Your "Signature" Look

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a particular product (i.e., red lipstick) or a way you apply a specific product (i.e., "cat eye" liner) that has become such a distinctive part of your "signature look" you take time to apply it even if you don't have time to do the rest of your makeup, and/or you rarely change even if you get creative (depending on your mood, what you're wearing, season of the year, etc) with the rest of your face?

For me, it's false lashes. I used to have VERY long, full lashes - so long, they'd touch my eyebrows. Unitl one day, when I was a teenager, I had a bit of an accident using a sunlamp, and burned my eyelids - apparently damaging the follicles of my lashes. After that, many of my lashes fell out and did not regrow, or they'd begin to grow out, then fall out when they reached about half their normal length.

However, I was "known" for my long, fluttery lashes - so I began wearing falsies. I wear them every day - even if I don't have time to do the rest of my makeup, because those long lashes were what distinguished me from everyone else, and without them, I just don't feel like myself.

Do you use a specific product or have a way of applying a product that distinguishes you, and that you feel "naked" without?

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing I'd consider my signature look would be neutral eyeshadow.  Even though I use different shadows they are always some sort of neutral shade.

My ombre red lipstick is my signature look. It's red lipstick with a light dusting of blue eyeshadow in the corners that fade into the red. 

I have blonde, barely visible eyelashes so Ialso wear false lashes often; especially any time I'm performing, or going out to a party, event, etc.  I'm still developing a signature "look", but definitely black or charcoal eyeliner and mascara are always a must for me! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol

My signature eye is always the same, with occasional color variations: A white highlighter from the eyebrow down, a medium shade for the main color on my lid, a darker version of that shade blending into the crease, blended into black in the outer corners. The crease shade is then used with a damp brush underneath my lower lashes. I use black liquid liner all the way around, with a cat-eye wing. Then (of course) major mascara. I switch up the core shades a lot, but the basic formula stays the same.

My signature look is natural... Seriously no makeup at all. Just thought I would add a bit of silliness in this thread. Lol, I hope you don't mind.

As I've said I don't wear makeup, but if I could have a signature look it would prob be a really dark black winged liner and neutral lipstick, no mascara though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Your looks sound lovely though. All of you. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

CaseyR, on 12 May 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:I have blonde, barely visible eyelashes so Ialso wear false lashes often; especially any time I'm performing, or going out to a party, event, etc.  I'm still developing a signature "look", but definitely black or charcoal eyeliner and mascara are always a must for me! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol
My daughter is also blonde, and she inherited my long, full (pre-sunlamp accident) lashes. But like yours, her lashes are very pale. She won't leave the house without mascara. When I mentioned to her that I was starting this thread, she told me a year or so ago she was getting ready for school, but due to not getting much sleep the night before, was too tired to do her makeup. She said no less than three of her schoolmates noticed and asked her why she wasn't wearing any mascara or anything. So she hasn't left the house without at least applying mascara since then!

amygab1126, on 12 May 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:My signature eye is always the same, with occasional color variations: A white highlighter from the eyebrow down, a medium shade for the main color on my lid, a darker version of that shade blending into the crease, blended into black in the outer corners. The crease shade is then used with a damp brush underneath my lower lashes. I use black liquid liner all the way around, with a cat-eye wing. Then (of course) major mascara. I switch up the core shades a lot, but the basic formula stays the same.
I'll bet if you were to go out without that "signature eye," it would take people a minute to realize who you are. I think if there is a specific product or way of applying a product that someone wears all the time, it becomes a part of the image that is formed of you in the minds of other people - and kinda throws them off (in terms of your identity) if you don't wear it.

Courtnee <3, on 12 May 2014 - 04:51 AM, said:
My signature look is natural... Seriously no makeup at all. Just thought I would add a bit of silliness in this thread. Lol, I hope you don't mind.

As I've said I don't wear makeup, but if I could have a signature look it would prob be a really dark black winged liner and neutral lipstick, no mascara though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Your looks sound lovely though. All of you. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
And if all of a sudden you were to show up somewhere with a full face of makeup, especially if it included something dramatic (like red lipstick) or exaggerated (winged black eyeliner) it would probably have the same effect - it would take people a minute to identify you!

My daughter is also blonde, and she inherited my long, full (pre-sunlamp accident) lashes. But like yours, her lashes are very pale. She won't leave the house without mascara. When I mentioned to her that I was starting this thread, she told me a year or so ago she was getting ready for school, but due to not getting much sleep the night before, was too tired to do her makeup. She said no less than three of her schoolmates noticed and asked her why she wasn't wearing any mascara or anything. So she hasn't left the house without at least applying mascara since then!
It's definitely habit forming.  Even when going to do something as casual as grocery shopping, I'll still wear some brown mascara; I literally use it in one form or another every day! hah  I'm sure there are definitely some people that have probably never seen me out casually too.  It's funny how much of a role a simple makeup routine can play.  I've got so used to mine that I almost feel a bit under-dressed without it at times if I'm out at any event of some sort.

Dark filled in brows and dark matte browns on the eyes and coats of mascara (or falsies when I'm feeling fancy). My favorite products for this are the Makeup Forever Aqua Brow Gel, this is my all-time favorite brow product, and the eyeshadows I use vary but usually it's my Lorac pro palette or my itCosmetics Naturally Pretty palette. I always elongate my eyes slightly by dragging the shadows out and slightly up but not too far. Mauve from the Lorac pro is always in my crease to blend out. Always.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I don't use a brow product or mascara it looks as if I have no brows or lashes. Even though I have medium chestnut brown hair (with a lot of snow white nowadays) my brows and lashes have always been a super pale strawberry blonde, since childhood. Of course now, that pale blonde is adding some white of its own, so I always have mascara (preferably brown) and brow pencil or powder .

I always wear either liptick or lipgloss. That's my everyday basic minimum. To gussy-up I'll add Korean BB cream, neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner to the mix.

turntrekgodhead, on 12 May 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:I switch up my makeup a LOT but I always contour/sculpt my cheekbones with lavender MUFE flash cream. I guess that would be my unique signature, along with my hairstyle.
I *so* wanted to see what that shade looks like when you said you use it for contouring - but it's looks like MUFE doesn't make it anymore. <sad> The only current product I could find is the Lavender Aqua Cream, but that didn't look like it could be used for that purpose - far too pale and shimmery.

shannyxg, on 12 May 2014 - 1:23 PM, said:<snip> My favorite products for this are the Makeup Forever Aqua Brow Gel, this is my all-time favorite brow product, <snip>
I've had the MUFE Aqua Brow Gel on my Sephora "Loves" list for ever. I'm dying to try it because it has gotten such great reviews!

Kristine Walker, on 12 May 2014 - 2:03 PM, said:
 When I don't use a brow product or mascara it looks as if I have no brows or lashes. Even though I have medium chestnut brown hair (with a lot of snow white nowadays) my brows and lashes have always been a super pale strawberry blonde, since childhood. Of course now, that pale blonde is adding some white of its own, so I always have mascara (preferably brown) and brow pencil or powder .

I always wear either liptick or lipgloss. That's my everyday basic minimum. To gussy-up I'll add Korean BB cream, neutral eyeshadow, eyeliner to the mix.
I hear you! I just started filling in my brows about a year ago, and it took me quite a few days to get over that "Eek! I look like GROUCHO!" thing when I first began paying attention to my brows. They just seem so....obvious...when you're used to not filling them in and then suddenly you see yourself with properly shaped and colored brows!

I *really* need to get into the lipstick habit. I've never been all that fond of it (because I *hate* touching up or having to reapply my makeup....I like doing it ONCE and then expect it to last until I take it off). Lip products just seem so high maintenance to me and I need to get over that. I'm sure I look odd with all the rest of my makeup perfect and in place and then my "naked" lips.....

Definitely my brows. I used to always use the same pencil, but now I use Tarte's brow mousse. I do them the same no matter what I do to the rest of my face. 

Oddly I don't even feel like I do them that good, I just feel absolutely naked if I don't. 

I *so* wanted to see what that shade looks like when you said you use it for contouring - but it's looks like MUFE doesn't make it anymore. <sad> The only current product I could find is the Lavender Aqua Cream, but that didn't look like it could be used for that purpose - far too pale and shimmery.
Oh my gosh! I didn't even know. D: I only picked it up this past march break in Toronto! The colour is more specifically called "Violin" but you're right, they don't seem to offer it on the MUFE website anymore. The Sephora I went to had a separate MUFE store within it so it offered more of their products than other Sephora stores (though sephora didn't give me points for my MUFE purchase).

I can still post a picture! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll bet if you were to go out without that "signature eye," it would take people a minute to realize who you are. I think if there is a specific product or way of applying a product that someone wears all the time, it becomes a part of the image that is formed of you in the minds of other people - and kinda throws them off (in terms of your identity) if you don't wear it.
That is true! I do look very different without all the eye makeup. I also forgot to mention brows. I've gotten a ton of compliments in my life on my eyebrows, but they're practically not even there if I don't fill them in. I do kind of a strong brow (I'm Italian and don't have particularly "delicate" features, so I think I can pull it off), and I think that's a signature of mine as well.

Oh my gosh! I didn't even know. D: I only picked it up this past march break in Toronto! The colour is more specifically called "Violin" but you're right, they don't seem to offer it on the MUFE website anymore. The Sephora I went to had a separate MUFE store within it so it offered more of their products than other Sephora stores (though sephora didn't give me points for my MUFE purchase).

I can still post a picture! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Oh yes, please do! I would love to see a picture of your cheeks after you've applied it, too. I have a lavender blush from a Coastal Scents Blush Too palette that matches the MUFE lavender powder blush *exactly*, and I've used it a couple of times - but it's a tricky color to apply as a blush. One can go from "distinctive but stunning" to "Are you a clown?" in about two seconds if you're not careful!

That is true! I do look very different without all the eye makeup. I also forgot to mention brows. I've gotten a ton of compliments in my life on my eyebrows, but they're practically not even there if I don't fill them in. I do kind of a strong brow (I'm Italian and don't have particularly "delicate" features, so I think I can pull it off), and I think that's a signature of mine as well.
Yep - when I started the thread I was thinking about someone I know who *always* wears black "cat eye" liner, and without it she really does look like a different person. Not so much that I wouldn't recognize her, but if I were to see her without the liner there would be a split second "Wait - IS that her?" going through my mind. But brows can radically change the look of one's face, especially on someone who has very pale brows in contrast with darker hair. If they do fill them in to more closely match their haircolor, they look completely different!

Definitely my eyebrows. I have brows that have a pretty severe arch to them, naturally. They are pretty full too. I'm a natural blond who colors my hair darker. I add hair color to my brows too b/c they are super light. I also use brow powder for definition. When I don't do that, I look weird. I get a lot of compliments on my brows though.

Selena

I have to fill in my brows before I go anywhere-- even walmart. LOL. Mine don't have a very good arch in them so I shape them with brown powder. I also feel naked if I don't have eyeliner on. I always go for the line the top and then line the bottom and smudge smudge smudge! I also need to put at least foundation on. So bascially I need to put my face on if I'm going ANYWHERE. :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back