I'm supposed to be a minimalist...but I'm a perfectionist with collector's tendencies!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone else have that problem where you want to build the perfect kit?

I want to make everything perfect: my travel kit, my purse, my vanity, my chest-of-drawers, just everything!

I also want to have a small, curated collection of makeup that is perfect for me.

But what happens to doom this all into having instead, a bunch of jumbled bags of things I can't keep track of?

I somehow keep seeing something that would be BETTER, something that will make my kit PERFECT, a product that will be THE ONE.

Eugh!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Maybe you think you just need to get one good lip stain and that's it , and you think you've found the perfect one.... but then it's just... not.

AHHHHH! I feel like I'm OCD or something!

I would consider myself a minimalist and I think it would be nice to have a perfect collection of skin care and makeup products that works just for me. 

Unfortunately, I have not found such perfect products; although, I do usually only buy one foundation at a time (pretending that it's the perfect match for me) because I really don't like to not use a product. I like to use up everything! 

However, new products are very exciting. 

I can relate! I have the same problem and the worst is I'm kind of OCD with makeup and I don't like to see my makeup items running out! I don't like hitting pan on a product ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I would consider myself a minimalist and I think it would be nice to have a perfect collection of skin care and makeup products that works just for me. 

Unfortunately, I have not found such perfect products; although, I do usually only buy one foundation at a time (pretending that it's the perfect match for me) because I really don't like to not use a product. I like to use up everything! 

However, new products are very exciting. 
I agree, having a perfectly-curated collection of skincare, haircare, and makeup items that worked perfectly for me would be my dream.

I think I've gotten pretty close to the perfect skincare items for myself, but I'm nowhere near that for makeup or hair.

I think I'm mainly just searching for the perfect mascara, eyebrow pencil/powder/cream/mousse, lipstick, and eyeliner. Oh, and lip stain. Hahaha!

And yes, new products coming out all the time, and freebies with purchase don't help, because I always think I have to buy to get the freebies because... although I'd never spend money on the freebies myself, I somehow think it's a great deal and that I have to get it. That might be my collecting tendencies right there.

I can relate! I have the same problem and the worst is I'm kind of OCD with makeup and I don't like to see my makeup items running out! I don't like hitting pan on a product ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Hehehe, I am a bit OCD with  my makeup, as well as other areas in my life, including skincare big time!

But I do like finishing products because I get to re-buy them with no guilt. Mwhahah!

You know what would be fun?

If we had a contest where people described their ideal, curated set of makeup and skincare and ... well, ok, I don't know how that could be turned into a contest, but whatever, hahah!

Haha that would be fun! But it might tempt me to buy everything that people are listing because I still don't have an ideal set of makeup :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yes! That's me. I am on a constant quest for the ultimate product(s). That saying, that "the best is the enemy of the good?" That's my issue. I have tons of perfectly fine, lovely products...but maybe the next one will be EVEN BETTER! It's a problem. Particularly for lip products and foundation...I think because both of those have so much skincare rolled into their job. There are a lot more variables to work with.

Hahaha I'm the same way, BUT I also have this terrible need to finish everything to the last bit. I hate throwing stuff out and love using it up. Ladies with hoards of barely touched things confound me - that would drive me insane... And yet here I am, reaching the first thresholds of just backlogs of items to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late to the game on this thread but I am totally like that. It's taken me a couple of years to realize it. I'm getting to my capsule makeup collection. Instead of listing the products that I have "settled on", so as not to enable other, I listing the categories that I am satisfied in. I have my "perfect":

1. Daily facial sunscreen

2. Anti aging treatment

3. Moisturizer

4. Toner

5. Mascara

6. Under eye concealer

7. Concealer for blemishes

8. Setting powder

9. Eyeshadow primer

10. Setting spray

11. Eyebrow powder

Everything else (color products), I'm still on the hunt for and have lots of multiples in my collection. One day I hope to have 3 blushes (pink, peach, plum), 3 lippies (red, neutral, sheer color), 1 highlighter, 1 bronzer, 2 eyeshadow palettes (neutral & jewel tones), 4 nail polish (1 for each season), 3 fragrance (everyday, church, fancy going out). Then life would be perfect.

I think sometimes minimalism is about living in the moment and coming to terms with what is. It's about letting go of desire and being willing to let go of things that aren't serving you in your life - starting with physical objects and moving into other areas of your life.

When it comes to minimalist curation, I'm always blown away by Into-Mind. This post about her fall makeup bag, which is down to just 10 pieces, really impressed me: http://into-mind.com/2014/09/21/my-10-piece-make-up-kit-for-fall-current-go-to-looks. I think because she does seasonal reboots she always can reevaluate a few months down the road, but the commits to just a few things in the meantime, and I love that - she does it with capsule wardrobes also. I'm not anywhere near her level of organization, but it still inspires me!

I think sometimes minimalism is about living in the moment and coming to terms with what is. It's about letting go of desire and being willing to let go of things that aren't serving you in your life - starting with physical objects and moving into other areas of your life.

When it comes to minimalist curation, I'm always blown away by Into-Mind. This post about her fall makeup bag, which is down to just 10 pieces, really impressed me: http://into-mind.com/2014/09/21/my-10-piece-make-up-kit-for-fall-current-go-to-looks. I think because she does seasonal reboots she always can reevaluate a few months down the road, but the commits to just a few things in the meantime, and I love that - she does it with capsule wardrobes also. I'm not anywhere near her level of organization, but it still inspires me!
Well-said! I need to really put this into practice. I know that's the case, but my little magpie inside just wants to have all the things!

I also love Into Mind- she is awesome and I think I want to try out the capsule wardrobe this fall..... maybe even the whole personal style thing she said. I really need to update my pinterest as a mood board.

I'm late to the game on this thread but I am totally like that. It's taken me a couple of years to realize it. I'm getting to my capsule makeup collection. Instead of listing the products that I have "settled on", so as not to enable other, I listing the categories that I am satisfied in. I have my "perfect":

1. Daily facial sunscreen

2. Anti aging treatment

3. Moisturizer

4. Toner

5. Mascara

6. Under eye concealer

7. Concealer for blemishes

8. Setting powder

9. Eyeshadow primer

10. Setting spray

11. Eyebrow powder

Everything else (color products), I'm still on the hunt for and have lots of multiples in my collection. One day I hope to have 3 blushes (pink, peach, plum), 3 lippies (red, neutral, sheer color), 1 highlighter, 1 bronzer, 2 eyeshadow palettes (neutral & jewel tones), 4 nail polish (1 for each season), 3 fragrance (everyday, church, fancy going out). Then life would be perfect.
That's actually pretty awesome that you're just looking for color products and fragrance. I think fragrance is the most difficult one.

I've still got lots of categories where I need to find a holy grail... but right now I'm trying to make what I have work.

Into-Mind is one of my favourite blogs as well! Always love her posts.
Me too! She's so inspirational! And it shows that she puts a lot of passion and thought into her work.

I have the same problem. even when i find something i really like I A. wonder if there's something even better out there, and B. am scared they will take it out of production again.

I've fallen in love with some many products, only to find them being discontinued a few months down the line. This made me want to make sure that I always know a back-up for something for just in case, so i end up buying and trying new things all the time.

I made a list with what my ideal personal care products would be, So i am trying to bring everything down to that level. A problem with that is that my need and wants constantly change, there doesn't seem to be a perfectly curated collection of products that works for me forever. Every day, week or month i change my mind toward stuff.

minimalism doesn't come easy, that's for sure.

Latest posts

Back