Favourites and Hate-its by Brand

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turntrekgodhead

Lipstick Lesbian
Reaction score
No brand is perfect. Even ones with a range of amazing, versatile products will come out with a dud every once in a while. And then there are some that reverse that standard- junky brands with crappy products that somehow come out with one amazing staple. Some brands are hit and miss.

Think of a few brands you normally purchase, drugstore or high-end. Now name your top favourite product from those brands (just one per brand!) and your least favourite, or most disappointing.

For instance:

RIMMEL-
Favourite: 60 second nail polish.
Hate-it: Scandaleyes shadow stick in White.

Nice idea!

BENEFIT-

Favorite: They're Real! Mascara

Hate it: Creaseless Cream Eyeshadows (I know some people love them, but I currently have three that have been used MAYBE once- just not a fan!)

No brand is perfect. Even ones with a range of amazing, versatile products will come out with a dud every once in a while. And then there are some that reverse that standard- junky brands with crappy products that somehow come out with one amazing staple. Some brands are hit and miss.

Think of a few brands you normally purchase, drugstore or high-end. Now name your top favourite product from those brands (just one per brand!) and your least favourite, or most disappointing.

For instance:

RIMMEL-

Favourite: 60 second nail polish.

Hate-it: Scandaleyes shadow stick in White.
I can't stand the 60 second nail polish....mostly because I hate chipped polish and they chip like mad. But they are good if you want to switch up your polish everyday....they only last about 2 days at most.

Last edited by a moderator:
too faced:

love: the eye primer

hate: well I don't hate them but the eyeshadows from ttheir holoday palette do not stay on very well.

Nice idea!

BENEFIT-

Favorite: They're Real! Mascara

Hate it: Creaseless Cream Eyeshadows (I know some people love them, but I currently have three that have been used MAYBE once- just not a fan!)
YES THIS!!! For me, first thing that came to my head:

Covergirl

Love it: Clump crusher mascara, Outlast Stay Fabulous 3 in 1 foundation

Hate it: Eyeshadows, TruBlend foundation

MUFE:

Love it: Face and Body foundation, their lipsticks

Hate It: AQUA POTS. Worse than the benefit cream shadows, IMO. They just do not work on me

YES to that Rimmel shadow stick! I got one hoping to use it as a shadow base, and it's useless!

Hmm, let's see.

Maybelline - Love: Baby Lips, Color Whispers, Dream Matte Mousse Foundation. HATE: EYESHADOWS.

Urban Decay: Love: Eyeshadows and liners and lipsticks. HATE: Naked Skin Beauty Balm

NYX: Love: all the lip products I've tried. HATE: Eyeshadows!

I can't stand the 60 second nail polish....mostly because I hate chipped polish and they chip like mad. But they are good if you want to switch up your polish everyday....they only last about 2 days at most.
I am a woman of little patience, tight wallet and difficulty when making decisions, so they're perfect for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  What's the longest-wearing polish you've ever used?

YES to that Rimmel shadow stick! I got one hoping to use it as a shadow base, and it's useless!
Yeah, same. They never sell NYX Milk around here, and the Rimmel was on sale and I'd heard that the Scandaleyes Kohl liner was amazing. The same is not to be said for this stick. Blugh.

Ah well ... fodder for a "products I regret buying" post, I guess.

I am a woman of little patience, tight wallet and difficulty when making decisions, so they're perfect for me. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  What's the longest-wearing polish you've ever used?
I've been doing Sensational Gel Nails. They're brilliant for keeping a manicure in place for a couple of weeks and stay on your toes for like months at a time. But, to be honest, it's been so hard on my toes. I don't know if its because it stays so long on your toes (not as long on your fingernails). I've also been Irish dancing again, so maybe this is also weakening my toenails? Anyway, to be gross, I pulled my pedicure off last night with the intention to redo it, and literally HALF of one of my toenails came off. It didn't hurt, it just looks gross. So...I'm gonna let that grow out a bit before I do it again. 

These are my two most-purchased high-end brands, so I will go with:

Too Faced

Love: Primed & Poreless loose powder (my HG)

Hate: The mascaras (all of them!)

Hourglass

Love: Film Noir mascara and Veil Mineral Primer (both of these I have repurchased a couple of times)

Hate: Immaculate foundation (there is no one color that matches my skin, and it is too full coverage for my taste)

My drugstore choices:

L'Oreal

Love: Magic Lumi Highlighter (returned Touche Eclat after buying this, I like it much better for brightening)

Hate: True Match/True Match Lumi (urgh, I know lots of people like this, it just didn't suit me)

Rimmel

Love: Show Off (Apocalips) Lip Laquer

Hate: The mascaras (I am sooo picky about mascara and foundation, it makes my life difficult <_< )

What fun!

Drugstore
Maybelline Loves: Baby Lips, Full and Soft mascara, lipsticks, Eye Studio gel liners Hates: Great Lash mascara, foundation stick

L'Oreal Loves: Voluminous Original mascara, True Match powder, Hates: lipstick, that smell kills me

Revlon Loves: Lip Butters, Just Bitten lipstick, nail polish Hates: Color Stay products, mascara

ELF Loves: Lipsticks, Lip Crayon, lip gloss, brushes, eye primer Hates: foundation, mascara

Mid to High End

Clinique Loves: Lipstick, lipgloss, nail polish Hates: skincare, fragrance

Estee Lauder Loves: lipsticks, lipgloss, eyeshadows, powder, eyeliner, mascaras Hates: skincare

MAC Loves: foundation, powder, lipstick, lip gloss Hates: wipes, skincare

Urban Decay Loves: eyeshadow, lipstick, eyeliners and lip pencils Hates: foundation

Stila Loves: eyeshadows, lipgloss, eye liners,  Hates: mascara

Tarte:

Love--Amazonian blushes, airbrush powder foundation, lipsurgence products

Hate--gel cheek stains, mascara

Too-Faced:

Love--Shadow Insurance, eyeshadows

Hate--bronzers & blushes

NYX:

Love--Eyeshadow singles, jumbo eye pencils

Hate--Lip butter, even though I seem to be the only one

Smashbox:

Love--CC Cream, stick concealer

Hate--Primer, Halo powder

MUFE:

Love--HD foundation, Mat Velvet foundation, silica finishing powder

Hate--Lip products

Urban Decay: 

Love: Primer Potion, eyeshadows

Hate: Anti-Aging Primer Potion, Naked Beauty Balm

Sorry to post so many times, I keep thinking of new products

Chanel

Love: Vitalumiere Aqua Foundation

Hate: Chanel No. 5 (Must be the only person in the world again)

Dior

Love: Lipglosses

Hate: Dior Show Mascara
It's probably so cliched to say this but Vitalumiere Aqua is my HG foundation. I love, LOVE the sheer finish and how lightweight it feels on the skin!

I also totally agree about the Dior Show - I get sucked in and buy a tube every time they come out with a new formula and none of them have ever worked on me. Then I kick myself for falling for the lure! <_<

Benefit:

LOVE: They're Real mascara (at least for the first 3 months after opening)

HATE: It's Potent, which should have been named It's Going To Make You Want to Rip Out Your EYES AHHH AHHH THE BURNING...

Pacifica

LOVE: Body washes and lotions

HATE: Color Quench Lip Tint

Tarte

LOVE: Be Mattenificent palette

HATE: Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara -- Smart? Uh, no. It literally disappears off my lashes. 

Urban Decay

LOVE: Eyeshadows, Revolution lipstick

HATE: ESPP - it used to be my HG, damnit, what happened?, Glide-On Eye Pencils (Glide-OFF, more likely. Gah, the bleeding is atrocious.) 

MIXED FEELINGS: Naked Skin BB. It did wonderful things for my skin and didn't go orangey on me, but it's just a skosh offshade now, no matter what I did. Le sigh.

Latest posts

Back