Babs28

Summerswap 2014 Discussion

Since I have started working at starbucks (alittle over a year now) I love me some coffee. I usually just drink 1 cup in the am. I love their tea as well. I like to play around with the syrups and teas. My current fav is passion lemonade no classic with raspberry syrup..yum! Sometimes I will put some strawberry juice in there. I don't like the refreshers since they have splenda in them. If I have to have artificial sweetener it is sweet and low. Weird I know. :) Also, steaming half and half with the vanilla bean powder and putting that in your coffee is awesome! I tried that thanks to my hubby.

One year in?? What are the first 3 of your numbers? My sister is a 125, I'm a (was a) 156, and the lady who trained both of us was a 256XXX yes! 6 digits!

One year in?? What are the first 3 of your numbers? My sister is a 125, I'm a (was a) 156, and the lady who trained both of us was a 256XXX yes! 6 digits!

189 but i have 7 digits..did you? My husband worked there 2008-2012 and he was 158

• Like 1

I avoid caffeinated beverages, so I don't drink coffee or tea. I know there's decaf, but that sounds silly.  :)

My style would be classic. Although, I work from home now, so I wear yoga pants quite a bit.

189 but i have 7 digits..did you? My husband worked there 2008-2012 and he was 158

I was a 7 digit! Your husband must have been hired in the summer/latter half of summer.

Baristas unite! My boyfriend and I met working there. My older sister actually trained him and I transferred in. He's so ready to quit!!

Coffee all the way!! I can't function without it. I don't really drink tea unless I'm sick but I looovvveeee iced tea! Especially sweet tea. It's a dream of mine to own a house in Georgia with a gigantic front porch where I can just sit and drink sweet tea and wave at people all day lol

• Like 4

I avoid caffeinated beverages, so I don't drink coffee or tea. I know there's decaf, but that sounds silly.   :)

Decaf is a lie!  There's still caffeine in there.  I lovelove*love* iced tea, and I'll make decaf iced tea so I can drink it all day on the weekends, but I have to stop at about 5pm because there's still enough caffeine in there to keep me awake if I drink it in the evening.

(There are non-caffeinated herbal teas that are awesome, but I'm not wild about drinking those iced.)

(I'm also a big coffee drinker.  I'm pretty sure it's genetic.  My dad, his brothers, and their dad were all timber cutters, and I think you are required to drink coffee *all day long* if you're a logger.  When I'm at work, we have a Keurig, so I use that because it's free, but when I'm home, I do pourover with freshly-ground coffee.  That started because I worked in an office that had really nasty coffee that tasted like ash, but I needed coffee, and I wasn't about to buy enough to make a whole pot at work, so I would just make one cup at a time for myself.  Then I moved, and I didn't want to waste money on a coffee maker since I wasn't working, so I just kept with the pourover thing since I already had an electric kettle, and filter holders are cheap.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the coffee preparation method I used because it was cheap and easy turned out to be the official new hipster way to do things.)

• Like 1

I was a 7 digit! Your husband must have been hired in the summer/latter half of summer.

Baristas unite! My boyfriend and I met working there. My older sister actually trained him and I transferred in. He's so ready to quit!!

After Andrew got out of the Navy he couldn't find work so he applied at starbucks and became a shift. He misses it. He is now an EMT. He quit starbucks about 2 years ago.

• Like 1

Summer swappers? Is this set of flatware cute? I love them but I feel like they're too statementy. Maybe good for parties? Someone tell me they're not cute. Oh the joys of outfitting a new residence...

http://www.saturday.com/Geometric-Flatware/098689702698,en_US,pd.html

Not my style personally, if that makes you feel better about not buying them!

• Like 1

Summer swappers? Is this set of flatware cute? I love them but I feel like they're too statementy. Maybe good for parties? Someone tell me they're not cute. Oh the joys of outfitting a new residence...

http://www.saturday.com/Geometric-Flatware/098689702698,en_US,pd.html

They are cute but, I feel like they are kinda expensive. I feel like you could get just as cute or cuter somewhere else like urban outfitters or cb2.

• Like 1

After Andrew got out of the Navy he couldn't find work so he applied at starbucks and became a shift. He misses it. He is now an EMT. He quit starbucks about 2 years ago.

I quit a year ago when I finished undergrad and started grad school. I don't feel apart from it since my boyfriend is a shift and my sisters been there for like 10 years (now it's her fun side job) as a shift too. I had a good team when I was a shift but man... Some of the things customers would do would be SO annoying and the proliferation of the "Secret Menu" items killed my soul. No, do not ask me for a captain crunch because I do not know what you want or how to make it your way. I DO know how to make a one pump toffee nut strawberries and cream though. If you want something that's secret, you should know what it is and be able to articulate what you want! >.> end rant.

But yay baristas :)

• Like 1

They are cute but, I feel like they are kinda expensive. I feel like you could get just as cute or cuter somewhere else like urban outfitters or cb2.

This.  I don't like them personally, but that is a style preference  :)  I can see where they are fun.

This. I don't like them personally, but that is a style preference :) I can see where they are fun.

Lol I actually am disliking them more and more I see them I think this is an excellent sign to put the credit card and birchbox promos away

I get one of three things at Starbucks:  Venti hazelnut mocha, venti hazelnut mocha Frappuccino with an extra shot (if I'm awake enough to remember, no whipped cream on that one because I hate whipped cream on cold drinks.  It leaves a weird film on the roof of my mouth), and a trente (is that the right word?  The really really big one) black iced tea with two Sweet'n'lows.  How annoying are those to baristas?  I actually hate Starbucks coffee unless it has chocolate and flavored syrup in it (and these things are the only time I drink sugared beverages), but it's *right next* to my office, so I end up going there every single Tuesday to get ready for a day from hell.  I might be stopping there this Monday as well because it's going to be Pain Week at work.  I'm just wondering how guilty I should feel for ordering these things.

Makeup Remover - I'm still trying to find the perfect products for me. For now, I use Simple wipes & Cetaphil cleanser.  I need to remember to pick up some of Cetaphil's new cleansing cloths!

Company/Product I want to try -  Nars. I stare at their products every time I go to Sephora.  That's the only thing I can really think of, but i'm sure there are tons of things I *need* to try...;)

Item I lust after - LUSH made Avowash (same scent as the Avobath bomb, which is my favorite LUSH product) shower gel for a limited run and I really wanted some, but it was expensive! 

Fandoms - I like a lot of things that have fandoms, but i'm more of a casual fan.  Harry Potter, Buffy, Firefly...etc. I'd love to go to Comic-Con!

My style - I'm a jeans/tshirt/sneakers kinda gal. I don't really have a style. 

Coffee/Tea - I like both!  Coffee makes me sleepy, though.  I'm a southern gal so my favorite tea is the very sweet kind. 

I get one of three things at Starbucks:  Venti hazelnut mocha, venti hazelnut mocha Frappuccino with an extra shot (if I'm awake enough to remember, no whipped cream on that one because I hate whipped cream on cold drinks.  It leaves a weird film on the roof of my mouth), and a trente (is that the right word?  The really really big one) black iced tea with two Sweet'n'lows.  How annoying are those to baristas?  I actually hate Starbucks coffee unless it has chocolate and flavored syrup in it (and these things are the only time I drink sugared beverages), but it's *right next* to my office, so I end up going there every single Tuesday to get ready for a day from hell.  I might be stopping there this Monday as well because it's going to be Pain Week at work.  I'm just wondering how guilty I should feel for ordering these things.

The hot venti hazelnut mocha is easy. frappuccinos are kinda a pain but, its because of happy hour and everyone orders one since its hot outside. BUT, yours is okay. It is not 10 different syrups with all teh drizzles and toppings we have plus a banana and whipped cream.  Your tea is the easiest because it is a tea. I love making teas and iced chai teas. They are my favorite because they are the easiest. But, you should get what you want..its your money and it is our job. If we want to witch about making a drink then I should get another job :)

• Like 1

@@meaganola yours is fine

I've had serious PITA regulars. I'm talking about please count the ice cubes in my frappucino before you blend type. Or, I want THIS much water in my chai type. And if it was too runny or too thick then I would have to remake it. This one customer also dropped the entire venti on a patio table outside and then she stood there and stared as I cleaned it up. My favorite thing I've ever heard: "you're getting frappucino on my poodle". well, don't leave your poodle under the table and ask me to clean the mess at the same time!!

Her drink was a venti 4 pump peppermint 4 pump mocha 9-11 pump roast with easy base syrup light scoop of the yellow size peppermint mocha frappucino. Oh and sometimes with whip sometimes without. But she wildnt say which. If you gave her whip on a non whip day then that would mean you'd have to remake it. She would also hover by the blenders.

another thing to not do is ask for something extra hot and no foam. I will make you wait for the foam to settle. Also, don't ask for something at 200 degrees and complain it's too hot and the milk tastes burnt. Because yes, 200 degrees is very hot. And yes, milk burns before that temperature.

lol I should quit sharing stories while I'm ahead.

In short, @@meaganola , your drinks are nothing to worry about.

@@meaganola yours is fine

I've had serious PITA regulars. I'm talking about please count the ice cubes in my frappucino before you blend type. Or, I want THIS much water in my chai type. And if it was too runny or too thick then I would have to remake it. This one customer also dropped the entire venti on a patio table outside and then she stood there and stared as I cleaned it up. My favorite thing I've ever heard: "you're getting frappucino on my poodle". well, don't leave your poodle under the table and ask me to clean the mess at the same time!!

Her drink was a venti 4 pump peppermint 4 pump mocha 9-11 pump roast with easy base syrup light scoop of the yellow size peppermint mocha frappucino. Oh and sometimes with whip sometimes without. But she wildnt say which. If you gave her whip on a non whip day then that would mean you'd have to remake it. She would also hover by the blenders.

another thing to not do is ask for something extra hot and no foam. I will make you wait for the foam to settle. Also, don't ask for something at 200 degrees and complain it's too hot and the milk tastes burnt. Because yes, 200 degrees is very hot. And yes, milk burns before that temperature.

lol I should quit sharing stories while I'm ahead.

In short, @@meaganola , your drinks are nothing to worry about.

I also love when people ask for light ice and a shot in their "frapp" and then say its too runny. REALLY? Also don't ask for no foam on a caramel macchiato. That defeats the purpose and upside down with whip. Or the people who ask for the extra "frapp" left over and then pout when someone new makes their drink and they don't know.  Yes, I think I should end rant. BUT to anyone who goes to starbucks please order all your drinks at the speaker. Don't get up to the window and order 10 more drinks and then complain that your drink is made wrong because you ordered a hot coffee instead of an iced coffee. If you don't know or have questions asked..for the love of all thing pure and holy. :)

Also, don't ask for a caramel macchiato upside down and get annoyed when I put the caramel on the bottom. That is upside down. Oh did you want a vanilla latte with caramel on top? :P

• Like 1

I'm one of the picky ones, but I never complain...I have 2 orders venti Pikes Place, extra cream and 4 splendas or venti iced coffee, light ice 4 splendas and extra cream.

If it's made right I'm in heaven and if not I grumble to myself as I only drink half. I also always get a venti ice water and I that's never a problem, except at this one Starbucks that tells me they can only give me a grande. I then tell them I'll have 2 :P

I had so 3 different roommates in college that worked there and would bring home pastries and muffins, I never had to buy breakfast. 

I've had a couple of baristas ask me if I like my mocha made a certain way, like extra sweet or with vanilla.  Unfortunately for them, they're asking at 6:30 in the morning, and all I can do is stare blankly at them, shrug, and say, "I don't know."  We're all lucky I can remember that I drink venti hazelnut mochas!

(There was one afternoon when I had to enter a custom beverage on my iPhone app and show it to the cashier because I had LOST MY VOICE and needed something icy.  Fortunately, the barista that day was someone I think recognizes me enough to know I wasn't being some demanding customer from hell.  I just needed a non-dairy non-caffeinated slushy beverage, and apple juice blended with ice was the best I could come up with since I didn't have cash for a Slurpee run, but I had money on my Starbucks card.)

A little catching up to do!

Fandom: I can't say I'm invested enough in anything to call myself part of a "fandom." (Although if the show "Wonderfalls" hadn't been tragically cancelled FAR too soon, I'm pretty sure I would be the queen of that fandom.) I guess the show I heart the most is "The Walking Dead," if that helps.

My style: I wouldn't even know how to describe my style. I live for sundresses in the summer... hate all winter clothing in general... wear big obnoxious rings, don't do a lot of necklaces, barely ever wear bracelets. Umm, I like pretty shoes? Seriously, though, I need a personal shopper because I actually hate shopping for clothing.

Coffee/tea: I have a Keurig, and I love trying new K-cups... some of my favorites are Green Mountain's Nantucket Blend, Kahlua, Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee and Macadamia Nut Cookie, and I'm always looking for the perfect hazelnut one. Before the Keurig, I pretty much lived on Eight O'Clock Coffee's vanilla coffee. I'm a night-shift nurse, so coffee is pretty much a food group. Sugar, no cream, and sorry to the Starbucks crew, but I just can't get down with the overly complicated foofy stuff that costs $8 an ounce. I try to "Keep Louisville Weird" by supporting local businesses, and we've got some great local coffeeshops where I can nerd out playing Scrabble for hours and drinking chai. Mmmm, chai. Love chai, like some herbal teas (love peppermint tea with a little honey), not big on black teas or iced tea (I think I will probably lose my Southerner membership card for saying that I can't stand sweet tea).

Is there a tread where we can watch or read past box reveals on other swaps  - just curious to see how these have worked before since I am new to this :) 

have had SO much fun shopping and spoiling my buddy...hopefully she will like all the stuff I've picked ;)