Everyday Makeup. Yay or Nay?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm 17 and I wear makeup every time I exit my house because I'm that self conscious. I wash my face every night and every day however my mother still nags at me that I'm going to regret this when I'm her age. I take care of my skin and am tedious about the ingredients in the products I use but she is still on my case. Is what she says true regardless of what I do? Should I just suck it up and not wear makeup so much?

If you are taking care of your skin and washing it, keeping it clean, I am not sure why wearing makeup daily would cause problems.

I wear makeup daily (except when I am sick!) and I haven't any aging issues due to that.

Not to go against your mom, but makeup won't "ruin" your skin. Not drinking water and not using sunscreen are the biggest problems. As long as you remove everything the 10 or so hours your skin is makeup free is enough.

*I'm from Sunny Cali, in my late 30's and was a total beach bum, I always use sunscreen and not a wrinkle in sight...my girlfriends who are all a little younger then me have lots, they don't use sunscreen daily. That's the best way to protect your face. But don't forget your neck and hands, lots of women have procedures to fix their face but the hands will tell the true story.

Last edited by a moderator:
 It's less about the makeup than your self-esteem. You really do not want to imprint on your brain that you can never go outside without makeup. Makeup just enhances our own natural beauty, you wear the makeup, don't let the makeup wear you.

I've worn makeup every day since I was 13 and it hasn't hurt my skin. Makeup improves my self esteem and gives me confidence. I wear makeup because I feel monochromatic without it. Makeup gives me color and that makes me cheerful. As long as you're taking care of your skin, cleansing, exfoliating etc. and using sunscreen, you should be okay.

To be honest it comes down to what makes you feel comfortable. There is no right or wrong answer, there is nothing inherently wrong with wearing makeup everyday (as long as you're cleansing properly, which it sounds like you are). My only worry would be that you're wearing it because you feel self-conscious. If you have low self-esteem it's worth addressing that, maybe chatting with friends/family, or if necessary, popping to your GP. But makeup - wearing it or not wearing it - is not really the issue. Maybe sit down with your mum and explain to her that you feel more comfortable wearing it, explain that it doesn't do your skin any harm, and she might stop pestering you. 

Daisy xxx

You all will prob hate me, but, I have heard from many sources that makeup does (overtime) ruin and damage your skin.

It is the ingredients and the amount of times that its used.

There are many theories but... I guess its up to you for what you believe and go off of. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You all will prob hate me, but, I have heard from many sources that makeup does (overtime) ruin and damage your skin.

It is the ingredients and the amount of times that its used.

There are many theories but... I guess its up to you for what you believe and go off of. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I'm with you in this. I also personally think that wearing makeup on daily basis will do any good. 

Cool, I thought heaps of people would say or think, what does she know, she doesn't even wear makeup.

Basically, makeup to me is something for fun and looks, not (for me personally anyway) a daily basis thing.

But do not get me wrong, I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH SELF ESTEME TOO.

If you are using good makeup and skincare it's not going to damage your skin.

She might mean that you will regret wearing makup during the years your skin looked good natural, that's all.

I personally believe makeup everyday is beneficial to the skin if it has good ingredients and sunscreen. It's a barrier between your skin and the damaging elements and pollutants outside.

I am totally agree with your mom. Wearing makeup daily will really  create problem for your skin at early stages only like acne problem, signs of aging and wrinkles will start developing. So, it will be better if you apply makeup occassionally only.

I don't believe that makeup ages your skin. The SPF in foundation alone probably saves many, many women age spots and wrinkles. Mascara isn't going to age you, lipstick isn't aging neither is eyeshadow or eyeliner. You are more likely to get wrinkles from aggressive scrubbing the skin IMO or tugging the skin during application. Then there are BB creams that combine moisturizers, serums, and foundation all in one that can be beneficial. 

My tips are like the others drink water, sunscreen, wash makeup off before bed, and gently apply cosmetics, no tugging. 

I'm an esthetician and I've never heard of make up aging the skin. Some products even have SPF in them to help give you extra protection. If you're taking care of your skin and washing it every night I don't think you have anything to worry about. What rachel2010 said. No tugging! This will help you down the road!

It obviously isn't as good for your skin as not wearing any but i feel your pain on feeling like you can't even go out of the house without makeup on. I use to be the same way but now I realize that if I have some acne on my face or a few scars is it really that big of a deal? I wear makeup because I like doing it and it makes me feel better about myself, not to impress anyone else. Maybe just try doing less and less foundation and then maybe switch to just a concealer, that helped my skin out a lot! Just remember you are beautiful with or without makeup! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's okay to wear makeup often, but i recommend to be one day of the week without makeup. You need to let your skin breathe sometimes  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I never leave the house without makeup   haven't in many years.  I have been wearing tons of makeup since my teens.   Maybe to much makeup sometimes but  I love makeup

[SIZE=10.5pt]Well... let's put it this way....  all kinds of make up do have some chemical ingredients in it .. which is ‘not so good’ to your skin… I think it’s the fact that everybody knows about it… but how badly it will ‘damage’ your skin really depends on how you protect it at the first place. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Many scientific research shown that the UVA and UVB are the dominate caused of wrinkles , sunspots or even leads to skin cancer. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]So definitely put on sunscreen to protect your skin and it is very important to put on make up base before putting on any make up… then i guess you are all good ~ : ) [/SIZE]

Makeup always harm our skin.... also it is not a solution of any skin problem.. it just hide that...

That's why I prefer home made remedies and natural herbal products only... I love skin solutions not makeup...

Here is a product I am experienced with. [SIZE=10pt]Jarvis Cosmetics (JARVISCOSMETICS DOT COM)... It will help in all type of skin type... and in approx 90% skin problems...[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back