Eyelash curling issues?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been curling my eyelashes for a while, but it's never really made much of a difference. I've recently begun to curl them after I apply mascara, and noticed a huge difference in volume. However, I also noticed something after I took the mascara off - lash breakage. I have very long eyelashes and really don't want them to break, is there any way that I can still curl them and get great results without the risk?

If it makes a difference, I use Rimmel Lash Accelerator mascara.  :blink:

Julia, you really don't want to curl your lashes after applying mascara. As you have discovered it will only lead to weakening and lashes being pulled out.

We are in the process of launching a new eyelash curler so I have been doing extensive research on them and a lot of them are of poor quality.

Here are some tips for you

• Try to use one that is loaded with a spring as you can assert more pressure.
  • Make sure your lashes are completely dry and oil free otherwise if they are even slightly damp or have any residue on then you might find curling difficult. A lot of cleansers are oil based and the oil attaches itself to your lashes making them hard to manipulate into any kind of curl.
  • Get the curler as close to the base of your lashes as you can, but avoid your skin
  • Squeeze the curler for 10 to 15 seconds and release.
  • Apply mascara immediately as this will help set your lashes

Hope this helps you Julia

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been curling my eyelashes for a while, but it's never really made much of a difference. I've recently begun to curl them after I apply mascara, and noticed a huge difference in volume. However, I also noticed something after I took the mascara off - lash breakage. I have very long eyelashes and really don't want them to break, is there any way that I can still curl them and get great results without the risk?

If it makes a difference, I use Rimmel Lash Accelerator mascara.  :blink:
The reason your lashes are breaking is because your mascara has set (hardened) your lashes. So now when you apply any kind of pressure or tension to them, they will break.

Just follow the steps B&B laid out above and you will have no problem. 

Any tips on how not to cut your lashes with a curler?

I literally mean cut, I seem to keep trimming them with my curler.

I keep doing that, I guess I squeeze to hard. It's so annoying having to wait till they grow back.

It's not like I have long lashes in the first place.

Would a heated curler work better?

I also have lashes on the outside edges that point straight towards my eye instead of upward.

They are so annoying. I almost bought a mini curler for those, but they stopped selling the mini curler.

I have the Sephora Eyelash curler, (in green)

it has the rubber on the bottom band, I'm sure that helps not damage your lashes.

But I break mine even with the rubber bottom.

I probably need some kind of lash strengthing stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips on how not to cut your lashes with a curler?

I literally mean cut, I seem to keep trimming them with my curler.

I keep doing that, I guess I squeeze to hard. It's so annoying having to wait till they grow back.

It's not like I have long lashes in the first place.

Would a heated curler work better?

I also have lashes on the outside edges that point straight towards my eye instead of upward.

They are so annoying. I almost bought a mini curler for those, but they stopped selling the mini curler.
I am going to go-out-on-a-limb here, and guess that you're not putting on mascara first???

The only thing that I can think of that is cutting your lashes is, is that your curler is not clean, ie, it has dried mascara, liner, shadow etc on the rubber pad and on the metal curler. Dried and old make-up will harden  the rubber pads and will create a micro jagged edge on the metal curler part of the curler which can potentially cut or bend your lashes as opposed to "curling" them. Always clean your curler after each use with 99%.

Yes, heated ones work way better, and you can also heat a regular curler as well.

For stubborn outer lashes, you can either slightly shift your curler to the outer edge of your lashes on your second curling, or you can use a mini curler, (which are still made and are still available).

I do wipe it down to remove the mascara, I may just have brittle lashes. I don't know.

Thanks for your advice.

I will just keep looking for better curlers, a heated one and a mini one.

Yeah, I was just trying to figure it out... From what other Pro MUA's tell me (and my experiences as well), typically cut lashes are due to three things:

1) dirty curlers

2) mascara applied first

3) improper use of curlers

Brittle lashes??? Sure. But what causes brittle lashes in the first place? Usually two things:

1) old mascara not properly being removed

2) health / diet

Obviously you've eliminated the four things I've listed. So I am just as stumped as you, as this is such a rare occurrence. However, we Pros see a lot of pulled out lashes.

I do wipe it down to remove the mascara, I may just have brittle lashes. I don't know.

Thanks for your advice.

I will just keep looking for better curlers, a heated one and a mini one.
You could try putting a little petroleum jelly on your lashes at night. This should help condition them

Not sure if it will work but definitely worth a try.

Thanks that's a great idea.

I have a huge jar right near my makeup mirror I use that gift my lips sometimes.

This happened with my older eyelash curler, I'm thinking it's me now.

I think I'm just pressing to hard and for to long.

I used to hold for a 15 count, but I going to shorten that to 5-8 now.

I think I'll invest in a heated one when I can and once they grow back.

At least I know they will grow back.

Thanks everyone.

Nope, your count is good. I use a 10-15 count when I use a *heated curler. On short, straight lashes, (mostly Asians), I use a 20 count and curl them twice.

On very long lashes, I use a 10-15 count at the roots, and then a 10 count at the half-way (middle) part of the lashes.

On wide / large shaped eyes, I use the above "long lash" technique, and then I use a mini curler on the outer corners twice.

*I heat all my curlers.

You mention "...when your lashes grow back" that tells me you're most likely pulling your lashes out. As most people use that term in this context.

Cut lashes means that your lashes are cut in-half. Unless you mean you're waiting for them to grow back to their original length from half-way.

Cut lashes means that your lashes are cut in-half. Unless you mean you're waiting for them to grow back to their original length from half-way.
I mean this one, this is the third time I've cut them by mistake.

I'm just going to post two photos,

1st, my eye lashes, no make up at all

2nd, my eye lashes, not curled at all, with Lash Out Butterfly Mascara, just to show you better length.

I have shorter lashes to begin with.

The cut side is on the left in the photo when looking at it.

Looking at it close, it looks like I have some cut shorter on both sides.

No mascara

image.jpg

With mascara

image.jpg

Is there a heated brand you can recommend or are just heating the curling wand?

Since the subject has been brought up, I have a question. I have normal length eyelashes that are full, but very pale. I can get my preferred volume + length through mascara alone, and my eyelashes have a natural curl that makes me very pleased. I used to curl my lashes in college but always ended up with lashes that bent backwards on themselves and looked like a horror show.

So, my question: my self-styled "makeup artist" friends tell me that I need to be curling my lashes regardless, that I am doing myself a disservice by not curling them. But whenever I have had an application by a pro, they have never curled my lashes. So, is it necessary? I am really not sure.

When I say "naturally curly" I mean that the tips of my bare lashes point toward the sky. :unsure:

I mean this one, this is the third time I've cut them by mistake.

I'm just going to post two photos,

1st, my eye lashes, no make up at all

2nd, my eye lashes, not curled at all, with Lash Out Butterfly Mascara, just to show you better length.

I have shorter lashes to begin with.

The cut side is on the left in the photo when looking at it.

Looking at it close, it looks like I have some cut shorter on both sides.

No mascara

With mascara

Is there a heated brand you can recommend or are just heating the curling wand?
Ok, I can see from the mascaraed pic, (the left one) that there is a small chunk that is chopped.

As for a solution, use a heated curler, as it's gentler on the lashes, meaning no forced pressure.

Panasonic, Japonesque, turbo lash, hot lashes make heated curlers. 3rd party vendors like Sephora, Frends, Nigel's, and Alcone sell them as well as Amazon.

Since the subject has been brought up, I have a question. I have normal length eyelashes that are full, but very pale. I can get my preferred volume + length through mascara alone, and my eyelashes have a natural curl that makes me very pleased. I used to curl my lashes in college but always ended up with lashes that bent backwards on themselves and looked like a horror show.

So, my question: my self-styled "makeup artist" friends tell me that I need to be curling my lashes regardless, that I am doing myself a disservice by not curling them. But whenever I have had an application by a pro, they have never curled my lashes. So, is it necessary? I am really not sure.

When I say "naturally curly" I mean that the tips of my bare lashes point toward the sky. :unsure:
The reason the Pros don't curl your lashes is that they are naturally curly to begin with, and any mascara will maintain that curl.

So no it's not "necessary" to curl your lashes. I think your friends want you to have that false eye lash look.

Julia, you really don't want to curl your lashes after applying mascara. As you have discovered it will only lead to weakening and lashes being pulled out.

We are in the process of launching a new eyelash curler so I have been doing extensive research on them and a lot of them are of poor quality.

Here are some tips for you

Is it possible to perm your eyelashes by yourself?

My lashes are so straight that even though I curl them and apply mascara, after an hour or two they're back to normal.

I've tried heated ones, curling them right up to the roots so they lie flat against my lids (which I know is so unnatural) but I gave up. I think the mascara makes my lashes heavier so they fall right back down. It's frustrating. I've actually had them permed before at a hair salon but it's just so expensive (and didn't last long) I wanted to know if there was a DIY lash perm kit or something.

Back