Babs28

Summerswap 2014 Discussion

I'd love to try indies...anything! Even though I'm old, lol. I find that if a color is too bright, I can make it work as an eyeliner pretty well. 

• Like 2

An update on Swap Buddy assignments so you can stop checking your in box. I'm in bed with a massive migraine tonight (sorry) and can't see straight. Pms will start going out tomorrow after noon eastern time. I'll send as many as I can each day.

Thank god for Siri!

Feel better.

Feel better @@Babs28

I would love to try indie makeup. The only reason I haven't tried any is mainly because I'm afraid of eyeshadows that might be too glittery. I'm ok with some sparkle but I don't like anything that could be considered a glitter bomb.

When it comes to eyeshadow, I think my rule of thumb goes a little like this:  Would a drag performer impersonating Dolly Parton wear it and/or be a little afraid it might be over-the-top?  Yes to either one?  Perfect.  You can't really see my lid color when my eyes are open, so why bother going understated and neutral when you can go flashy and still look pretty much the same?  I do try to avoid overly glittery stuff, but that's just because the fallout on my glasses gets annoying.  Fear no color!  

(And now, it's time to swatch today's arrival:  My June innocent+twisted alchemy subscription pack!  There's a *lot* in here.  I'm actually a little overwhelmed.)

• Like 7

@@meaganola Oh my gosh, jealous!! I snagged a Vanishing Cabinet sub from Notoriously Morbid (her first "subscription" monthly collection AND based on The Craft!!) and also jumped at Hello Waffles 500 Likes Trio, so I can't waiiiit to get those babies in the mail. I think that Shiro Cosmetics is based out of Portland, so you could probably just go to craft faires and get all your pretties from her *jealous pout* 

@@rachelshine  Oh!  I'm going to have to keep an eye on Notoriously Morbid!  I'm a sucker for themed collections like that.  Super bummed that I missed out on a collection based on _The Craft_.  I love that movie!  And for some random reason, two completely separate movie podcasts did features on it within the past month, and it just popped up on Netflix Instant this week!  If my internet connection was cooperating, I would be watching that right now!  (It's not, so I'm starting a rewatch of the first season of _Six Feet Under_ since I have the whole series on my hard drive.)  

And, yup, I got my first round of Shiro in-person at Crafty Wonderland (live-action etsy!) in… April?  That sounds about right.  She only had about eight loose shadows that day because she was doing a build-your-own-pressed-palette thing.  I'm keeping an eye on their Facebook page for the next place they go because I really want some more tinted lip balms but do *not* want to risk a complete meltdown in the mail!

@@Babs28 hope you feel better. Migraines are the worst. I am excited to see who I will get.

I personally do not use glitter makeup. My eyes are very sensitive to glitter. I had to give away a beautiful silver eyeliner because I didn't realize it had glitter in it. I have several loose eyeshadows from subscription boxes that I have never open nor attempted to try out. I did receive a couple minis of indies from my Christmas Santa that were rather pretty.

I like to try new things but I end up going back to my faves. I am loving the Sharon and Kelly Osbourn eye palettes from MAC. I also love good products in pretty packaging. I wouldn't mind trying some Korean products. I heard they are really good.

A quick question - ladies I have a source to get "seconds" for high/mid end make up brushes...  Do you think its okay to include things like this in our packages?  The last time I was offered some (a friends works in manufacturing) I bought extras...they don't come with the packaging but a few had minor scratches on the logos or on the metal work...the actual brush was in perfect condition!  These are brushes that are usually around the $30++ mark and I sometimes am able to buy them for around $8 (including shipping).  My daughter has gotten 90% of her good brushes this way and has a few ELF brushes and some other odds and ends and I can't tell the difference between the ones that come from the store or the ones I get through my friend.

They usually have small cosmetic flaws and I have been very happy with all the brushes except one that I've gotten from here.  I picked up extras of my favorite brush and my daughter, some of her friends and my nieces and I all love using it!  

• Like 1

A quick question - ladies I have a source to get "seconds" for high/mid end make up brushes...  Do you think its okay to include things like this in our packages?  The last time I was offered some (a friends works in manufacturing) I bought extras...they don't come with the packaging but a few had minor scratches on the logos or on the metal work...the actual brush was in perfect condition!  These are brushes that are usually around the $30++ mark and I sometimes am able to buy them for around $8 (including shipping).  My daughter has gotten 90% of her good brushes this way and has a few ELF brushes and some other odds and ends and I can't tell the difference between the ones that come from the store or the ones I get through my friend.

They usually have small cosmetic flaws and I have been very happy with all the brushes except one that I've gotten from here.  I picked up extras of my favorite brush and my daughter, some of her friends and my nieces and I all love using it!

Most definitely. I think most of us could always use a new brush!!!

Thanks, for the well wishes, ladies!!  I'm feeling better and I can SEE!!   :D YAY!!  I've suffered from migraines since I was 18... no mas!!  No Mas!!  

I wish I could get everyones' Buddy out today but some of you will get them.  There is no rhyme or reason to the order in which they are going out!!  

You can start looking after 12pm.  

• Like 4

I think most of us would be totally ok with those! I definitely would be :) And lucky you for having a source for such things!

So I am new to this whole thing...how will we find out who are swapbuddie is? 

I have never heard of indie stuff....someone have a link that I could look at?  Seems super cool and  interesintg!!  Of course anything makeup I usually love <3

So I am new to this whole thing...how will we find out who are swapbuddie is?

I have never heard of indie stuff....someone have a link that I could look at? Seems super cool and interesintg!! Of course anything makeup I usually love <3

You will receive a PM with your swap recipient's information. That will not be the same person who has you for a recipient! That person is usually (but not always!) revealed when you get your package.

Indies: Just google a few of these!

Rainbow Honey (nail polish)

Glamour Doll Eyes

Geek Chic Cosmetics

Shiro Cosmetics

Espionage Cosmetics

Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (my favorite! Perfume oils, and hundreds of them)

There are many, *many* more, but these are off the top of my head.

• Like 3

Hi all!

Since assignments will be coming out shortly (YAY!) :D  :D  :D  I just wanted to make a little reminder to make sure you have a wishlist/info list up in your signature to help out your swap buddy :drive: . If you already have one up, awesome! But please make sure its updated. I know I've been bad and may have bought a thing or two off of my own list so I have to update mine!  :P 

I'm all geared up to stalk :ph34r:  and shop! Are you?!  :lol: 

• Like 6

Hi all!

Since assignments will be coming out shortly (YAY!) :D  :D  :D  I just wanted to make a little reminder to make sure you have a wishlist/info list up in your signature to help out your swap buddy :drive: . If you already have one up, awesome! But please make sure its updated. I know I've been bad and may have bought a thing or two off of my own list so I have to update mine!  :P 

I'm all geared up to stalk :ph34r:  and shop! Are you?!  :lol: 

Yes ma'am, super ready! :bandit:

@@DonnaD I actually find indies to be relatively inexpensive when compared to other brands...Full size jars of eyeshades, usually 2 grams usually run about $5-6 dollars where as 2 grams of Tarte eyeshadow is $17. But hey, everyone has different tastes :)

I agree, I don't find most indies to be any more expensive than the rest of what I buy.  The difference is that it CAN be harder to get amazing sales/steals on the Indies- I more often pay full price.

@@meaganola Oh my gosh, jealous!! I snagged a Vanishing Cabinet sub from Notoriously Morbid (her first "subscription" monthly collection AND based on The Craft!!) and also jumped at Hello Waffles 500 Likes Trio, so I can't waiiiit to get those babies in the mail. I think that Shiro Cosmetics is based out of Portland, so you could probably just go to craft faires and get all your pretties from her *jealous pout* 

Is there an indie thread on MUT somewhere??? I'd have loved to have known about these deals... though my bank account is glad I didn't...

I'd love to get these!

Ahhhhhh SO EXCITED TO GET MY PERSON!!!!

@@dancersmum ohhh, I'd be soo down for this!! Heck, I'd like to know your ~source~ heh :)

@@Babs28 so glad you feel better!! Migraines are a terrible beast!! I have silent migraines, aka everything BUT the horrific headache and I am down for the count, so I couldn't imagine adding the headache in <3 <3 

@@tulosai I'm not sure if we have an indie specific thread, but I do try and post indie sales in the enabler thread when they happen! Some are quick flash sales though and you have to be grabby hands haha. I am also a regular now on /r/indiemakeup and ergo have lost so much of my money but look/smell so pretty!

Yay I'm so excited!! Even if I don't get mine today even knowing assignments are coming is so exciting!

@DonnaD I actually find indies to be relatively inexpensive when compared to other brands...Full size jars of eyeshades, usually 2 grams usually run about $5-6 dollars where as 2 grams of Tarte eyeshadow is $17. But hey, everyone has different tastes  

Maybe it's just an assumption on my part.  To me, it's expensive for what it is.  But then, I feel the same way about Nars and $300 shoes.  I can't really even claim it's my age that prevents me from wearing glittery, funky colours.  I've always been conservative...even as a teen.

@@BSquared  Glad you're feeling better.  I had a migraine once when I was 19 when a wisdom tooth came in.  I never ever ever want to experience that hell again.

@@nikkimouse  I don't know how I missed it, but I sincerely hope he finds something quickly.

Everytime I get an email from MUT I race over to check if it's from Babs...lol nope.

I'm stalking this more then my Ipsy glam room!

Everytime I get an email from MUT I race over to check if it's from Babs...lol nope.

• Like 1