Must-have makeup on the go.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ladies, I need your opinions on this topic...

Let's say in the morning you go to school or work and then after you decide to go to a happy hour or a party or another event. 

However, you don't have time to come home and put your makeup on and obviously you don't carry all of your makeup in your purse (let's say it's a small purse).

What are the must-have essential items that you can carry in your purse?

Try to limit yourselves to up to 5 items or less (1 item will also work)

Please put the items in the order of importance!

Looking forward to your posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
1, ELF makeup remover pen

2. Powder w/mirror

3. Lipstick

4. Just for Redheads Reddy Palette (discontinued, credit card sized face palettes)

5. Mascara

My purse is about the side of a forearm without the wrist, but bowling ball shaped so I consider that small.

Anyways, my list:

1. Eyeliner - ELF Gel Eyeliner (Black)

2. Bronzer - NARS Laguna

3. Eyeshadow Compact - NYC's Individual Eyes #942

4. Mascara - Benefit's They're Real Mascara

5. Blotting Paper

If I was better at planning ahead, this might be different, but I'm going to tell you what is actually in my makeup bag in my purse. Because I'm terrible at planning ahead. But I still think this is a good little set of items!

1. Blotting paper (ELF)

2. Lip gloss (Lipfusion Infatuation)

3. Tinted lip balm - what can I say, I like options! I'm a lip product junkie.

4. Compact mirror

5. Tweezers (the lighting in my bathroom is terrible so I'm always seeing stray eyebrow hairs I need to pluck when I'm out and about....a little TMI?)

There's also deodorant, gum, a nail file, and hand cream in there, but those are the face-related items.

My purse is ultra small, so this has been tried & tested!

1) Sheer Cover foundation in Bisque

2) Benefit Benetint pocket pal (doubles as a lip & cheek stain)

3) Mascara (whatever I am using at the time)

With these 3 items I can create either a pretty daytime look or a dramatic night time look.

Day: Light coverage with a hint of color on lips and cheeks, with one coat of mascara

Night: Extra coverage, hint of color on cheeks and a few coats on lips and lashings of mascara

LKMusic, on 13 May 2014 - 4:09 PM, said:LKMusic, on 13 May 2014 - 4:09 PM, said:
<snip>

Let's say in the morning you go to school or work and then after you decide to go to a happy hour or a party or another event. 

However, you don't have time to come home and put your makeup on and obviously you don't carry all of your makeup in your purse (let's say it's a small purse).

What are the must-have essential items that you can carry in your purse?

<snip>.
Would you mind clarifying something, please?

In your proposed scenario, are you already wearing makeup you applied in the morning for school/work, or are you completely bare-faced (didn't apply school/work makeup that day) and must start from scratch? I originally thought you meant transition from day makeup to night, then I read "However you don't have time to come home and put your makeup on...." which to me implies you're not wearing any.

I would carry a different set of items if I wasn't wearing any makeup at all, versus having my "day" makeup on and needing to transition to night makeup.

As a response to TwirlyGirly, let's normally you don't wear makeup to school or work or if you do, it's minimal.

It's true that some ladies (and you know who you are) will put on makeup just to go throw out the garbage. 

My question is for a wide range of ladies starting from early teenage-hood and into adulthood. 

Lots of you carry a lot of makeup that you rarely or never actually get to use throughout the day.

My question is if you had to limit yourself to up to 5 items, or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1... what would they be in the order of importance?

Well mine is...

1)Oasis Beauty= Knock out moisturizer. Gets rid of pimples (paired up with Straight serum).

2)Oasis Beauty= Straight up serum. Gets rid of pimples and makes the skin look smoother.

3)Oasis Beauty= Rhino repair. Keeps the skin smelling and feeling soft and nice.

4)Oasis Beauty= Lashes and lips cream. Helps keep lashes and lips moist.

5)Nivea= Strawberry shine lipbalm.

I hope this can still count as MAKEUP even though it would be considered as skincare products. I put these in as I am struggling to say any makeup, I have to confess that I don't own any makeup. Shame full I know. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

1. Powder

2. Lipstick

3. Eyeliner

4. Concealer

5. Lipgloss

ETA - Ooooh...I kinda did this as necessary touch-up items. I couldn't do a full face with just 5 (I'm in that "makeup just to throw out the garbage" category)...probably find a way to cram some minis into a purse so I could include shadow, mascara, blush, and brow pencil.

As a response to TwirlyGirly, let's normally you don't wear makeup to school or work or if you do, it's minimal.

<snip>

My question is if you had to limit yourself to up to 5 items, or 4 or 3 or 2 or 1... what would they be in the order of importance?
Thank you for the clarification!

For me, minimal would be concealer, brows, lashes (either strip falsies [with an invisible strip] OR individual lash falsies), and blush.

So, to transition from that to night, I would first clean my forehead and cheeks with a baby wipe (I always carry a travel pack of Huggies Natural Care wipes with me everywhere, because they're fabulous for removing stains from clothing, cleaning my hands, and "washing" my face). I would clean my face but very carefully - leaving my brows and under-eye concealer intact.

My five transitional items, in order of importance (but definitely not order of application were I to have all five):

Eyeliner (Probably UD Perversion Eye Pencil or similar - could smudge it out to create a smoky eye in the absence of eyeshadow)

Lipstick (Could use this as blush as well if I had to)

Cream to powder compact makeup

Blush

Eyeshadow

It's true that some ladies (and you know who you are) will put on makeup just to go throw out the garbage.

My question is for a wide range of ladies starting from early teenage-hood and into adulthood.

Lots of you carry a lot of makeup that you rarely or never actually get to use throughout the day.

This post looks and sounds like a Proctor & Gamble marketing research questionnaire for a new type of all-in-one product being considered for development or even for an imminent launch.

Back