS LEG. I have never seen a kitty do that!
LOL right???  Fortunately for me he did that and actually hit the caps mostly so they were easier to clean and the paper labels on the bottom didn't get soaked.  Also thankfully he did it at the beginning of my lunch and I saw it so I could immediately clean it up.  He belonged to my best friend that passed away a few years ago so I can't really ask him again what happened when he took the cat to get him neutered.  I think the place didn't do it right.  Either he really hates China Glaze or he was marking them as his own???  It's so weird when he goes in the litter box he won't touch the litter he props his legs up on the sides and does like a balancing act.  I am making an appointment with a vet to have him checked out.  Among other things he is a compulsive groomer and it nearly bald on his legs and belly.  He's got anxiety issues big time. 

Wow! He really is amazing! My SO would just be upset with the mess and shake his head at the whole thing. He's pretty ambivalent about the polish thing...
Yep he is!!  Lucky for us the carpets in our house were in pretty bad shape when we moved in.  He's proud of my collection and tells all his female coworkers about my polish stash!

I was taking over the nail polish in my car with the acetone. I accidently laid it on the deck of the shift gear thing, and it ate the paint or whatever u call it off....like completely off so now i have this black big mark on it >.<  lesson learn: don't use acetone in the car.
Or on your coffee table. I had to fill it in with sharpie because it took the stain off the wood. Good thing we've been wanting to get a new one! And just doing your nails, putting rubber gloves on to do your toes and have the acetone go through the rubber glove and mess up your nails-- my husband leaves this little detail out and tells me after that the acetone will go through the glove. Well thank you! <_<

Oh and one time, I'm guessing I was around 13 or so. And I had a desk in my room so I was sitting in my chair leaning back and painting my toes when I knocked the bottle of PURPLE polish all over the carpet. I start freaking out and running around in circles while walking with one foot on the heel, trying to figure out how to clean it. I'm pretty sure I had a 10 minute freak out, then went down stairs and told my mom she was gonna kill me. She went up stairs and saw the damage and asked me what I was thinking.. WELLLLL it sounded like a good idea in the first place. Luckily I have understanding parents. (don't even get me started on my sister juggling mustard like she was in the circus). LOL

Thinking that your nails are dry, going to bed and waking up with sheets stuck to nails. That's why I started using Sally Hansen quick dry clear as my top coat.

I knocked over a bottle of Sally Hansen Insta-Dry in Mint Sprint into my tan bath tub. I had a nice big smear because instead of dabbing to get it all up, I wiped instead.

My coworker suggested using Turtle Wax poilshing compound (not the gritty stuff, the white stuff). It worked wonderfully, but I had a nice clean shiny spot. So I ended up turtle waxing the whole tub. It looked rather nice afterwards.

I have a box of mostly julep polish, and it fell off my desk onto the carpet. Fortunately, only one bottle broke, but it is a favorite blue color of mine. It left a huge stain on the carpet. I hope they won't notice it when i move out this month.

Latest posts

Back