Mascara - your favourite and worst!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I never used to wear mascara, but over the years I've started using them more often. Whether its a drug store brand, or higher end brands, what has been your favourite mascara, and your worst?!

For me, I absolutely love buxom lash by bare escentuals. I also recently tried the falsies by maybelline and liked the look it gave me.

Ones I've hated are they're real and bad gal lash both by benefit. I also am not a fan of lancome hypnose.

I love the green covergirl one with the extensions on it. I usually don't like mascara with the fibers in it, but this one isn't bad at all. I didn't mean to buy this one, I thought I was buying the normal one, but I'm glad I did! I love the shape of the brush too! One I hate is the yellow Maybeline one. My sister swears by it but I felt like it clumped my lashes together. I layer on my mascara so that was a no go!

I used to LOVE the benefit one. But since they came out with the rubber wands I can't go back!

I don't have much of a contribution to this topic but I will stick around to read about other suggestions. I have not found a great mascara. All have been clumpy and sticky. Perhaps I apply it wrong?

I have tried MAC and Estee Lauder. 

I will definitely look into buxom lash by bare essentials. Thanks, @deidrexo. 

I've found that Estee Lauder Sumptuos works great for me without clumping. I can apply many coats without problems. My new favorite is Dior Lash-It or more of muted look for day time. I get no flaking and no clumping.

I also Luv buxom lash - I got it a year ago in my popsugar box & I've been a fan ever since. I also like they're Real by benefit. I judge a mascara by volume - I like my lashes to look like falsies- long & thick. Anyone else have any good suggestions- I'm always looking for the next best thing,,, it's a problem I know.. ;-)

Currently my favorite is Film Noir by Hourglass. Second runner up is le Volume de Chanel. For drugstore I am really, really liking the new Miss Manga by L'Oreal, more so than I have liked any drugstore mascara in a long time. That one is definitely more length than volume, though.

I abhor They're Real by Benefit. I had a sample tube and after jabbing myself in the eye for the tenth time and only getting clumpy lashes I tossed it with no regrets.

I have a few favorites. Drugstore: L'oreal Voluminous Original  and for a softer less dramatic look Maybelline Full and Soft

High end : 29 Cosmetics , Estee Lauder, Lancome and Teeeze

Worst: Maybelline Great Lash, Pixi, ELF, Covergirl ,

Drugstore fav: L'Oreal Voluminous (and especially the Miss Manga formula they just released)

Higher end favs: Buxom; Too Faced Better than Sex (it's not, but it's a damn fine mascara)

I just got the lash sampler from Sephora, hoping to discover more good ones. I really hate Lancome and Benefit (they just don't give me the volume I want without clumping and smearing). Clinique is not bad, and I like Laura Mercier too.

I have long lashes, so I look for volumizing formulas that aren't very heavy. I want to have flexible, flake-free, and well defined lashes for regular day wear.

I have never bought high end mascara. But I love Loreal's Miss Manga & Butterfly mascaras. Surprisingly, I also love Black Radiance Volumizing mascara. It works so well & doesn't flake off like a lot of mascaras I've used do.

Selena

I also Luv buxom lash - I got it a year ago in my popsugar box & I've been a fan ever since. I also like they're Real by benefit. I judge a mascara by volume - I like my lashes to look like falsies- long & thick. Anyone else have any good suggestions- I'm always looking for the next best thing,,, it's a problem I know.. ;-)
I find they're real doesn't give me any volume. The maybelline falsies gives me more volume than benefit does. I've heard better than sex is a good brand.

Currently my favorite is Film Noir by Hourglass. Second runner up is le Volume de Chanel. For drugstore I am really, really liking the new Miss Manga by L'Oreal, more so than I have liked any drugstore mascara in a long time. That one is definitely more length than volume, though.

I abhor They're Real by Benefit. I had a sample tube and after jabbing myself in the eye for the tenth time and only getting clumpy lashes I tossed it with no regrets.
I splurged and bought the full size tube of they're real and it was an immediate regret. I think the formula is terrible. Either my lashes look like I have only 5 by clumping, or they spread out and my lashes look thin. I use it on and off (while cursing it) because I can't bring myself to throw it out. I keep thinking maybe the next time will be better, and it never is!

I don't have much of a contribution to this topic but I will stick around to read about other suggestions. I have not found a great mascara. All have been clumpy and sticky. Perhaps I apply it wrong?

I have tried MAC and Estee Lauder. 

I will definitely look into buxom lash by bare essentials. Thanks, @deidrexo. 
I've learned that if I'm layering it on I need to wait about a minute between coats so it doesn't clump together. Maybe there is too much product on the wand, try wiping some off and see if it helps :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a few favorites. Drugstore: L'oreal Voluminous Original  and for a softer less dramatic look Maybelline Full and Soft

High end : 29 Cosmetics , Estee Lauder, Lancome and Teeeze

Worst: Maybelline Great Lash, Pixi, ELF, Covergirl ,
Oh man, the ELF one I got was HORRIBLE. I used it once then went to look at it a month later and it was all dried up. What a waste of $3!

I really like Clinique High Impact Mascara, the Victoria Secret Triple Drama Mascara, and the buxom one. These three give me the type of lashes that I like (not clumpy, very defining, a little length, a little volume....overall just nice girly lashes). I like the Maybelline the Rocket Volume waterproof mascara, but man can it be a pain to remove. I mostly end up wearing this one for sport-type activities.

I dislike the Benefit They're Real and the Maybelline Clump Crusher. Both have wands that hurt my eyes to apply due to the plastic-y wand. The benefit formula was not the style of lashes I like and the clump crusher one flaked off into my eyes throughout the day. I also dislike the Pure 100% fruit mascara. It smelled like a dirty baby diaper. :/ 

Oh man, the ELF one I got was HORRIBLE. I used it once then went to look at it a month later and it was all dried up. What a waste of $3!
I forgot how horrible ELF mascara is too. I also got EM cosmetics lash gallery in an ipsy bag. It did nothing for my lashes but give me raccoon eyes.

I splurged and bought the full size tube of they're real and it was an immediate regret. I think the formula is terrible. Either my lashes look like I have only 5 by clumping, or they spread out and my lashes look thin. I use it on and off (while cursing it) because I can't bring myself to throw it out. I keep thinking maybe the next time will be better, and it never is!
This is exactly what happened to me with my sample tube! I kept using it, thinking that if so many people liked it, I must be missing something and it just never worked for me. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Favorite is a brand Makeuptalk won't let me type. (No I don't sell it. Actual opinion. I'm not advertising for anyone)

Love: theBalm Body Builder, Jordana Black and purple tube

Hate: Great Lash, Blinc (actual worst mascara ever)

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like Clinique High Impact Mascara, the Victoria Secret Triple Drama Mascara, and the buxom one. These three give me the type of lashes that I like (not clumpy, very defining, a little length, a little volume....overall just nice girly lashes). I like the Maybelline the Rocket Volume waterproof mascara, but man can it be a pain to remove. I mostly end up wearing this one for sport-type activities.

I dislike the Benefit They're Real and the Maybelline Clump Crusher. Both have wands that hurt my eyes to apply due to the plastic-y wand. The benefit formula was not the style of lashes I like and the clump crusher one flaked off into my eyes throughout the day. I also dislike the Pure 100% fruit mascara. It smelled like a dirty baby diaper. :/ 
I agree that the reason I hate Benefit They're Real is that plasticity wand! I hate it! 

Back