Birchbox for Men - is it worth it!?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been ordering the womens box for years but never really thought about ordering the mens box.  Does you girls think it is worth it?  Are your husbands/bf/friends/etc. happy with what they get each month?

Thanks!!

We tried it this month since they had a 50% off coupon for June.  

My husband isn't fancy - he's a software engineer and "dressing up" for him is khakis instead of jeans with a Polo Shirt.  

He recently got into shaving products, which is why we thought we would try it.  He liked the product mix, but the "lifestyle" item, where most of the box's value came from, was a total dud for him (liner socks - but a win for me!)  

He's giving it another month (aka we didn't cancel in time) but I don't think he'll continue with it.  I think if the box was only $10 like the women's box, he would continue, but for $20, we're not seeing the value.

On the other hand, my Dad wears a suit and tie every day to work and his life is much more formal.  I got him a 3 month sub for Father's Day and he loves it.  The lifestyle items fit more into his style, so for him, the $20 is definitely worth it. 

My husband loves it. He has never really payed any attention to mens grooming items but when I explained what birchbox man was he said he would be interested in giving it a try. He is about 6 months in and has found some serious favorite items. He also looks forward to his box every month like its a Christmas gift. Its really cute. It has certainly boosted his self esteem because his skin and hair looks amazing with his samples.

The downside is that there aren't that many different types of mens products and he is prone to finding a favorite and clinging to it. Once he found a favorite face cleanser and moisturizer he gets bummed out when he gets new ones now. At about the 6 month mark his interest is falling because hes found so many favorite products already.

I have 3 other men in my life who subscribed and they all have mixed reviews. Once canceled after 2 months, the other after 5 months and one still loves it after about 7. It really depends on the guy.

I wish there were more reviews on this! I was thinking of getting one for my boyfriend since he is very much into grooming his facial hair and his style is more of a JCrew casual look. I just can't bring myself to spend the $20 on it when I only spend $10 if it's not going to be worth it. 

I wish there were more reviews on this! I was thinking of getting one for my boyfriend since he is very much into grooming his facial hair and his style is more of a JCrew casual look. I just can't bring myself to spend the $20 on it when I only spend $10 if it's not going to be worth it. 
I think it really depends on the lifestyle item and whether it's something useful/good for that particular month. I got one month for my husband and the samples seemed about on par with the women's subscription; I think the extra $10 is for the lifestyle item. Maybe if you look through the past few months and see if those items are something he'd use you'd have a better sense whether he'd like it or not.

My husband used to have a sub, but after the 5th box he told me to cancel. He's just isn't into all the nifty men's grooming products. I did buy him a full sized Molten Brown Black Pepper bodywash, but in general he found BBM to be underwhelming.

So far I've only gotten two boxes for my hubs and he liked the products, but he enjoys using skincare from my Memeboxes more.

Ok I want to get my husband a Birchbox man subscription for our anniversary, what is the best way to go about signing him up? Mind you he has no interest in filling out online survey things, because it's "too much work"  He has told me he's interested in some hair styling items and facial moisturizers and would be interested in giving Birchbox man a try.  He currently hoards the lotions from hotels, lol!

Ok I want to get my husband a Birchbox man subscription for our anniversary, what is the best way to go about signing him up? Mind you he has no interest in filling out online survey things, because it's "too much work"  He has told me he's interested in some hair styling items and facial moisturizers and would be interested in giving Birchbox man a try.  He currently hoards the lotions from hotels, lol!
When I signed my husband up I just added a mens box to my account, it's under my e-mail address and comes to my name, but since its not the pink box its obvious who its for. This way I can do the reviews for him and he lets me keep all of his points.

Awesome! I wasn't sure if I shod just sign up under my account or buy him a gift sub. I saw that this month's box is sponsored by The League which he loves.

Awesome! I wasn't sure if I shod just sign up under my account or buy him a gift sub. I saw that this month's box is sponsored by The League which he loves.
BBMANLEAGUE will net you 100 points at sign up even if you have an active women's sub. Pro Tip: Most of the 100 point codes are for either sub so it's just as easy to cancel and resub. Points! Points! Points!

Edit: My grammar made me look high.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a BBMAN for my husband for almost 6 months. He loves it! The only thing that is irritating is he sometimes gets items I've already received. We've gotten matching moisturizers, face wash, and the dreaded Gilchrest & Soames lotions. I signed him up under my account so I thought it would prevent dupes, but it doesn't because they are still separate. So that's the only disappointment. He gets really cool and high priced items most of the time though which is neat!

I want to get my brother (who is obsessed with taking good care of his beard) the November/"Movember" BB Man box as a one-time gift. Apparently I need to sign up today in order to get the email to pick that special box. Anyone know if I'll get an October box also if I sign up now? I don't know if BB Man operates like the women's box.

Possibly stupid question... I want to gift a BB for man for my husband for our anniversary next month, when should I subscribe?

I want to get my brother (who is obsessed with taking good care of his beard) the November/"Movember" BB Man box as a one-time gift. Apparently I need to sign up today in order to get the email to pick that special box. Anyone know if I'll get an October box also if I sign up now? I don't know if BB Man operates like the women's box.
I'm thinking you'll get October if it works like the women's sub. You'd have to wait until Nov 1st to be sure to get Nov and of course then you'll miss the pick you want it sounds like.

Possibly stupid question... I want to gift a BB for man for my husband for our anniversary next month, when should I subscribe?
November 1st is the way to be sure to get November's box.

If you choose a gift sub then you can choose any day within the next year for it ship out except for weekends. But if you're going to do a monthly you can sign up today since November boxes start going out on the 25th & they usually bill on the 15th.

I'm thinking you'll get October if it works like the women's sub. You'd have to wait until Nov 1st to be sure to get Nov and of course then you'll miss the pick you want it sounds like.

November 1st is the way to be sure to get November's box.
The men's sub works different than women's. They bill on the 15th of the prior month and ship out on the 25th. Ex. If you're billed on October 15th & your box shipped on 25th then you are getting a November box.

The men's sub works different than women's. They bill on the 15th of the prior month and ship out on the 25th. Ex. If you're billed on October 15th & your box shipped on 25th then you are getting a November box.
Ah! Didn't know it was different but it makes sense for it to be on a different schedule.

Latest posts

Back