Dealing with shiny skin throughout the day!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I wasn't really sure where to post this, so if I should do so somewhere else, let me know! I have currently gotten my acne under control and I am just left with some hyperpigmentation marks. I have decided to stop wearing any face makeup, because it generally just doesn't agree or sit well on my skin, whether it be liquid, cream, mineral... anything really. I've been dealing with a lot of shininess though. I have blotting papers that I use throughout the day, but I am constantly using them. I do still moisturize because my skin is very dry at the same time too. Like, I will be super shiny in my t-zone, but have little flakes around my nose from being so dry. I have a very diligent skin care regimen, and it is what has cleared my acne, so I'm not looking to change that, but I was wondering if there were any products like a mattifying gel or primer that would be ideal for use on its own instead of under makeup? I've seen a few, but always run the other direction because they are definitely not suited for my acne prone skin! 

Thanks in advance! 

Glo minerals makes a translucent powder that I use when I get shine through out the day. Before I put my make up on I use the Smashbox photo finish primer in the green tube. If I wait a few hours I can tell that my skin isn't shiny like it would be without the primer.

Since you don't want to wear any makeup on your face per se, I would recommeng using silica powder. Silica is a substance that absorbs moisture and oil. What you want is pure silica powder - nothing else added. It will apply on your skin clear.

NYX now makes a pure silica powder:

http://www.nyxcosmetics.com/p-169-studio-finishing-powder.aspx

I think it will do what you want, and what's nice is that you'll be able to reapply it during the day if necessary and it won't look cakey (always blot before reapplying).

Oh, and BTW....good for you for still using a moisturizer! Moisture (water) and oil are two entirely different things (many women who have oily skin think they don't need moisturizer. Wrong!).

Moisturizers do not add moisture to the skin (moisture has to come from within, hence the "drink 8 glasses of water per day" rule). Moisturizer helps to slow the evaporation of moisture from the skin. So, it's always best to apply moisturizer to damp skin.

If you have oily skin, look for 'noncomedogenic' or 'nonacnegenic' moisturizers, not necessarily those labeled "oil-free". The problem with products labeled "oil free" is that they CAN contain synthetic oils, just not natural oils. So always read your ingredient labels and know what you're buying.

I have oily skin (in the T-zone) and recently I started using the Lorac porefection primer and it's great! It's a mattifying primer but I also wear it without makeup. I apply it only in my T-zone because it makes the dry patches on my cheeks stand out more if I apply it all over my face. I also have acne-prone skin and it doesn't seem to cause breakouts :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back