BB cream, CC cream - how to use

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I come from prehistoric times when you washed your face and put on moisturizer and foundation...... I've been doing subscription boxes for months now, and I've got all these BB cream and CC cream samples, and I'm really not sure what to do with them.   Can someone please give me a brief overview of how you're supposed to use them? 

Do they replace your moisturizer, or go on top of it?  

Are they supposed to be used instead of foundation, or before foundation? 

Do you still use a primer if you're using a BB or CC cream? 

At first I thought CC cream was like a concealer, but after doing some reading it seems like they're supposed to work over time.  Is that the case?

I'm so confused....thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's all personal preference!  I wouldn't use a BB or CC cream in addition to a foundation, that's entirely too much coverage!  I typically use a moisturizing primer (my face doesn't soak up moisturizer super well..), put my concealer on and cover up any redness with my concealer, and then put a BB or CC cream on my whole face.  Then just do the rest of my makeup!  If you use a primer and a moisturizer regularly anyways, then do that!  I essentially just stuck it in where my foundation was in my routine and took out foundation :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Korean BB creams  contain moisturizer, good SPF and have healing, soothing properties ( I don't recommend any US brands) They can be applied to bare skin, or if you prefer you can use a primer underneath. If you like a matte look brush a small amount of powder on top. They really are wonderful all in one products.

I have dry skin so I always put on moisturizer, than primer (I know it's supposed to be included in BB's) and than BB cream. I use like like I would use a foundation.  

most of BB creams provide sheer tine and some additional benefits, such as priming, moisturizing, oil control, SPF, etc. These additional benifits vary widely from one brand to another.  

I'm convinced CC creams are BB creams with a different name. Meh.

I love them though. BB and CC. I've worn them both ways, with and without moisturizers and primers underneath. I prefer to use with a moisturizer as it helps it go on more smoothly, but I haven't found that a primer is usually necessary. Moisturizer isn't really necessary with some formulations either. It absolutely depends on the brand.

I like Dior nude BB-I wear a moisturizer under this one. I also like Dior hydra life BB and that one I can get away with wearing completely alone. It has slightly more coverage and moisture IMO. There are so many I can't possibly discuss them all but those are the ones I usually stick to.

Experiment and see what works best. Like I said, it's going to be different with every brand you try.

I rotate between the skin79 Hot Pink & Missha Perfect Cover. I will use a mattifier on my nose for pores (Benefit Porefessional or Maybelline Baby Skin) with both but I can skip moisturiser with the skin79. I find Missha too dry without something underneath.

Both have more than enough coverage (easily medium) so no foundation overtop. 

Thanks, all.  I'm finding that the Origins Smarty Plants CC cream seems to work reasonably well as a foundation, and so does the Benefit Big Easy, which I guess is considered a BB cream.   I usually use a light moisturizer with either one, and depending on how dry my skin is that day, I'll even skip the moisturizer sometimes.

I've tested quite a few bb/cc creams, all korean brands though. And the one thing I've found is that CC cream, has almost no coverage, but are very moisturizing and adds a nice glow. Usually CC creams are white and adapts to your skintone within seconds. Bb creams have a higher amount of coverage and not that moisturizing.

I would use cc creams on warm days when I just want that little bit of color and glow. And BB cream all other days. I use BB creams daily instead of foundation. 

My favorites:
BB cream - Lioele Beyond the solution (no spf sadly, but the best bb cream EVER. However if you want the spf, it has a sister product named Triple the solution with 30spf) and Dr Jart Bb cream (black tube)
CC cream: Leaders insolution CC cream, Tonymoly Luminous aura CC cream.

Back