Primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've never used a primer but people talk about it all the time as its part of many girls make up routine.

I moisturise and then put my foundation and concealer on. Is primer an essential product? What are the benefits of it?

Also I don't wear foundation ever day, some days just concealer and blusher. Would I need primer for days I'm not wearing foundation?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember doing make-ups before the days of primers. The typical "moisturizer first" method always worked. But with new technology in ingredients, and new application techniques that work with these new ingredients, primers are now a must for a flawless finish that lasts... Well, at least for a few hours before touch-ups (depending on environment).

The benefits of primers, is that it will make your foundation go on much easier and smoother, and your foundation will look smoother and will last longer.

I do find that most primers make excellent fine-line reducers (around the eye area). And are good for oil-control. So yes, you can use a primer by itself if these issues are your concern without applying a foundation over it. But no, you don't have to wear it by itself and it's not necessary.

Make-ups in general do and will clog pores, so it's vitally important that you wash the day off your face before you go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everything Vogueboy said!

Even if you don't have any fine lines, many of us have large pores in certain areas, like the nose area. Primer will help a lot to fill in those pores, making them virtually invisible after you apply foundation over it.

There are many different types of primers. There are some that are color-correcting, such as those that have a green tint to help neutralize redness/hyperpigmentation, and violet toned primers to correct sallowness. There are also "illuminating" primers (they have some "sheen" to them and liven up your skin, but they only work in conjunction with light coverage foundations).

If you have very oily skin, you can use a powder primer under any foundation - including cream and liquid foundations. E.L.F. Studio High Definition Powder can be used as both a primer under foundation and a finishing powder (http://www.eyeslipsface.com/studio/face/powder/high_definition_powder). During warm weather months, I use a product called "Wrinkle Blur" (http://www.makingcosmetics.com/cart.php?m=search_results&headerSearch=Y&search=Wrinkle+Blur) which is esentially the same product as the E.L.F. powder (same ingredients - dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer and silica). The dimethicone fills and smooths the skin, and the silica absorbs oil.

It really depends upon your skin type and if there are any special "issues" you need to address (along with your pocketbook!) that will determine what type of primer is best for you.

Back