Have you ever found a HG via a sub box?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dancersmum

shopaholic
Reaction score
Hi all

I was just curious as I know many of us sub to multiple boxes...if you had to list  item/brand introduced from each of your subs that have become staples in your house what would you say they are?

For me:

Glossybox - Tarte Cosmetics & beauty blender win this one!

Ipsy - Pacifica (body lotions and scents that my daughter can indulge in without giving me a migraine)

Birchbox - Juice Beauty and theBalm tie here 

Blush - REN 

I am curious to see if anyone else has any HG brands/items that they have found via sub boxes.  

I've since cut down to just Glossy & Ipsy and will probably cut back further as soon as my subs run out as I think I'm all subbed out at the moment.  

My daughter would say the following from her favorites:

Glossybox - LCL from Tarte

Ipsy - Urban Decay & Pacifica

Birchbox - theBalm

I think I have had more luck with my sub boxes discovering new loves than via GWP and freebies from Sephora - but that maybe that I have a tendency to collect freebies of items I already love like Clinique Black honey and mini LCL mascaras!

I have one HG that I sampled in Birchbox - the Serious Skincare set.  I got the Glycolic Gommage Exfoliating Facial in a box and when I tried it, it felt like I was putting gritty sand on my face and I really didn't even think I would like it at all.  I let it dry and then washed it off and my face felt and looked amazing.  I ended up saving my BB points and bought the entire line (cleanser, pads, serum and cream) and I use it almost everyday.  I have a bad case of melasma and this has helped a TON in toning it down and just making my face feel the best it's felt since I was a teenager!

From Lip Factory: 29 Cosmetics mascara, lipsticks, lipgloss and lip treatment. Teeeze Cosmetics eyeshadow, lipstick, lipgloss, mascara and eyeliner, Sweetpea & Fay lip thingy that  remind me of OOC liptars, light-up lipglosses from a brand I can't recall off-hand. Basically I find new HG items from nearly every Lip Factory box

Birch Box: Dr Jart's Black Label Detox BB cream, Dr Jart's Cerimidin cream & lotion, Eyeko Skinny Liner, Color Club nail polishes (several colors), Coastal Scents Reveal palette just off the top of my head

Ipsy: Nailtini polishes, Zoya polishes, Chella eyeliner, Demeter Jasmine, Mirabella blending brush

Birchbox: Twistbands

BVLGARI Omnia Crystalline my signature scent

Chella highlighter pencil

Beauty Blender/cleanser

Not necessarily the products but I now love the following brands because I used them in a birchbox and experimented: Miss Jessie's hair products, derma e, theBalm

Glossybox:

Burberry lip mist in Copper 202 (my perfect nude)

C. Booth Almond honey body mist

Figs and Rouge balm

Koh Gen Doh Cleansing Spa water

Mark lipstick in petal pink (my perfect pink)

Ipsy:

MyGlam pink brushes (still use them almost every day 2 years later)

DermStore lip quench

theBalm What's your type mascara in BodyBuilder

Le Metier de Beaute

I LOVE all of their products but they can't be my HG because of cost. 

Starlooks

Barbie pink HD blush (I don't think they make it anymore. Good thing a dot goes a long way)

Last edited by a moderator:
I only sub to Birchbox, but I have a few :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Balm-Hot Mama blush

Eyeko-Skinny Liner

Revlon-Colorburst lippies (from a drugstore finds? box), I like them better than the Tarte ones.

Marula oil--the product they sent me was really expensive, but it turned me on to using Marula oil that I found much cheaper thanks to MUT ladies pointing me in the direction of Shea Terra :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Glossybox

Lights, Camera, Flashes Statement Mascara. I love this mascara so much. I don't know that I will ever go back. I don't even try other mascara samples I receive anymore. 

Birchbox

Miss Jessie's. Love their curly hair products!

Evologie. Love this line for acne-prone skin.

The Boo-Boo concealer from the May Ipsy is my new favorite find. Since I got eaten alive by bugs this weekend I'm super thankful I have it.

Beauty Box 5: Epic Blend Lip Balm (the only lip balm I ever care to use), Jane's Pick (revolutionized my shaving routine), Harvey Prince's Hello (one of the only scents I've ever liked), 24Clearit (not quite a HG, but it's up there)

Memebox: Tony Moly Delight Lip Tint - Red (great colour, though I wish it was more hydrating), Nuganics Customize Sun Block SPF 50 PA+++ (finally, a sun block that feels good on my skin)

Saffron Rouge: Living Nature Mascara (it doesn't volumize as well as other mascaras, which I actually prefer -- and no clumps!)

Ipsy: I've only received one bag, but I did like the Boo-boo concealer. It's just a touch too light to be a definitive HG -- I think I'd love the darker shade, though.

Ooh, I love this thread!

Birchbox

Shea Terra Rose Hips Black Soap

Harvey Prince perfumes (Hello and Eau Flirt, especially!)

Coola Cucumber moisturizer (my favorite sunscreen for my face, by far).

theBalm Hot Mama blush

Glossybox:

Tarte Lights Camera Flashes mascara

Ellis Faas Glazed Lips

Ipsy:

Jesse's Girl liquid liner

Pacifica Blood Orange

@ - I'd forgotten about Derma e and Chella!  Think it was Birchbox that gets the credit for one and Ipsy the other (even though I also got the Chella from Blush - Ipsy was first).

I love hearing people getting products that they love...makes me want to try them though  Also helps renew my faith in sub boxes because there are times I feel all subbed out!

Hoping hearing about them will help me make smarter decisions when I do buy!  @@Meggpi - are those the matte ones you love?  I've got 2 coming and I'm really excited about trying them.

I found a few, all through Birchbox:

Vasanti Brighten Up

Miracle Skin Transformer - Lotion/Primer and Concealer

Ahava Mineral Hand Cream

Eau d'Hadrien Perfume

Ooh, I love this thread!

Birchbox

Shea Terra Rose Hips Black Soap

Harvey Prince perfumes (Hello and Eau Flirt, especially!)

Coola Cucumber moisturizer (my favorite sunscreen for my face, by far).

theBalm Hot Mama blush

Glossybox:

Tarte Lights Camera Flashes mascara

Ellis Faas Glazed Lips

Ipsy:

Jesse's Girl liquid liner

Pacifica Blood Orange
That Pacifica Blood orange was our intro to the world pacifica - my daughters bathroom is now filled with Pacifica!

@@SammyP - vasanti....hmmmm I do believe I have that sample somewhere = will  have to pull it out try!

Crema shave cream. I can't remember if it came from a Glossybox or Birchbox, but it was a while ago. I'm still using it; it takes so little to do an underarm, and not much more to do a leg. I was so thrilled to finally find it at a local store, because I'm just about through with the very generous tube I received!

I am sure there are quite a bit because I have been doing birchbox for so long but the only one that comes to mind is actually from my April Sample Society box - Butter London black liner!!  OMG - I have gone out and bought a liner in every color.  This liner is SO compared to UD and Too Face liners - it is SO good!

This is an awesome question :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ipsy introduced me to Nyx, which I would have probably not bought at the drugstore because I didn't realize how awesome it would be. And the City Color blushes are my HG blush for sure...such big pans and the colors are as good as expensive blush on me.  I also really love Pacifica, Chella and Zoya products, which I wouldn't have bought if not for Ipsy.  

My other sub is Starlooks...I unfortunately haven't found any HG items from this sub, and I'm cancelling after 3 months. It's a fun sub but financially I can't do it right now. 

Off the top of my head, these are my faves.  I've bought full-size of all of them or traded for them (some multiple times). 

Beauty Blender (BB)

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum (GB)

byTerry eye cream (SS)

Algenist cream and lotion (BB)

Zoya nail polish (BB)

Kerastase Elixir Ultime (BB)

Oscar Blandi Mousse (BB or SS, or maybe both)

Boscia BB Creme (BB)

Glossybox: 
Sleek Pout Paint (lovely colors, nice pigmentations and stays on forever)  :wub:  
Egyptian Magic All purpose cream - Really nice cream for dry legs, elbows etc. 

Bliss Fabulous Foaming Cleanser - Haven't tried anything from this brand before we got it in a Glossybox and I fell in love with this product. It has tiny exfoliating bits in it and cleanses your skin so well. And i love the candy-like smell. This product made my try their toner, scrub (for the body), body lotions, hand cream and now most recently their Lid and lash makeup remover. Just amazing brand overall!!  :wub:  

St Moriz Selftan lotion - This gave me such a pretty color and glow. Comparable to St tropez in my opinion. 

Memebox:
Dear By Enprani Cheese Cream - Moisturizes my skin so well without leaving a greasy layer behind. 

Tonymoly Silky Smooth Balm - This is the best primer I've ever used. And I've tried alot of high end brands too. Makes your foundation/bb cream go on so smooth! And the packaging is just adorable - it's egg shaped!

Gokmul Care Cleansing Masque - This is a scrub, cleanser or mask all in one depending on how you use it. I hated the smell at first; a coffee kinda smell. But now it's fine. Leaves my skin soft to the touch!

LJH Tea Tree Essence - I use this daily and have gotten less breakouts since starting to use this. Love that it doesn't smell of tea tree as I really hate that smell. 

Wish we had more subscription boxes here too.. Only two I can get is memebox and glossybox  :unsure:

@@yousoldtheworld - can I ask more about black soap?  I keep hearing about it and I'm tempted to get some for my kids.  They don't have the greatest habits when it comes to keeping their faces clean (pre teen boys) and was wondering why you like it!

Thanks

From Birchbox I found Embryolisse Lait-Creme moisturizer. It's amazing! I now have a large tube of it that seems like it would last forever.

Back