the way you react to compliments?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtnee

Courtnee
Reaction score
OK, so I was in the shower thinking of a thread to make, then a thought struck me, I wonder how people on MUT react to compliments.

Do you smile but think, no, I don't have or I am not what you just said... Ie, you are very pretty, and you think, no I'm not but you still smile anyway.

Or do you accept them and have a good level of self esteme.

I'll go first, I thank someone for the compliment but, I always think negative about myself. But I love giving others compliments, but can occasionally get offended if they disagree too much. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I always feel so awkward reply to compliments, they make me happy, but I have no idea how to respond to them other than just saying "thank you." :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I always reply with an enthusiastic Thank you! Be confident in the fact that someone cared enough to compliment you. When I compliment someone and they respond with something like "I try" it makes me feel like they don't believe that I really like whatever I complimented on. It doesn't need to turn into a conversation about the compliment but a simple thank you will be respectful of yourself and the one complimenting.

Honestly I hate being complimented.  It makes me uncomfortable because I don't know what to say :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Especially if it is from a stranger.  but has I started a youtube channel and gotten more comfort sharing the way I wear makeup etc.  I am starting to be more okay with compliments but I would still rather be the one complimenting then vice versa :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Weird I know!

You know what girls, I actually do and have the same things as you all. On one hand, I like the compliments, on the other I hate them, but I normally try to be happy and enthusiastic as much as I can.

I don't think any of your reactions are weird, in fact, I think most people have a stigma on compliments to do with themselves. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My reaction is pretty similar, I get awkward and tongue tied. I used to have a terrible habit of immediately returning the compliment and combined with my tongue-tied-ness sometimes I came back with "I like your face". 

The more I admire the person giving me the compliment the more awkward and rambling my reply. I have to practice just saying thank you and not feel under pressure to follow it up with something else.

How amazing is it that I have the same thing too. Not just saying it but... I have and do the exact same things as everyone in this thread has posted. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Its weird in a way, but I love reading how you all deal with it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am the same way. I feel very awkward and uncomfortable when people compliment my work or if I change up my look (hair cut, different facial hairstyle, a new graphic tee). I do say "thanks" or "thank you" but I feel it comes across as awkward. 

Even when an actor / model is right next to me, and people are complimenting my work, I can tell that the actress is a bit awkward or is it embarrassed??? by the compliments. Interestingly, they never say anything in response.

It depends who sis giving me the compliment and what kind of compliment. My husband's I take serious and think he is sweet and I react nicely. With co-workers it depends, I am a sarcastic person and sometimes I feel awkward and make a sarcastic comment. With friends I usually say thank you, sometimes blush or have a sarcastic comment.

Back